Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.8 Tdci Focus Egr Valve

blazeman

Now then

Just a quickie for all of you. Iv seen lennys guide to fitting a egr blanking plate to a 1.6 diesel engine. Was just wondering if the 1.8 tdci was the same. I have a mk2.5 focus on a 09 plate and after seeing how everyone rave about the egr valve blanking I'm going to order my self one. eBay seems like the best bet? Is it a difficult job? I'm not a mechanic by any standards but well willing to give it a go.

Cheers

Dave

I think its even easier on the 1.8 someone will follow soon to confirm this, EGR plate stainless steel only, not alloy or a stainless one with a 10mm hole in it. a plain stainless blanking plate, you wont be sorry you bought it, cheapest and best mod by far !!!!

Didnt have to remove any parts on mine,just undone the bolt and slipped it in,was a bit tight to get it to sit properly but get there in the end,think i did remove a pipe but it wasnt hard by any means.

Like Ben says can be done without removing the scuttle tray but a bit tight easy enough to remove scuttle tray though shouldn't take more than ten mins

Ditto, the only thing that helped was a swivel head ratchet spanner, 10mm, just back off the 2 bolts, slip it in and your done.

Sweet. Sounds easy. Gonna go ahead and order myself the plate tonight. eBay the best place? Anyway is there any videos on how to fit it. Or is it in the same place as the 1.6?

Cheers for your help people.

Can this mod be done on MK1.5 1.8 TDCI

As above, I too would like to know if it can be done

Now then.

Thanks for all your help. Is the egr in the same place on the 1.8 as it is on the 1.6? Daft questions I know but...

Also iv ordered the blanking plate. Looks a lot smaller than I thought it would. And also it's symmetrical..... But then I don't know how big it was supposed to be.... Haha. Gonna have a go at fitting it tomorrow hopefully if not next week some time. Sounds like a great mod. I should really start a build diary. Cheers again for your help lads.

It's on the left hand side of the engine bay(in line with the steering wheel if you're in England)mine was symmetrical too.

This is a front view post-42513-140918596301_thumb.jpg

This where the plate goes,although you want have the vision the picture shows unless you take the plastic off but I didn't bother. post-42513-140918603484_thumb.jpg

Unscrew the two bolts you can see there so that the gap is good enough to slide the plate inbetween .

Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Just and update.

Manages to fit the blanking plate today. Did it without removing all the shuttle plate and plastic trim. Just waiting to take it for a drive to see how she is running. Well chuffed and excited. Thanks Ben for the great pics. And all of you for getting help. :-)

Hi guys, I have a focus 2.0L TDCI, & wonder if it has an Egr valve, if so what would be the benefits if I fitted one, & also what happens to the engine if it has a blanking plate fitted,( like the end of the pipe where the Egr valve is fitted to) sorry but not quite certain what the gain is, & is it legal for MOT's ??. Hope some one can help, brian

brijohng56 fitted a blanking plate to my 58 plate 2.0 tdci last weekend car seems to run smoother with more power and the mpg has gone up from about 43 mpg to 52 mpg just kicking around the doors and a seven mile each way drive to work only down side is the engine management light is now on been told it because its a euro 4 engine ???

brijohng56 fitted a blanking plate to my 58 plate 2.0 tdci last weekend car seems to run smoother with more power and the mpg has gone up from about 43 mpg to 52 mpg just kicking around the doors and a seven mile each way drive to work only down side is the engine management light is now on been told it because its a euro 4 engine ???

Yeah euro 4 are a nightmare in my opinion,I wouldn't buy one. If the light isn't hindering the car then just Ignore it,it's common for the light come on when you blank the egr.just the computer recognising that it isn't working .

Hi guys, I have a focus 2.0L TDCI, & wonder if it has an Egr valve, if so what would be the benefits if I fitted one, & also what happens to the engine if it has a blanking plate fitted,( like the end of the pipe where the Egr valve is fitted to) sorry but not quite certain what the gain is, & is it legal for MOT's ??. Hope some one can help, brian

It won't affect your

MOT,it makes your emission output improve.what the egr valve does is recirculates the exhaust gasses back through the engine which are dirty,making the engine combust crappy air and anyone with a brain can see that's no good for a car.not really sure what the point of it is to be honest.so blocking it off prevents that,making it use cleaner air instead of recycled air,maintaining parts inside better .

• Like 1

I'm thinking I might do this myself.

Mine is a 2009 1.8TDCI.

Any recommendations for blanking plates - are the solid ones better or is the one with the hole a requisite for ensuring that the engine management light stays off.

cheers

Sc27

Hi there sc27.

I fitted my blanking plate on Thursday. It is a solid stainless steel plate. I haven't had my eml come on as yet. But the improvement that it makes is fantastic. No more lag in the lower revs. Turbo seems to start spooling up sooner and also the mpg hasn't changed at all as far as iv noticed. I'd recommend fitting one. Also I'm happier in knowing that no more used gasses are being resubmitted to the engine. Therefore no more carbon build up and generally making the engine run smoother for longer.

Also the blanking plates with a hole in them are not really "blanking plates" they do not do the same as the solid ones as the idea is to totally stop any exhaust gasses returning to your engine. Therefore making it run totally on fresh air. Doing this with a blanking plate with the hole still would let the gasses through.

I'd recommend this to anyone. It's also quite easy to fit with or without taking the scuttle tray off. Just more fiddly if you don't. Hope iv helped you out there matey.

Dave

Dave

Thanks for that and apologies for delay replying. Any recommendation on a particular blanking plate? - there's plenty on eBay, but recommendations are always handy.

Cheers

Sc27