Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hi Folks

samsparro

I am new here to the forum, but had quite a few mondeos over the years!!!

Just a quick question about my 2006 2.0l petrol ghia and it's fuel economy.

I am getting about 300 miles out of my tank till the fuel light comes on (mix of motorway and town driving) which I am not sure is enough?

Should I be getting more?

I keep imagining a strong smell of petrol once I switch off (or so my wife says I do )

Ta

Sam

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Hi. Im a new Mondeo driver with a 2006 2.2 TDCI and Im currently looking at 575 miles to a tank so Id say you should be getting more

You can't compare a diesel to a petrol with miles per tank! I believe your fuel tank is 58.5 litres, if your fuel light just comes on at 300 miles, its approx 40 miles more in the tank which works out to 26 MPG. Depending on your driving style etc 26 MPG is possible, but I would say unlikely. I would expect 32-35MPG out of a 2 litre lump with normal driving. If you can smell petrol you may have a leak, which would explain the lower economy.

Hi guys i got a 2001 2lt mk3 mondeo petrol i get an average of about 360 miles to a tank mostly town driving and upto 450 on a trip to cambridge per tank and thats being right foot happy to. However iwhen i got the car i did notice the fuel filler pipe was leaking so got some metal repair putty and put it over the hole as a temp fix as it was near top of the pipe...You may try taking off engine cover and see if theres any petrol leaking around the engine ??If not maybe around fuel filter or return pipe hope this helps

Cheers for the replies. I am off to Devon on Friday so I will see what it's like on a run to empty a tank...

300 miles just doesn't seem a lot to be honest.

I will have a look under the bonnet as well to make sure there isn't a leak anywhere as well

Its probably in need of a good strong service. I would say give it the full works!

Also give it a teraclean service and you will be getting a lot more from it!

Well after my run to Devon on Friday (a mixture of 50 mph roadworks and 70-75 mph on the cruise control) I got to 277 miles and then filled up ready for the return journey.

I put 32.5 litres of fuel in, so if my maths are right that's about 39 mpg when I convert it all over?

And on my return journey when I was in a bit more of a rush (!) I have just got to 300 miles with 3/4 of a tank left...

So that's not bad I think for a 2lt petrol car.

However, since coming back it seems like it's almost running rich when doing local runs. It revs like its cold even today when it was 20c outside, and seems to smell really strong of petrol.

Will plugging it into a diagnostic computer tell me if it's running too rich?

Plugging it in will tell you an error code if one exists, but it could be as simple as a dirty maf sensor

Maf is the mass air flow sensor. Where the air filter is, there is a pipe that takes the air to the engine, on there is a plug in electrical connector, which is the maf. It reads the amount of air rushing through by working out how cool the sensor is getting.

If you remove this sensor and drown it in electrical contact cleaner this will clear it up and make it read better what is happening and gives more accurate readings meaning better economy and power

Okie dokie. I shall have a look at that tomorrow and see if it needs a clean.

Someone earlier made a good comment about a good service, I did buy it with a full service having been done, but you never know if it was or what exactly was done! So I shall explore that option as well

Definitely, some dealers consider an oil and filter change a full service. Needless to say it's not a full service lol. Definitely worth doing your own major service on it, much cheaper and a much happier car at the end