Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steering Feels Really Odd

Henners

Hi

I've recently bought a 53 plate 1.8 C-max zetec with 60k. Drove it to work this morning for the first time and the steering feels really odd!

There's quite alot of resistance/stiffness as I begin to turn the wheel, but when I turn the wheel more (say going around a roundabout), it suddenly loosens off….then as the wheel returns to the middle it feels stiff again. The stiffness only seems to affect the fist 20° of steering wheel range.

I don't have any warning lights and it's just had Ford service.

Any ideas?

Thanks

It could be a number of things. Sticky valve in the hydrolics. Partial seisure in the steering system ie: UJ on steering column. It may need the Power Steering Fluid changing.

If you bought it from a dealer I would take it back, otherwise you need to get it looked at.

What mode are you running, sport does feel a bit like this in the cmax so try comfort mode

I don't have different steering modes on my humble c-max, but thanks for the replies. The problem seems worse when the car is cold and especially turning right…It feels like there's not power steering and then suddenly it kicks in. Unfortunately after further 'googling' this sounds like a problem with these cars…people have spent £££ changing batteries, steering pumps, racks, etc and still the problem persists - and it gets worse in the winter. I fear I may have bought a turkey! The 3 month warranty only covers engine and gearbox so no hope there. Taking it to my garage on Monday…trying to stay hopeful that something cheap and simple will fix it….kicking myself for not noticing it when I test drove the car - ah well...

first off 6 month warranty is just that - a seller added warranty, however you dont need to worry about that.

Your statuary rights as a consumer are that you have bought a used vehicle from a dealer / trader and as such any faults on the vehicle identified within the first 6 months are deemed inherent faults. It is down to the seller to prove that the fault was not present at the point of sale, and any idiot selling a car who would rather pay out for an investigation to prove that it was is probably out of business by now.

Call him back, tell him that you have spoken with a solicitor friend and he has advised that your stuart rights under the sale of goods act need to be acknowledged and that you are requesting they repair the inherent fault on the vehicle, or offer a full refund for the cost of the vehicle and assosciated expenses.

Then tell us how quickly he has offered to drag it in.

My trader tried it on with me. I have an airbag error and an air conditioning error. Got a bit of advice, through it back at him, his first response was "its an engine and gearbox only warranty" so after I played the game with him and educated him to the stuary rights, the aircon has been repaired at a cost exceeding £400 and also the airbag is going in for repair next week. Along with the fact that I am getting the thermostat replaced (meeting halfway on the cost)

Thanks for your advice James. I must admit this is my first car, so I'm not experienced in dealerships etc! I didn't even think going back the dealer was an option.

Please can I give you some more information, and let me know what you think?

2months ago: viewed car 120 miles away, nr inlaws, test drove it and all ok apart from steering wheel vibration, dealer said he would get the wheels aligned.

1 week later: father in law went and tested it for me, all fine, I gave him the go ahead to buy it on my behalf (hot summers day, so I suspect tight steering problem not apparent)

Car sat on father in laws drive way for 5 weeks

1 week ago: I picked up the car on a hot day, drove it home, all felt fine.

This week: every morning I've had the tight steering problem until it heats up.

The car has done 200 miles since purchased. A 3 month 'engine and gearbox' warranty came with the car.

Sounds promising for a claim don't you think?

Definitely, heat caused expansion and hot days warm the systems and maintain a workable temperature, thus the issue was hidden when it was warm. My airbag light was off on hot days likely because the copper expanded and made a solid connection. But cold days it contracted and broke the connection. Now it's permanently on temperature doesn't affect it.

Given the distance between you and the seller you have grounds to request taking it to a local garage and have them settle the bill otherwise state you don't feel it's safe to drive the vehicle and if you need it recovering you have been advised that your rights state that any recovery fee (250 is the average for over 100 miles) is liable by the seller and so you will expect them to foot the bill.

You have grounds that's for sure but if you get questioned too much blag it, half the time these people know as much as you do and won't risk being told they will foot the extra bill and won't chance it so will agree to reasonable terms such as a local independent garage or mechanics review and repair

Thanks that's really helpful. Do you think the best option is to phone them or put everything in writing?

You know what, I bet they try and wriggle out of this because since buying the car it has been serviced by a Ford garage and tyres have been replaced by kwik fit, the dealer will probably blame it on them.

Think I better prepare to do battle!

Phone them first and follow it up with a signed for letter. Regardless of tyres or service (they don't need to know either) it's am issue that is with the car and ford won't have stuffed it...

• 4 weeks later...

Mine does exactly the same, always happens on cold mornings and again like you I looked into it and found loads of people with the same problem struggling to find a cure. I do believe there was a recall on later models to rectify this but for some reason the earlier models weren't included. Will try and find the web page...

EDIT: Was thinking of something different though it may affect you. When cold the abs fails which is down to a non return valve in the vacuum pump sticking so you basically have to jump on the brakes like mad to get them to work, this usually frees up pretty quickly but it can make life a bit scary!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club