Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Fault Warning

heli195

Driving home from work today and the engine fault light popped up on the dash and the message engine fault service now came up on display. This stayed on for a couple of seconds and then disappeared. Not come on again and the car has been started a number of times. All sounds fine and drives fine. Car is a 59 1.6 diesel. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

When is the last time the fuel filter was changed.... I ask this as this part has an electrical connection to it and may be linked to the cars ECU, so may possibly be the only serviceable part to throw up a light ? These parts usually get missed or avoided at service time because it can be difficult to start a car again after replacement. If it's not been serviced for a while, I'd try this first.

I've only had the car for a couple of months and it was serviced as I brought it along with a mot. But I don't have a list of what was done on service.

As a rule, I always service my cars when I buy them, as a garage can always "say" it's had a full service (have experienced this personally) when in fact it hasn't been touched. You could always get the car plugged into a diagnostic machine as it should have recorded the fault and this may give you further information, but my first port of call would be a good service.

Cheers for the replies. It's not reappeared so I will see if it comes back and then investigate more.

If you brought it trade get it straight back to them as it's still got 1 month warranty left. Get them to read the fault codes and rectify it free of charge.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club