Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which Focus Diesel To Buy?

Pord

Afternoon all, can I ask for some advice please?

I'm in the market for a Focus diesel, either hatchback or estate. 05 new shape, ideally with 80k or less on the clock and for around £2.5k. There seem to be options on Auto Trader in this range, but I read about some (fairly serious) issues around failing turbos and DPF issues. My understanding is that the 1.6 especially is to be avoided, and to a lesser extent too the 2.0 (DPF). Both Peugeot engines, I think, as opposed to the 1.8, which is Ford built and doesn't have a DPF. I'm looking primarily for something reliable with good fuel consumption and reasonable road tax. Some comfort and extras would be a welcome bonus.

Is my understanding of the options correct? Any specific recommendations?

Thanks in advance

Pord

• Like 1

1.8 for sure.

It's a more basic engine but as you say it is a Ford engine as opposed to a Peugeot one.

It's very tuneable and robust.

No DPF to worry about.

As long as you change the fuel filter every year and keep an eye on the intercooler hoses for splits (best changed to silicone hoses) then you are bombproof.

• Like 1

I love my 1.8, you get the typical diesel sound at start up and first few minutes of driving but after it starts warming up I often forget it's an oil burner.

A remap reduces any turbo lag to hardly anything and it pulls well.

Best way to drive them is get through first and second quickly then third has all the pull.

• Like 1

Part of the Peugeot family here, 1.6tdci owner. I love it, but wouldn't mind a bit more oomph which I'd imagine you'd definitely get from a 1.8 and 2.0... So really I wouldn't recommend a 1.6, purely from the fact it could do with a bit more of power that would always be helpful in some scenarios.

Overall I've heard mixed reviews and I'd suspect that each engine owner has positives for there's and negatives for all others.

Regarding any engine with the a DPF, there is the option to gut the DPF, which is illegal, but no one would be checking inside it and if they see it there then I doubt they'd investigate.

EGR blanking would also help either a 1.6 or a 2.0... but I'd assume it'd also help a 1.8? Clive will probably be able to give an update on this, he's also given a fairly good recommendation for the 1.8, so might be the way to go.

• Like 1

Definitely blank the EGR, combined with a good remap you'll all but eliminate turbo lag and get better mpg and throttle response.

For the money you want to spend I would say go for the 1800 it does have an old antiquated rough engine BUT pretty bomb proof and reliable, as you may have read the early 1.6tdci suffers from turbo failure etc etc etc,.so unless you have deep pockets stick with the 1800.

I personally love my 1600 TDCI and the French engine much better with the EGR blanked,

Basically you get the best you can afford and be happy, every car will have some sort of niggle....

• Like 1

I suggest a test drive in a 1.6 and a 1.8 and see which one gives you the biggest smile before you decide.

Be aware that the DPF will rear it's head at some point.

• Like 1

1.6 TDCI owner here and very happy with the car/engine since getting a tuning box. Stock it's pretty gutless and boring. Add the tuning box, it's a different story. My car was part of a fleet in the UK and it was well maintained by the company. Always serviced at Ford dealer and most probably done mostly motorway miles. I drive similar journeys and as such no problems with the dpf. So, if you find a good Focus and your driving includes mainly long journeys, I reckon you should be ok. What you save on getting a 1.6tdci, you either can get a higher specced car e.g Zetec/Titanium or map/tuning box plus egr blanked. The great thing is that you have options as the Focus is a fairly popular car and there are plenty to chose from. Happy hunting :)

For the money you want to spend I would say go for the 1800 it does have an old antiquated rough engine BUT pretty bomb proof and reliable, as you may have read the early 1.6tdci suffers from turbo failure etc etc etc,.so unless you have deep pockets stick with the 1800.

I personally love my 1600 TDCI and the French engine much better with the EGR blanked,

Basically you get the best you can afford and be happy, every car will have some sort of niggle....

Just the early ones? I have a 57reg, hope mine holds out...

sorry Ian but yup the early mk2 BUT providing the correct grade oil is used and changed regularly then no reason for it to go wrong,

I chose the 1.6 because in my personal opinion the Peugeot/citroen engines are one of the best diesel engines in the world, they were super advanced when I worked on them 20 years ago,but like I say that's my personal opinion....

• Like 1

sorry Ian but yup the early mk2 BUT providing the correct grade oil is used and changed regularly then no reason for it to go wrong,

I chose the 1.6 because in my personal opinion the Peugeot/citroen engines are one of the best diesel engines in the world, they were super advanced when I worked on them 20 years ago,but like I say that's my personal opinion....

Well I might be ok.. Mines a mk2 but it's a Dec 07 mk2, (just looked, it was built in november, registered december) just before the mk2.5 came out...unless you're classing mk2.5's as "late mk2's" :lol:

I wouldn't mind a little more from the car. I don't know whether being an estate means mine is carrying significantly more weight... Then again me being 100kg's+ probably doesn't help either...

I have my MOT coming up soon, after that I might blank the egr when I get some spare time/don't need the car at a moments notice..

does blanking off the egr not give fault codes where is the egr on cmax

paul

Occasionally a fault can show but very rare.

On a 1.8 it's at the rear of the engine tucked up under the scuttle panel.

1.6 tdci here, with regular service and some motorway driving every so often the dpf will stay in good condition, being a none serviceable dpf on Mk2.5. I can't fault the 1.6 but as already said it could do with a bit more power.

If I'm honest I would go for the 2.0, stock power numbers aren't that impressive on the 1.8 compared to 1.6 and for and estate I would the extra power of the 2.0 would be better.

Although saying that my car is low mileage and a 80k mile car won't be the same so it would be wise to go for a 1.8 to avoid turbo or dpf issues.

Advantage of the 1.6 is of course £30 road tax mk2.5 and economy is good

Thank you gentlemen for some great advice. How did we ever buy used cars before the advent of t'interweb...?

George

• Like 1

Thank you gentlemen for some great advice. How did we ever buy used cars before the advent of t'interweb...?

George

With a wing and a prayer... :lol:

Sent via carrier pigeon using Ford OC

• Like 2

The 1.6tdci in the mk3 is alright also.

Occasionally a fault can show but very rare.

On a 1.8 it's at the rear of the engine tucked up under the scuttle panel.

where is it on 1.6 tdci very tight engine bay compared to my passat i had

paul

I bought my first car without the use of the internet. But as I had just passed my test, my dad took me to a local used car lot, we went to the back where we saw the cheapo part ex motors, and I looked, found cheap and just bought it outright. Thought no point looking for the best runner as it will eat my budget, and any issues I can fix myself and learn from it!

Second motor was my Fiesta Finesse 54 plate (MK6) decided one day that the head gasket was going on the first car (poor thing fought, won and then died!) so I had to get it swapped quick! pulled into the local Evans Halshaw (other dealerships are available) and just went for a nosey. Found myself a next to brand new 54 plate (3 year old) Fiesta Finesse, with only 9000 on the clock, the car was immaculate, the engine barely run in, and I got it for an absolute steal (yes, even through the dealers!) and I wangled them down on the price even more. Paid about £3.5k for that car, heck I am sure the finance was costing me more than the outright fee of the car.

Every car since has been with the abuse of the internet, and damn it makes life easier!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club