Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A Few Questions About My New Car Purchase!

nbuuifx

I normally spend ages researching about new (2nd hand) cars but today saw a nice Mondeo Titanium and put a deposit down.

It's a 2.0L petrol with 48k on the clock.

It all seems very nice just got a few questions whilst I wait until I can collect it!

I have the Sony 6CD DAB radio and the convers+ screen.

Should it have a USB connection or were they optional? I noticed it had an aux in 3.5mm jack in the glove box on the right edge, but didn't notice a USB anywhere.

With the bluetooth will that let me play songs from my iPhone without having to plug it in? Or does it just do calls?

It's got a warranty so is there anything particular I should look out for in the first 6 months?

Also what is the service schedule like on these? The dealer offered a service package for £10.99 for 2 years which gave 2 services and 2 MOTs - just trying to work out if that is worth it!

usb is optional, to fit it you need to update the Bluetooth-Voice control module which is situated above the Glovebox behind the facia, remove gloverbox to check module, don't be fooled that it has a usb socket (this is for service only.

you should find a 8M5T-19G488-AN BT/VC Module if so you need to upgrade to a 8M5T-19C112-AP BT/VC/USB Module.

A = Language (English) , last number is issue, this is a straight replacement plus add a standard USB socket lead and no reprograming by ford i.e. plug and play, it will also show track names and artists (or whatever you put on mp3,s)
on both Dab and Convers and controlled from steering wheel buttons, its hell of lot easier using a memory stick than 6 CDs, I believe it well worth doing, it cost me about £70 all in with module off Fleabay.

If I remember the fitted module only does phone, I am certain you need to update as above to have AD2P or whatever to transfer music from phone to radio.

Mines a 2.0ltr petrol on 129,000 miles and nothing as gone wrong since I bought it 15 months ago, is that 10.99 a month,

you can check etis to see whats fitted to your car and a service schedule.

Thanks for the reply, the car has voice control and bluetooth. Where would the USB port be located if it did have one?

Yes the servicing/mot deal was 10.99 per month. £263.76 in total over the 2 years for 2 MOTs and 2 services. MOT usualy costs me £40 so 2 services for £183.76 - Approx £90 per service and it spreads the cost out. Doesn't seem too bad a deal?

Yes it seems a fair deal, the USB port for that year would be expected just inside the glovebox on the RH side, later models seems to have had them in the centre Console, not sure if that came with mk4.5 with DRLs i.e. facelift models.

I am very happy with the Petrol, can move if needed and can get upto 48+ mpg on a run but down to 30 mpg or less locally, but my locally are mainly regular 2-3 miles but without the expensive maintenance of diesels, albeit I am not high mileage now.

has I said check ford etis it will tell you everything the car was fitted with at manufacture including date etc.

When you get the car Check the converse version, I think the latest version for that year is 1007 which should have a curly bit and ok on the bottom rh of lh side of screen to cycle thru instantaneous mpg, average mpg, miles to empty, miles travelled etc plus reset via the ok button on steering wheel. have fun.

By the way Ford dealers seem to have various flavours of service.

Thanks for the replies,

I had a look in the glove box and saw the 3.5mm jack socket so I guess I would have seen the USB and didn't.

Will have a look at the code on the BT module when I pick it up. Fingers crossed will be picking it up on Wed or Thur.

Have now picked the car up - very happy with it.

It looks like I don't have the USB but would like it so will look into what I need to do to get it.

Only thing with the car that I'm not 100% happy with is that, when we first went to look at the car the battery was flat. They said they would test it and charge it and they said it came back perfect - However I sat in the car for a few minutes (fiddling with the stereo) after driving and it popped up a message saying "Low battery". Is this a message that pops up frequently or am I likely to have problems? Tempted to phone straight away and say I'm not happy but would like advice if they are all a little sensitive. Radio switched itself off shortly after the message came up. The car still started later though.

When you get the car Check the converse version, I think the latest version for that year is 1007 which should have a curly bit and ok on the bottom rh of lh side of screen to cycle thru instantaneous mpg, average mpg, miles to empty, miles travelled etc plus reset via the ok button on steering wheel. have fun.

By the way Ford dealers seem to have various flavours of service.

The convers+ version is 1007 (from the test screen). It has the curly arrow too.

For the bluetooth module - do I need to undo all the screws around the glove box to pull it out?

I have had the same battery low signal when had radio on with engine off a couple of times but never had a problem starting in 15 months despite car occasionly not being used for 3-4 days, seems to be a blip.

Yes you have to remove all screws to remove glovebox, it is quite easy, from memory there is 4 torx screw on front and two hex head bolts inside top, slightly pull out and remove Aux plug, light switch connection on rh side and dummy connector on lh side( (I think this is air bag deactivation switch when fitted), ! note light switch bit arkward,mine fell apart and I replaced with micro switch and led array due to being impossible to reassemble).

After removing glovebox the bluetooth module is located above the glovebox behind the facia silver trim on the dash facing towards the rear of car and involves laying on your back stretching your neck under the dash, best way is light and mirror or simply feel, module is fixed by torx screw in centre of unit, replacing is simply by feel.

Don't be put off my description ,it is quite easy, being a overwieght oap I have done it three times when later modifying light switch etc I pulled out usb cable so had to do it again,

The Ford Motorcraft 4+ service (reduced price for older cars, which have presumably fallen out of the hands of the original keeper, who was probably more willing to just splash the cash) is £119 for a minor service and £189 for a major, IIRC. The service interval is 12,500 miles or a year (check on ETIS!), whichever is sooner. Note that the services also give you breakdown insurance, and so, while they have gone up a bit recently (minor was £99 until last year), they still seem to represent a good deal and when you add in the cost of the two MoTs, that two year service plan is probably a better deal still (depending on whether there are restrictions on where the servicing can be done, etc).

Flat battery can be a bit of an issue. There is a lot of electronics in the car, and it only takes one thing to malfunction... You are also getting to the point at which, if it is an original battery, that will have less capacity than it had when new.

Mine, when I picked it up had a flat battery that the dealer replaced (...with the wrong battery and they did the job as badly as they could manage...) and has never given any sign of a problem since (compulsory wood has just been touched!), but some people have real difficulty with this. Just watch it, particularly if you have to leave it at an airport for two weeks...

• 2 weeks later...

I've eventually managed to source a module, it's 8M5T-19C112-AR - that is OK isn't it!?

The ones on eBay were selling for far too much, but managed to find that one by contacting ford breakers. It is £80 which is a little more than I wanted to pay but much less than the last couple have gone for on eBay!

Fingers crossed I should have it this week.

I have a USB micro OTG lead which is micro to USB female which I presume should do the job, I doubt it will be long enough but I can just plug an extension in. I'm not fussed about the proper socket etc as it's hidden in the glovebox and the usb stick will only be taken out occasionally to update it.

The module is a later version than mine and should be ok, unfortunately their is little if any information available of changes, you do not need a long lead depending on where you enter the glovebox and how much you need to leave to remove glovebox, I used a 800mm length and had to coil it up, I used a fixed usb socket in the glovebox but to be honest would be quite happy using loose socket as my memory stick only comes out to update which is not often.

Your setup is the same as mine apart from later version module so should be a straight swap and job done but just bear in mind the swap is rather fiddly and done mainly by feel and lying on your back at a odd angle looking up under the dash, so good luck.

The module is a later version than mine and should be ok, unfortunately their is little if any information available of changes, you do not need a long lead depending on where you enter the glovebox and how much you need to leave to remove glovebox, I used a 800mm length and had to coil it up, I used a fixed usb socket in the glovebox but to be honest would be quite happy using loose socket as my memory stick only comes out to update which is not often.

Your setup is the same as mine apart from later version module so should be a straight swap and job done but just bear in mind the swap is rather fiddly and done mainly by feel and lying on your back at a odd angle looking up under the dash, so good luck.

Sounds a similar job to the one I did on our galaxy the other day. That was changing the brake switch - that was very uncomfortable squeezing your hand into a tiny gap whilst lay on your back at an awkward angle!

Once you have done it and found out where everything is located it then becomes easy, I also fitted and wired a westfalia towbar to mine its also very foreboding the first time, talk about Meccano and hidden clips.

Well that didn't work out! The breakers was being a bit vague, ended up that they were just saying it was the right part number however the digits in the middle were wrong. Luckily I made them check again before paying.

So no go on that one, I'll get one eventually - refusing to pay more than £80 though.

£80 seems to be about the going price, I paid £60 + £5 postage but I think I was lucky, don't look specifically for a Mondeo one mine was apparently off a Fiesta

• 2 weeks later...

Right, finally got one on its way!

I've ended up with an -AN version which I believe is the oldest version capable of USB and bluetooth Streaming?!

Managed to get it for £80 delivered, hopefully will be here in a couple of days. :)

I've got an OTG lead for our tablet so I should be able to use that to convert from micro usb to full size female, then I've got a short USB extension to get it where I want it to be.

So fingers crossed it will just be a plug and play swap over and will give me what I wanted!