Do Not Sell My Personal Information

98 V6 Rumbling Noise When Cornering - Wheel Bearing?

stage1v8

Hi Folks,

I have a 1998 V6 Ghia that is making a rumbling noise from the rear when cornering. I suspected its a wheel bearing on its way out so had a look and can detect any play in the bearings and they look ok and are tight. I did notice that the bushes at the hub end of the trailing arms have a lot of play and the antiroll bar link bushes are perished.

Anyone know if its probably a wheel bearing or could the bushes cause the noise?

Just been to the local car parts store and they are quoting $478+tax for a bearing so I will be looking at getting something online as even with international shipping it should be cheaper. Just want to make sure before I spend $200+ on a bearing.

Is it a big job swapping a bearing/hub on a Mondeo with disks at the rear?

Cheers

I suspected its a wheel bearing on its way out so had a look and can detect any play in the bearings and they look ok and are tight.

I think you mean that you can't detect any play. The wheels should also spin freely, without any noise.

The bushes can cause the noise; it is more difficult to say whether they are or are not actually causing the noise without changing them, but it is certainly a possible cause. If they have deteriorated so far that there is metal-to-metal contact, when under load, then I'd say that it is likely, but it is one of those things that is a whole lot easier to diagnose if you actually have the car in front of you.

I think you mean that you can't detect any play. The wheels should also spin freely, without any noise.

Yes I did mean that :)

The wheels do spin freely and I can't hear anything.

The bushes still exist they are just very soft/loose but maybe a bit of metal on metal contact with the anti roll bar link.

I will jack the back end up again and have another look.

Cheers

Honestly, it is difficult to be certain, but I'm definitely edging more and more towards the feeling that it is bushes. If you still aren't certain or you feel that you are out of your depth doing the work, you might have to bite the bullet and get a mechanic.

Check your rear coil springs, I had for ages what I thought was a bearing issue and turned out to be a broken coil spring.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club