Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Glow Plugs Replaced.

simcor

Got car back from Garage, they have replaced the glow plugs and the fault has now gone. However he said he had trouble doing a forced regeneration but was able to.

However it has had engine system fault come up a couple of times since but it does go off with a restart. This time it's P2002 dpf efficiency below threshold 1.

He has said if I have any more issues he will delete the DPF and have it mapped out. I know the deal with this and would rather leave it standard and totally legal.

Also I have noticed I get an odd noise when coming off the gas during changing gears like a metallic rattle noise, but I am wondering what that is?

Was hoping this car would be more reliable than my ZTT but the grass is always greener as they say.

So yeah kind of not sure which way to go with this now.

I'd look at giving it a nice long blast on the motorway in 4th tbh, now that it can regenerate properly.

Agreed, mine is staying legal also.

I'm not sure he was able to do the regeneration. I have cleaned the dpfe sensor contacts the best I can and traced the pipes to see if I can feel any damage but they seem ok without taking them off. Tried a forced regeneration again and it did regenerate as it should, some clouds of light grey smoke with some big puffs of black soot also. However back to engine system fault again.

But a restart seems to clear it and no error code for dpf issues.

Gave it an Italian tune up and it runs fine. But next restart cause engine system fault and P2002-21 DTC comes back sadly and whilst power is not as badly affected as it was it does restrict power somewhat.

So I need to decide what to do.

Seems odd that the error code suggest either a blocked dpf, damaged/blocked hoses to DPFE or an air restriction as rectification issues on IDS.

Surely if it was the DPF blocked then the error codes for ash accumulation etc would be present?

I am going to see if Ford can give me the history of any work that they have done on it over the years as I think it was serviced at ford up to and including its 6 year service and wonder if the DPF could have already been replaced at the 6 year interval rather than 75K miles.

I really would like to keep it as designed by Ford ideally.

I also wonder why the engine fault light comes on but turning key off then back on quickly turns the light off.

Oh yeah I also should have added the noise between changing gears has stopped since doing a forced regen or stopping the engine system fault light from coming on. Any ideas what relevance that might have?

Seems odd that the error code suggest either a blocked dpf, damaged/blocked hoses to DPFE or an air restriction as rectification issues on IDS.

Surely if it was the DPF blocked then the error codes for ash accumulation etc would be present?

I am going to see if Ford can give me the history of any work that they have done on it over the years as I think it was serviced at ford up to and including its 6 year service and wonder if the DPF could have already been replaced at the 6 year interval rather than 75K miles.

I really would like to keep it as designed by Ford ideally.

You can have it as designed by Ford it will cost you a fortune, that you will need to pay over and over again or you can get rid of the liabilities (DPF, EGR, DMF) and have a reliable, economical and cost-effective car

The more you read on this forum the more you will realise DPFs are a very silly idea, more of a political thing for eurocrats rather than a real engineering solution - i would not have one on my car, and i bet the Ford designers/ engineers would rather not have fitted one either (the bean counters probably love them - because you have to keep spending money, over and over)

I recommend you fit a solid EGR blanking plate - between the DPF delete and plate your car will be more reliable, quicker, have a better consumption, and will never need another expensive EGR valve or DPF

the metallic sound may be your DMF on its way out (onother bit of expensive junk you have to replace regularily

One day the Eurocrats will realize the more junk you put on a car the heavier it gets and more fuel it uses, more fuel means more carbon footprint, DPFs only collect carbon that has already been made, it then often dumps it out in one big puff of smoke, concentrating it in one place (instead of spreading the particulates aroumd) and dont get me started on EGR valves

so until the Eurocrats etc become more enlightensed we are forced to "bend" the rules a little

An animal must adapt to its enviroment, because it cannot change its enviroment, a human does not need to, because a human can change its enviroment, when you are in your car, that is your enviroment, you do not need to accept the car as it is, you can change it to suit yourself, the first thing you have to do is change you perception, and not just accept the car the way it is, but realize you can change it if you want/ like

I'm sorry but the arguments do not stack up, a DPF cuts down the soot output of a diesel, so no matter how anyone looks at it that's a good thing.

It is now illegal to remove or gut and remap a car that originally had one fitted now matter how anyone tries to interpret the rules.

The biggest problem with a DPF is using it for short journeys and not having the option to regenerate it often enough, yes the DPF has a shelf life of 75000 miles, my car has done just liver 70000 miles so if it is still on it's original then it has been pretty reliable. Clutches need changing at some point as do DMF's, the difference is I went into buying this car knowing it has both or at least suspecting it might have a DPF. I already had an idea what I was letting myself in for.

My ZTT has done 147k miles on it's original DMF which again get a reputation for being unreliable on a lot of makes, generally the biggest issue is the way a vehicle has been looked after.

I am not going to argue on the political side other than to say yes I agree but a DPF still does help in the long run by collecting the soot as much as possible.

Having it gutted and remapped means insurance cost increase not too mention possible problems with MOT'S further down the line for me or the next owner. They have clamped down on removal how long before they get wise to them being gutted out.

At the end of the day no one can argue that it is legal to do either and in the worst case scenario removing it can get you in serious trouble, if that is a risk people are willing to pay good luck to them.

As for cost I have IDS and can replace the DPF myself for around 200 for an aftermarket part so in that scenario its not as expensive as doing it at a dealer. I can also do forced regens as needed.

I know all about egr valves and yes a blanking plate may go on, however cleaning an egr is not that difficult but its gets left to gunk up.

Most people just expect a car to run and work without preventative maintenance or at very little cost, I have been driving for over 20 years and know enough to make my own decisions.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club