Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Weird smell after A/C has been on.

Nipz

Good morning everyone!

It was hot in Plymouth yesterday so had the AC on and after turning it off after about 20/30 mins i noticed there was a weird musty smell coming from the fans.

I use the AC quite a lot so dont think its because its not used enough.

Any ideas?

Yes, im sure they do!

I always get that too...kinda damp? I figured i just need an air con service...another thing i can't afford lol

Maybe you should turn off the A/C and leave the fans blowing hot/warm air for a few minutes after using the A/C. This might help dry out any residual moisture left in the... pipes?

I always get that too...kinda damp? I figured i just need an air con service...another thing i can't afford lol

Yea its horrible!

Maybe you should turn off the A/C and leave the fans blowing hot/warm air for a few minutes after using the A/C. This might help dry out any residual moisture left in the... pipes?

Yea it does go away after a while but no other cars ive been in have the smell after having the AC on... weird!

Any other ideas?

Yea its horrible!

Yea it does go away after a while but no other cars ive been in have the smell after having the AC on... weird!

Any other ideas?

I've had a quick google and it looks like it's mould OR something to do with cabin air filters. The cabin air filter bit is from someone posting about an Acura though.

...using air con its best to switch off air con the last 10 to 20 minutes of your journey , leave the fans on full , this drys out the system and helps prevent bacteria forming in the left over moisture

I've had a quick google and it looks like it's mould OR something to do with cabin air filters. The cabin air filter bit is from someone posting about an Acura though.

Thanks for looking! Ive only just got home and was gonna have a wick google myself.

Do you think its worth speaking to the dreaded ford or not?

Thanks for looking! Ive only just got home and was gonna have a wick google myself.

Do you think its worth speaking to the dreaded ford or not?

It might be worth a call. See if they can work out where it's coming from and whether they'll replace it for you.

It might be worth a call. See if they can work out where it's coming from and whether they'll replace it for you.

Just spoke to ford and they said its because its a self cleaning system and its drawing in the smells from the car. If i put an air freshoner in the car he said he will help it to smell nicer!? I have a 'New Car Smell' Tree already in there so really not sure whats what now :angry:

The 'aroma' is caused by bacteria in the A/C system. Run a can of Comma Air Conditioning Cleaner through it and you'll be good to go for about 6 months or so. I do this every 6 months or so on my Focus and it eliminates the musty smell.

Hahaha...if they think you need an air freshner they should provide it! Typical ford answer.

Haven't noticed mine smelling but only had it on for the first time today as had my tortoise in the car with me (didnt want him to overheat and all!) I normally just have the window open...

As had my tortoise in the car with me (didnt want him to overheat and all!) I normally just have the window open...

Your tortoise!!!

What about poor Peppa pig; you'll have the little fellow jealous........... :lol:

After all, didn't you say that he was your favourite and now he's had his nose pushed out.........by a tortoise! :lol:

Peppa Pig got to sit in the middle and tortoise (Tom) had to sit in a box on the passenger seat. Peppa pig wouldn't stand a chance with Tom, he is 60 + and rather big!

Peppa Pig got to sit in the middle and tortoise (Tom) had to sit in a box on the passenger seat. Peppa pig wouldn't stand a chance with Tom, he is 60 + and rather big!

Don't under estimate the power of pigs!

They can be very ferocious animals at times even though they are small..........or so Piglet would have Pooh believe in one of their many adventures........ ;) :rolleyes:

Ohhh Pics of Tom please :D

I will take some pictures tomorrow as he's asleep now! He's cool though, he hibernates for half the year so Peppa pig can have all the attention in the winter!!

I will take some pictures tomorrow as he's asleep now! He's cool though, he hibernates for half the year so Peppa pig can have all the attention in the winter!!

Oh bless! Please take pictures :D My Mum used to own one...dunno what happened to him :blink: (sorry for mini-hijack!! Blame Tom!)

Sorry, Tom has stolen the thread very naughty.

He was my great aunty's but when she died I kind of inherited him! She did have two Winston and Tom but they are both girls (well Tom does) so I think he's Tomisina really. :D

oh my god this is so strange! the same thing keeps happening to me! i thought it was just me being silly. but surely our cars are to new to be smelling!! :(

oh my god this is so strange! the same thing keeps happening to me! i thought it was just me being silly. but surely our cars are to new to be smelling!! :(

Yea i would of thought it would smell like that. Going to dealer in a bit to get my waterjets sorted out so will ask again.