Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wheel Nuts

Tank1987

Hi all I'm going to be fitting a set of 18 inch Mondeo alloys, just wondering if I'll need different wheel nuts I have the 16 inch 5 spoke steels on at the moment

They will be different. My alloys have different wheel nuts to my steel winter wheels. The angle of the cone is different

Oops didnt read the steelies bit as above then

I'm thrown though, 5 spoke steels? Should that read wheels instead of steels? Meaning you already have alloys?

Cant recall seeing steels on a foci for years but i may be wrong 16 inch 5 spoke would be zetec alloys

Some Focus came with 5 spoke steelies and plastic covers that fitted directly over the spokes giving a cheap alloy substitute.

It is strongly recommended that the correct nuts are used on alloys as a galvanic reaction occurs between steel and aluminium causing the aluminium to corrode.

Also recommended to put copper grease on the area where the wheels contact the hubs too.

It's usually around the centre of the hub that can corrode to the wheel - the part which pokes through the disc. Remember on X-Type they used to have a greasing operation applying this to the wheel centres before fitting to the car.

Some Focus came with 5 spoke steelies and plastic covers that fitted directly over the spokes giving a cheap alloy substitute.

It is strongly recommended that the correct nuts are used on alloys as a galvanic reaction occurs between steel and aluminium causing the aluminium to corrode.

Also recommended to put copper grease on the area where the wheels contact the hubs too.

I wouldn't be worried about galvanic corrosion on the wheel nut area. Let's be honest, alloy wheel mounted on a steel hub with unreacted particles of copper (in copper grease) and salt water.. Is definitely a perfect place for galvanic corrosion.

We probably have all greased hubs at some point and never had any issues..

I never use copper grease on steel bolts fitted into aluminium, asking for trouble if you ask me.

• Like 1

Shell Alvania WR2 was the grease specced for greasing the X-type wheel centres.

I've never seen any evidence of nut to alloy corrosion with my cars - you can see corrosion further down the angled face where it doesn't touch the wheel but that's it.

Seeing how some wheel cleaners turn calipers completely rusty I'd wonder how that also affects the wheel nuts, hubs etc.

Thanks for replies, I will order some just incase

Yea mine are the 5 spoke steels with plastic shaped trims

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club