Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1994 Mondeo Finally Put To Rest, How Similar Are 2004 Models ?

Jon Read

To cut to the chase, I am very overweight, and tall. My current 1994 M Reg mondeo has been great for leg room and width in the drivers seat. Today I was told the MOT has failed and it will cost £1000 to put right, clearly not worth doing on a 1994 car, and so I need to get myself a new car. In my sub £1500 price range I have found many from 2003/4 that look good, some LX, some Mistral, and some Zetec.

My main concern is the leg room both length and width. My parents have a Ford, I think a Focus Zetec but I am not sure, but when I drive that I feel crooked as my left leg is being pushed uncomfortably to the right, due I suppose to all the new gadgets on the dashboard compared to my 1994 car. Now obviously I will sit it in before buying, but this is just a early warning message in case people know for sure the leg room is different in newer (compared to 1994) Mondeos.

So simply speaking, all I need to know is the leg room in a 2004 Mondeo identical to the 1994 Mondeo or not, or have all the more modern features meant the middle controls take up more width and steal leg/knee room width ?

Finally, how does the Zetec/Ghia compare to the LX for legroom ? Same year of 2004.

Thanks !!

Hi mate,

I'm not as tall, but I did used to have a 60 plate focus and I required the seat to be as far back as it'd go.

I now have a 56 plate Mondeo (same model as you're looking at) and have noticed the seat goes back a lot further. I used to have a Mk1 focus which I had to have the seat all the way back on, too.

I think you'd be safe, but find one and sit in it to be sure.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice :)

Just one more thing, what do you think best to a 2002 Ghia or a 2004 LX, both similar mileage and condition ?

This is just a passage based on taste, but I would probably go for the Ghia because I simply am a gadget lover. If the LX is a face lift, you may find it has the extra toys you prefer as standard.

It'd be more sensible to go and view them both, listen to them from startup cold. My one needs the swirl flaps (not sure if that is the official label for them) either removing or changing as it sounds a bit like the old overhead cam engines (or a sewing machine!) due to them wearing out. What i've done to prevent them disintegrating totally and ruining the engine is just disable them by disconnecting the air pipe that operates them and sealing it until I can get to my mechanic friend to have them removed. Once disabled, they are locked in the "open" position, but most importantly, won't be flapping around causing more wear. It just gives you more confidence to drive it around until it can be sorted.

If one of them has the noise and one doesn't, go for the one that doesn't. There is a lot of information on them, but in a nut Shell, it is a bit of work you can do yourself and the engines run perfectly fine with the flaps removed.

Other rules apply as well obviously, check A/C works, listen for knocks when cold. :)

• Like 1

Thanks mate. I keep reading about some flaps that should be removed, what are they and why do people suggest removing them ? Thanks :)

A link to guide you on how to remove them: http://www.talkford.com/topic/201881-20-inlet-flaps-removal/

The way my simpleton mind has understood it, the flaps are there for the same reasons as they are on the BMW and Vauxhall engines which also have them. When working correctly, they direct air "better" which aids with emissions and economy. The problem is, even on the "revised" mechanism which I believe was seen on the facelift models, they still wear out and rattle and eventually can just fall in to the block.

I rang a garage asking if they would do the work outlined in that guide but said "No it won't work as it revs too high when they aren't there, we'd need to fit a new manifold for you" - they're lying and just didn't want to do it. Once I've plucked up the courage I'm going to do it myself next week - I've bought mine to save £220 a month on owning a newer car, so losing a tiny bit of MPG vs having to replace an engine is definitely the wisest thing to do in my opinion.

• Like 1

I have a 2006 Mk3 Ghia and, as I'm only 5'10", I need the seat really far forward as there's loads of legroom.

It actually has more front space than my last car (a 2.8TD LWB Pajero)

I went for the Ghia 'cos I like all the wee extras you get with it :)

• Like 1

I have a 2006 Mk3 Ghia and, as I'm only 5'10", I need the seat really far forward as there's loads of legroom.

It actually has more front space than my last car (a 2.8TD LWB Pajero)

I went for the Ghia 'cos I like all the wee extras you get with it :)

There are indeed lots of cool extras with the Ghia. Bar the Air conditioning on mine, everything appears to work, but am waiting for a chilly morning to test the heated glass.

I've added a few bits too. Forward HD video camera, voice controlled hands free, reversing camera and digital radio adapter. Next extra will be day running lights.

Definitely useful mods.

I bought mine due to being made redundant, so it's replaced a 60 plate ford focus sport (nothing sporty about it, but it was named as such to empty the inventory of extras when making way for the Mk3 focus)

I would eventually like to go for a camera on the back - I used to have parking sensors on the focus and although I've had no problem with parking the Mondy so far, I do miss having the information there.

The car I drove before the focus was a BMW 316i (E46) and the Mondeo is very reminiscent of it, except it is much more fun to the drive. Absolutely itching to take it for a long run somewhere!

Anyone know how easy it is to replace the 6-CD stereo on a 2002 Ghia ? Although great for the time, I would much prefer to install my standard sized MP3 CD head unit.

Finally, what are your thoughts on the X-Type Jag ? Loads going for around a Jag. look too good to be true.

Replacing the stereo is straight forward, just order the correct fascia kit, wiring loom and tools to remove the old one. I'm leaving the 6 CD Sony unit in mine as it has an aux input in the glovebox anyway.

Never driven an X-Type but I have a friend who drives an S type and his Dad has driven Jags for a few years before as well and both have no complaints. I believe they are underneath the stuff we actually see, a Mondeo. I guess it'd be like an ST Mondeo but with a LOT more luxury in it.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. I just bought a 2002 Ghia. Firstly, love the drive, so very smooth and nice, however I have got a couple of minor niggles about the drivers seat. I am a huge guy of approx 30 stone, and I found my 1994 Mondeo LX really roomy and spacious and comfortable, but for some reason the Ghia is much tighter on driver space. Did Ford change the cabin space design ? I feel much higher up in the Ghia than with my '94 Mondeo which seems very low. I know this Mondeo is meant to be 3" wider, not smaller. I am wondering if it is due to the electric seat, the motor doesn't seem to work on it. I can move back and forward okay, or tilt, but I can't seem to up and down the chair. But even if I could lower it I am wondering if this will help. I can't currently put the seat belt on as I am too fat, but my 94 LX and my parents C-Max all fit me fine without even being tight.

If I needed modifications done, to make the chair more comfortable for me, can these things be done by the Ford garage ? How much does fixing the cogs cost if that is the reason for the electric switch on the chair not working ? Can they put longer runners on to make the chair go back further ? Also this will sound crazy, but the lumbar support seems to be bugging me a bit too as it is digging in my back, can a old '94 LX chair be put in place that doesn't have such support ? It is only because I am so huge with back issues that I have these problems, to most normal sized people it is probably sheer comfort. I went with the car because I have a feeling all modern (comparison to my old car) will have this sort of space issue, I couldn't think of much more spacious cars than a Mondeo, and I know modifications can probably be done.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club