Do Not Sell My Personal Information

K&n Panel Air Filter

Hippo

Has anyone fitted a performance air filter such as a k&n one? If so did it give better throttle response and make any difference to power? They claim to give 5bhp as the standard filter doesnt let enough air through. They cost about 30 pounds so before I buy I wanted to see if anyone else has got one

Thanks for reading

The claim usually has a small disclaimer attached stating that the car may need a re-map or other mods to get the full 5bhp figure claimed

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

they do give a small gain allow the engine to breath better dont require replacement ive had them in all my cars and wouldnt look back as standard my ti vct is meant to have 115bhp max 120bhp ive got over 126bhp with just the filter

• Like 1

never dyno'd mine with the K&N but did feel a bit revvy'ish once fitted :mellow:

Ive done a lot of research on this - ti took a lot of time/ effort to wade throgh all the BS

It depends on the car -

On some it made no difference at all

On some (NA) no difference in power but a slight increase in throttle response

On some (NA) there was a slight increase in power at very high revs (typically 1-3Hp)

On some turbo engines,lag is reduced a bit from low revs and throttle response improved, but no or very slight increase in power - this is typical (what you might expect) from most turbo-diesels

On some cars/ engines new stock/ K&N (or any other make) or no filter at all makes no difference, this is because other parts of the intake/ inducion system are more restrictive than the filter element

In general you can expect no difference or only a slight difference in power compared to a fresh stock filter - typical independant measured gains are 1-2Hp, you need 10% for a noticable difference in power, though you might notice better throttle response/ reduced lag - or more noise

Often, a "sports" replacement filter replaces a dirty, clogged stock filter so the noticed improvement is due to that - like for like / new for new is a fair comparison

K&Ns are oild cotton filters (like green cotton) they allow small dust particles in when they are new (which can cause bore wear), and need to build up a layer of dust to start filtering properly - stock filters filter out small dust particles, straight from new

a stock filter does not last as long as a K&N (or similar) but a stock patterrn filter costs £5 and a K&N £30 - 6 times as much

I run a stock (paper) filter on my car - (369Nm - independant dyno stock is 209ft-lbs, off the top of my head) - i need to because the CAIS goes into the wing and i tend to pick up road dust from the wheel - the paper filter filters this out and the K&N would not - a K&N would ruin the engine - if i re-located the intake i might consider it, though - who knows - i might need that extra 2Hp

Better get yourself a remap - 9-times out of 10 will make a bigger difference and is probably more cost-effective/ "bang-per-buck"

• Like 3

Ive done a lot of research on this - ti took a lot of time/ effort to wade throgh all the BS

It depends on the car -

On some it made no difference at all

On some (NA) no difference in power but a slight increase in throttle response

On some (NA) there was a slight increase in power at very high revs (typically 1-3Hp)

On some turbo engines,lag is reduced a bit from low revs and throttle response improved, but no or very slight increase in power - this is typical (what you might expect) from most turbo-diesels

On some cars/ engines new stock/ K&N (or any other make) or no filter at all makes no difference, this is because other parts of the intake/ inducion system are more restrictive than the filter element

In general you can expect no difference or only a slight difference in power compared to a fresh stock filter - typical independant measured gains are 1-2Hp, you need 10% for a noticable difference in power, though you might notice better throttle response/ reduced lag - or more noise

Often, a "sports" replacement filter replaces a dirty, clogged stock filter so the noticed improvement is due to that - like for like / new for new is a fair comparison

K&Ns are oild cotton filters (like green cotton) they allow small dust particles in when they are new (which can cause bore wear), and need to build up a layer of dust to start filtering properly - stock filters filter out small dust particles, straight from new

a stock filter does not last as long as a K&N (or similar) but a stock patterrn filter costs £5 and a K&N £30 - 6 times as much

I run a stock (paper) filter on my car - (369Nm - independant dyno stock is 209ft-lbs, off the top of my head) - i need to because the CAIS goes into the wing and i tend to pick up road dust from the wheel - the paper filter filters this out and the K&N would not - a K&N would ruin the engine - if i re-located the intake i might consider it, though - who knows - i might need that extra 2Hp

Better get yourself a remap - 9-times out of 10 will make a bigger difference and is probably more cost-effective/ "bang-per-buck"

I agree on this one. I stick to a stock filter and clean it with compressed air in between service intervals. I used to give performance filters a go in the past cars I had but honestly noticed no differance only my wallet lighter lol!.

I say if you have a stock engine keep it standard and service it regularly to keep it in top shape this way you'll get the best from the engine if you want or need power then buy a car with that as standard because in the long run it saves Hassel and money. Just my 2 pence of info lol!

• Like 1