Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.8 Tdci 2010 Focus, Slight Oil Leak?

talksy

Hi, I have had my 2010 Focus for around two years now.

Below is a picture of the engine when I bought it - nice and clean no dust or oil.

I have noticed over time that there is an oily build up on and around the black pipe at the back of the engine. This runs out of what I assume is the shiny metal turbo and round and under the orange screenwash box.

The shiny metal thing which I assume is the turbo is black down the left hand side now (where the pipe goes in) Is this normal? I have no oil patches in my parking space and there appears to be none on the plastic engine guards at the bottom of the engine?

Does the clamp maybe need tightening?
Can take a picture of it now to show the difference. Car had 23k when I took this, it is now 58k and serviced every year since purchase.

ScreenShot2014-09-27at182912_zpsaff1f3d9

A recent picture will help. Pull the engine cover off when you're taking it just in case it's not limited to the Turbo

Anecdotally I've heard that the Turbo's on our 1.8s can give problems - you might have a leak there.

Out of interest, are you kind to your engine when it starts? Revving the hell out of it within a few seconds of switching on can cause damage as the oil won't have had time to circulate.

if youre talking about that 90 degree bend pipe next to the radiator tank, thats probably just the intercooler hose that is split and needs replacing. it will leak out some oil as abit of oil is circulating around the intecooler system. common issue on this car. its best to replace it with an aftermarket silicone hose, which will last the life of the car.

this is the silicone version of the pipe http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FOCUS-1-8-TDCi-MK2-INTERCOOLER-TURBO-HOSE-C-MAX-1496238-ROOSE-/251434801518?pt=UK_DIY_Materials_Plumbing_MJ&var=&hash=item80238bcf4e

Hi there,

Thanks for both of the posts.

I most certainly do not rev the hell out of it when cold (Good question though), never used to when I had my petrol and no certainly don't with this - my first diesel. Until the temp hits middle (not sure what the actual temp is) I lay off the revs. It works really well as the time it takes me to get to the motorway for work, is just enough time for it to warm.

I will get some more recent images and post back. If it is the intercooler hose as @IINexuxII has mentioned, would this be an expensive job?

I am told these engines are supposed to be quite good and relatively bullet proof. Have not had a single engine related trouble since owning, and it is very economical - has saved me a great deal since the days of a petrol 1.6.

Will take some pics of engine bay tomorrow and post up. Thanks again for your posts :)

As promised, here are some pictures of the area of interest today, certainly not as slick and shiny as it used to be.....

IMG_0297_zps7353569d.jpg

IMG_0298_zps990f1d62.jpg

IMG_0296_zps44fdc141.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

take that pipe off and inspect it for cracks, high possibility it will just be that

take that pipe off and inspect it for cracks, high possibility it will just be that

Thanks, ok so it is not sounding like anything too serious.

Other than this, car has been perfect, very pleased with it.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club