Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Egr Blanking Plate...alternative?

djb2

Hi Guys,

your comments would be most welcome here.

I have a 2004 mk3 tdci 130.

Iv owned it for a few months and love it. Its a higher mileage but all I could afford.

I had an issue with smoking on acceleration and obtained help and advice on this and another popular facebook based forum.

Somebody said that as an alternative to the egr blanking plate modification another even more straightforward solution was to block the turbo to egr vacuum pipe.

This effectivly stops the egr valve opening and the overall effect is the same as the blanking plate modifiacation in that it stops the exhaust gas being recycled.

It took me just minutes to take the vaccuum pipe of and insert a plastic plug snuggly into the small length of pipe that connects the pipe onto the egr. There is a plastic juntion piece far narrower than the plastic plug so there is no chance of it working its way along the pipe and getting anywhere near the turbo. Also if I ever wanted to reverse it I simply need to remove the short length of pipe and push out the plug.

This effectivly shuts down the egr valve. The turbo also seems to be more responsive.

The effect on my car was instant.

The car is now a lot more responsive and a little quicker. The turbo kicks in earlier and above all the smoke problem is cured.

The only way I get any smoke is when I floor it really hard but that is down to unspent fuel...but i get that with the much earlier mondeo we have in work so thats normal.

Has anyone else done this?

Any comments appreciated.

As an aside I am going to send off for a blanking plate ...as everyone else seems to recommend them and I feel the job would be more complete.

Also I have no EML light on (iv read that can happen on some engines).

I believe I have a euro 3 engine?

Thanks

This method is suggested and used by alot of people, but.

It only works if the egr is, either in fully working order or jammed completely closed, if not then the valve could be open to some extent and allow gases through.

The blank stops the gases completely whether the egr is working, faulty or open.

Also it won't work for the mechanical egrs

Ok.

Well my EGR must be mechanical as there are no electrical wires going to it. Simply a small pipe attactching to the top (which is the vaccuum pipe I plugged). It has made a big difference to the running and performance of the car and has reduced the smoking issue considerably. The engine also sounds better. No EML light either. I take it the EGR valve is in the closed position at rest until the vacuum opens it (which mine now does not do). Therefore by default my EGR must be operational.

:)

As I say I am still going to fit the blanking plate

I would say be carefuk, you shouldnt use a plastic plug. The exhaust gasses are hot and this may cause the plug to melt and cause damage, so I dont know if the plastic plug is common or not, but I would personally be using something steel to prevent it blowing through.

As for the smoke, it sounds like you have a crack or split in either an intercooler pipe or hose.

No. That was my mistake. I should have updated (thats cut and paste for you).

I initially tried the plastic plug then replaced that with a steel plug (actually the end of a cycle brake cable which did the job perfectly).

It is a permanent fix if I just leave it I suppose and I am only ordering the blanking plate as 'everyone else seems to have one').

How do I check the intercooler hoses? Wont there be some kind of leaking?

Intercoolers are new too me....never even realised mine had one !

If it's diesel yes you will have one, but I'm on the app so can't see your car lol. If it's diesel you need to look at the thick black hoses going from the turbo down to the front corner of the engine bay

Ok.

Well my EGR must be mechanical as there are no electrical wires going to it. Simply a small pipe attactching to the top (which is the vaccuum pipe I plugged)

My mistake in describing the egr

There are three egrs on the mk3

A vacuum powered one (euro3) which it sound like you have. This just has the hose and no electrics. The EML almost never comes on on euro3s.

A vacuum powered one but also with an electrical connection (euro4) this works the same as the previous one but when you blank the egr or block up the hose the EML more likely than not comes on.

The mechanical one (also euro4) where there is no vacuum hose as all and its just an electric motor that opens and closes the valve.

If you only get smoke when you really boot it, this could be normal. Excessive smoke often means an egr problem of split air hose, as James says the hose just before the egr is the usual one to split but the others have sometimes been known to.

If there comes a point where you think a hose is split, a visual check doesn't always show the splits. The best way to check is to remove them and give them a bit of a twist which will open up any splits.

Silicone hoses can be bought on eBay for less than half the price of fords rubber ones and will last alot longer too.

Thanks for that.

I have an egr blanking plate on order hopefully to come tommorow.

Yeah mine is the euro 3 with the simple vaccuum pipe...I like simple!

In as far as the smoke being caused possibly by a splitting pipe....im just interested in the science or process behind it.

Presume the pipe fetches the exhaust gases as they are produced then feeds the 20% or so via the EGR valve and into the air intake (terrible idea!). So balnking it off means it all goes out the pipe.

So if the pipe is split how does it cause smoke....Im new to diesel engines but find it all fascinating.. especially when you can fix a 130 bhp myself !

It's more so the air intake pipes. Diesels take air from the filter, push it through the turbo and through the inter cooler pipes and hoses. If they are split, the air pressure leaks out the ratio of fuel to air is disrupted and more fuel is throwing in thinking there's enough air, then it doesn't balance...

Now it makes sense....so what pipes am I checking?

Air intake ?

I replaced the air filter yesturday...the other didnt seem too bad but as I havent had the car long at least I know its had a new one.

So from the air intake box back I presume I follow the big pipes and check all for security and splits...any common things to look for?

Now the blanking plate thing makes sense as I guess the car just breaths pure air.

EGR Blanking plate now fitted. Car is more responsive. Job done.

:rolleyes:

• Like 1

Good result :-D are you still getting smoke?

The perfect cheap solution

Certainly seems that way.

I checked the intake pipes and hoses and they all seem ok although I know some splits cant be seen until removed.

When I accelerate now say to overtake I no longer leave a smoke screen.

I have to really floor it hard to see a bit of smoke but I can live with that and I think its normal for a diesel. I was overtaken by a BMW 4x4 poshy car yesturday (I know...he crept up on me!). He was chucking out far more under hard acceleration than me.

The engine is more responsive and I am happy with it.

Just got to source a Mercury grey back hatch in South Wales area as mine has a dent in it and may finish off with a set of leather seats if I can source some cheaply.

Oh and I may go for an ST grill and back badge ....just because I can!

Feels like an ST to drive anyway...compared to driving a 1.8 ROVER 75 for the past 3 1/2 years !

Sounds like a plan!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club