Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Mondeo Tyres, Front-Rear Swap, Part Worns

Oxide

After buying my Mondeo last month it's starting to look like my fronts may need replacing. They still have a decent amount of tread, but they do have some noticeable wear on the outer edges on each side.

My main question is, I've been told that Mondeos (and front wheel drive diesels on general) will eat through front tyres relatively often. My rear tyres are in great condition, so would it be worth simply swapping the front and rear sets to get some more distance out of the worn pair before buying new ones?

Also, a colleague of mine recommended a tyre salesman near me who does great deals on part worn tyres from Germany. I was just wondering if anyone else has had experience with part worns and knows whether they are worth looking in to? Obviously they will be cheaper than buying new but what kind of mileage can you expect to get out of them.

On a side note, what tyre pressures would you guys recommend to get the best mpg out of a 2.2 titanium x sport? Tyre size 235/40 zr18

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

Its definitely worth swapping them as it balances the loss of tread, as long as the tyres are not worn to 1.6mm over the central 3/4 of the tyre, you should be fine.

You will probably be best placed getting a 4 wheel alignment as well to prevent the damage spending.

Part worms can be either good or bad. I used to chuck them on my old car, with known tracking issues. I have had a nearly knackered Continental (which is still going), two Acceleras, a Prestivo and a Pirelli P6. The P6 I was originally very happy with as it had tons of tread, but my brother (ex tyre/exhaust fitter) told me that particular tyre pattern was phased out when he was in the trade, about 15 years ago, which made the tyre far too old to be putting on a car really. So in my opinion, it is a gamble. I was only doing small low speed runs so it didn't bother me, but if you are doing a lot of motorway miles, I would personally buy new tyres.

Sent from my telegraph using Ford OC

I would only use part worns on a spare wheel or in time of crisis. I got a brand new excellent rated tyre for 50 quid. I did a thread about is this the best value tyre ever, a and b rated 215 55 16 fantastic tyre for the money

I personally wouldn't touch part worns unless you know for sure where they came from.

I used to buy them when I was younger to save money, but it turned out to be false economy and alot of them had invisible faults, hence why they were removed in the first place.

some examples are

I had a full set which looked perfect, but when they were on the car it shook terribly, when I went back to the seller it turned outthe car had been torched but the tyres were ok, on further inspection it turned out they were all warped due to the heat.

Others I have had, had bulges which weren't shown until the cars weight was on them, but if this was on the inside of the tyre it wasn't seen unless I get under the car without lifting it off its wheels

I also put on tyres that had slightly more wear to one side than the other due to previous cars misalignment, they also wore down very quickly

When I did more research I found out once the tyres have worn unevenly, even though you might get tracking or whatever is causing the problem corrected, the tyres will not correct their wear and stay in the already uneven worn shape so still wear unevenly.

• Like 1

Well I got the fronts and rears swapped today, took it to kwik-fit against my better judgment but they only charged me £6 per tyre (including balancing) which was the same as any local garage would offer me. Although it's looking like I'll be in the market very shortly for some new tyres to replace the old fronts.

So on that note, whereabouts do you guys get your tyres? I'd rather not pay £124 per tyre but I'm not willing to put crappy budgets on them either.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

I got a budget tyre from a local place and it was only budget in price, it was ranking up there with the 80 quid tyres for 50 each, the only difference was the name. Look around and your guaranteed to find something

• 2 weeks later...

So on that note, whereabouts do you guys get your tyres?

There are a number of places on-line, and they all seem to do better deals than the local bloke who you phone up and who sucks air through his teeth and asks you '...what have you been quoted already...'.

You could try the places listed here, but I won't guarantee the prices are the lowest. You might add to that list Tyre Shopper, Black Circles, Pneus Online, Camskill, Oponeo or Tyreleader. It depends a bit what you want; delivered tyres, fitted tyres? Partner program? And also, whether you know which spec of tyre you want (although I still think that you are usually better off making your own, unpressured choice, rather than going with what the bloke who sucks air through his teeth wants to sell you - unless you catch someone with a three for two offer, or something).

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club