Do Not Sell My Personal Information

DAB Radio

steveo

Just read an artical in the press reagrading car radios, it is saying after the switch they switch off the analouge singnal in 2012 all car radios will not work. if you want them retuned it will cost a fortune. This will also affect you trying to sell your car. Also when you are buying a new one it will cost around 200-300 extra for your DAB radio.

Does anyone no if this is true.

or have read teh article in todays Mail on Sunday

I read this as well,

IF the analog service is swiched off as suggested then its true to say your radio wont work,so that part of the article is true.

What you would need to do is buy a DAB FM device,this picks up the DAB signal,then sends it as an FM signal to your incar radio,so you wont need a new radio as such,just an add on device.

something like this:

http://www.pure.com/products/product.asp?P...Category=In-Car

In the case of the Fiesta I guess it would also work via the audio conection.

Its rather like adding a digi box to your TV to get a picture once the old tv transmissions are swiched off.

DAB in car is currently very poor reception,hence the reason very few cars are fitted with it.

Dave

thanks, a bit concerning that they can actually do this, as long as there is something to bypass this once the signal is switched off.

Will have to wait and see what comes of it

Just read an artical in the press reagrading car radios, it is saying after the switch they switch off the analouge singnal in 2012 all car radios will not work. if you want them retuned it will cost a fortune. This will also affect you trying to sell your car. Also when you are buying a new one it will cost around 200-300 extra for your DAB radio.

Does anyone no if this is true.

or have read teh article in todays Mail on Sunday

If this is the case there's going to be a bucket load of cars whose radios won't work.

And there are very few cars which offer DAB as standard so I don't think there's any need to get worried at this stage.

If you buy a focus,c max,mondeo,Kuga or s max and get the sony radio,which is standard on the high spec models and an option on the lower models,these have DAB integrated in them,

Strangely its not an option on the new Fiesta and Ka.

dave

A post on zsoc indicated that from 59 reg onwards the fiestas will come DAB enabled, allowing DAB radio to be received with the purchase of an extra part for the stereo? Don't know if this is true or not.

A post on zsoc indicated that from 59 reg onwards the fiestas will come DAB enabled, allowing DAB radio to be received with the purchase of an extra part for the stereo? Don't know if this is true or not.

They can turn it off now for me, never use the radio in either car. The only problem I could forsee for me is that TMC wold no longer work, but I could live with that no problem.

Thats all well and good but what if I don't want that monstrosity stuck to my windscreen - I am guessing it will work from the glovebox too?

Good point mate

You can put the unit anywhere you like,theres a small aerial which you have to stick on the window though.

dave

Good point mate

You can put the unit anywhere you like,theres a small aerial which you have to stick on the window though.

dave

Well lets hope that they bring someone out better than that by 2012 or I can see I will just have to make do with my iPod plugged in - mind you most radio stations are pretty 'average' anyway! LOL

The one thing I miss from my old Fiesta is my DAB, if there was option to have it in my new one I'd have definately added it. If anyone finds a good way of adding it (though I know it needs it's own aerial - I had a triband on my old car) to the new Fiesta I'd like to know. That one in the link above doesn't look right :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club