Do Not Sell My Personal Information

St Seems To Struggle To Start When Hot

Peterjones

Strange one and not sure if this is normal or not, but when I have been driving and then say stop to fill up for petrol, restarting the engine can be more difficult than firing up first time.

Tonight it was a good 10 seconds, then when it fires up it stutters before coming to life.

Is this just because it's warm and vapourising the petrol or signs of something else wrong?

I would take it to the dealer to be honest. If you have warranty use it. I haven't experienced this with either of my st's , can't tell you what could be wrong but best for dealer to check it over :)

Yeah I was thinking that unless it was something that was common with them. Clearly not given your experience

Yeah that doesn't sound right. Have you got an induction kit? Could be heat soak...

Slightly off topic but do all the STs warm up so quickly? Mine showed one bar of temp last night after about 20seconds, and hadn't been started for 12 hours. Granted the weather is mild but my little ecoboost used to take a lot longer to get one bar...

Mine warms up very quick too and stays warm for ages.

Nope its the standard ST build with no engine modifications. It does get really warm like you say hence why I thought maybe it was down to this - but maybe its more serious.

i had similar problem when i got my fiesta and it turned out to be the electric fan not coming on.

Strange one and not sure if this is normal or not, but when I have been driving and then say stop to fill up for petrol, restarting the engine can be more difficult than firing up first time.

Tonight it was a good 10 seconds, then when it fires up it stutters before coming to life.

Is this just because it's warm and vapourising the petrol or signs of something else wrong?

take it back & give`em hell :)

Well that has been useless at the moment as they have basically told me that they can't see anything wrong with it and just to keep an eye on it and see if it happens again. I guess this reminded me why I never just called in with the car and used to ring up the servicing dept and booked it in usually.

Oh well I shall do as they ask and as soon as it happens again I shall be booking it in over the phone.

Try and get it on film and then show the service manager. You'll get answers then

Caught it on film today, wasn't as bad as it can be but I don't think it sounds as sweet starting as I'm sure it should do. I'll try and get a better example though before taking it back in. Not sure how to upload video here as otherwise would share it.

Just read elsewhere someone having a cylinder head failing on the engine, so maybe these aren't as good as were all told. I hope this isn't a sign of some failure like that coming up at a later date, as given how the garage works I don't hold out that much hope of them solving the issue. Lol

I can record mine starting when hot so you can compare, I'll pop it on YouTube and link it here.

Yeah I was thinking that unless it was something that was common with them. Clearly not given your experience

This shouldn't be a common problem on any car, if it was me I'd be straight back to the dealer with it.

Yeah that doesn't sound right. Have you got an induction kit? Could be heat soak...

Slightly off topic but do all the STs warm up so quickly? Mine showed one bar of temp last night after about 20seconds, and hadn't been started for 12 hours. Granted the weather is mild but my little ecoboost used to take a lot longer to get one bar...

Yeah they warm up really quickly, like no car I've driven before. Normal temperature is 4 bars and mine reaches that in about 1.5 miles or less each morning, great for warming up in cold weather :)

Caught it on film today, wasn't as bad as it can be but I don't think it sounds as sweet starting as I'm sure it should do. I'll try and get a better example though before taking it back in. Not sure how to upload video here as otherwise would share it.

Just read elsewhere someone having a cylinder head failing on the engine, so maybe these aren't as good as were all told. I hope this isn't a sign of some failure like that coming up at a later date, as given how the garage works I don't hold out that much hope of them solving the issue. Lol

The easiest way to get videos on here is to just put it on Youtube and post a link. If you're not happy with your dealer you can go to another, the warranty covers you at any Ford dealer.

My car doesn't heat as quick as that. 2 miles seen one block on gauge. By about 3-3.5 I was on about normal temp. Mine is 100ps.

I guess it depends on the kind of roads too. About half a mile from home I get up to 60 so that probably does most of the heating, although I take it easy until up to temperature.

On a couple of the really hot days we had a while back my car immediately had the first bar lit after starting, even after being parked for 11 hours! The remaining three then appeared within a minute despite not doing over 5mph when leaving the carpark.

On a couple of the really hot days we had a while back my car immediately had the first bar lit after starting, even after being parked for 11 hours! The remaining three then appeared within a minute despite not doing over 5mph when leaving the carpark.

Yeah I had that sometimes when leaving work in summer. The annoying thing is I get onto a 50 limit road right after leaving work, but the car isn't warmed up so I never get to put my foot down at that point :(

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club