Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus Mk2 Engine Belt Noise

Michael Swan

Hello,

Bought my Focus around a month ago, 2008 TDCI 1.6.

When i first started driving it there was no noises, but recently there has become a noise coming from the aux belt/tensioner area. I have took the aux belt off the vehicle and ran it but the noise is still there?

Its like a whirring sort of sound as the belt is running around the vehicle, and its constant, cold or hot.

Anybody got any ideas on this? Many thanks in advance.

it could be the water pump, cambelt? its roughly in the same area.

what is your mileage?

Does the pitch increase with revs? Or is it a constant sound regardless of engine speed?

Sent from my telegraph using Ford OC

Is it a rumbling noise or a squeaky noise?

Possibly water pump or timing belt tensioner.

Don't mean to scare you but have it investigated ASAP, could cost you a new engine if it lets go.

My mileage at the moment is only 50,000, so there should be life in the cam belt (touch wood).

The noise is the same through the revs and speed, but notice it more when stopped ticking over (no other noises around etc)

And its like a squeaky belt noise, cause i took the aux belt off but was still there, would it make a difference if i replace the aux tensioner?

Thanks for replies :)

If it is a cam belt engine and it has never been changed, I would strongly advise changing it. The material they are made of degrades through time as well as mileage. I would think it must be about due now, if not then very soon.

Sent from my telegraph using Ford OC

one thing you can try is to spray some sort of liquid on the auxiliary belt. something like silicone spray or wd40 or even water might work. if the noise temporarily goes then its definately the aux belt

Belt dressing or talcum powder if you must put anything on it

Tried some maintenance spray whilst engine running and the noise stopped but then came back after a short drive, then this morning tried some baby powder and it stopped for awhile then came back.

Aux belt looks newish though, change the belt and tensioner?

• 3 weeks later...

Changed aux belt and tensioner still no luck!

Clueless :wacko:

I also have a 2008 1.6 TDCi on 50k with a belt noise that I can't locate...

Cam belt should be fine, the interval is 10 years or 120k iirc!

I haven't looked into it tbh, but would be interested if you solve it!

does the noise change when you turn the AC on/off?

Try cleaning the pulleys with a little bit emery cloth or something to take the glaze off them.

Probably the cambelt if you say noise was still there after removing aux belt, and when you either spray or talc aux belt bits of those can work there way on to edge of cam belt and quiet it down temp. Also has coolant level gone down any as water pump can seep antifreeze on to cambelt making it sqeeak .

Hi, if it is the water pump, it's cambelt driven, not to be confused with the 1.8 tdci, it's water pump is aux belt driven, idler and belt tensioner could also be worn, if it is the water pump and it goes on the 1.6 tdci so does the cam belt. as said earlier in this topic, look ASAP as Ade said.

What was it Jon? Sure that's the noise mines making tbh. I wouldn't call it a chirp though.

Still does it. Not got any worse. Mine does increase with revs though, and tends to stop about 10 mins into the journey.

Oh right, that's good then!

Though I still notice it when parked and idling after a journey as well. Sort of sounds more like air than a belt tbh, makes me wonder if its anything to with EGR/inlet butterfly and we're completely on the wrong track...

Sound anything like this? My car has made this noise from when I got it at 17k. It's unto 50k now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YD1h3lerDg

Yeah that's like mine Jon just a bit nosier, it stays the same level noise whatever i do, just stops for a little while if i put talc/spary on belt tensioners.

The mechanic at my work said to clean all the pullys etc and see how that goes, still haven't had a chance to.

I'm not loosing any coolant either and it doesn't overheat or anything, iv'e done around 3 thousand on the car since iv'e had it and this is the only thing that's bugging me.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club