Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Probably An Old Q, But I Am Noob

Hullage

Hi All!

I have just become the proud owner of a 55 Plate Focus LX (1.6) and I love the drive experience in it (I've never owned a car so tight and smooth - 59,000 miles!).

A little shocked at the first top-up though. For 84 miles of urban motoring I got 24mpg only. When I brought her home I got 41mpg at NEARLY legal motoray speeds.

Q is - is the mpg I'm getting normal or should I look for problems/chipping-in-the-past?

Thanks

P.

All depends on your driving style I take it it has a fuel computer if so reset everything when you top up average mpg average speed and trip .you will see what you are actually getting more or less true per top up then .i find on mine once it goes to zero miles left if I leave the car for a few mins come back to it it's says 25 range left so in actual fact the average shows less than what you are actually doing if you know what I mean .not sure what mpg a petrol will do as mines a 1.8 diesel but I would of thought it will be more than 26

Thank you for the swift response!

No, no computer, just my maths. Tank was filled, a week's driving done, tank refilled. 15.9 litres used for 84 miles = 24mpg. I know the miles done were pretty much 20 to 40 mph as the majority was school or work runs.

Suppose school runs would be a killer on mpg specially in your neck of the woods stop start an all that I get the best out of mine when running to work as it's all dual carriage way 50/60 mph .when around town it really does dive on the fuel computer so I wouldn't be to discouraged .

Thank you again! You've been really encouraging! Having been used to a Diesel Alhambra for a bit (1.9 VW Engine) I'm having to get used to petrol driving again...

So, less high revs and more passive driving for a bit!

Plus, Dad's just given me a verbal slap as his Cherokee does 9mpg round town... :wacko:

Ouch my range rover does more than that around town

Scary isn't it? But he likes it and has had the LPG conversion so the mileage is no better but the cost is halved!

My 1.8 gets about 24 mpg but it is school running.

Sent from my telegraph using Ford OC

That reassures me too. Your bigger engine'll drink more but work less hard than my smaller. I think I'm happier now I don't mind the low mileage; it was a shock having come from a dig diesel, but the drive is so nice I'm happy to wear the increase (and learn to lay off the smoking-starts...)

I did a run between J15-J16 of M4, and reset the average MPG. Now this is only a few miles but the 1.8 gave me this as average mpg. The photo was taken a mile away from the junction so it dropped a bit again, but from average mpg being approx 24mpg urban it is good that it can get up happily on a run. I am going to try to get it as high as I can on a run, for the hell of it.

IMG_0187_zps39cc2653.jpg

i have a 1.6 petrol and mainly do motorway driving (approx 10,000 miles a year) and i have just got my average up to 40.1MPG thats the best ive had it

you can however disconnect the battery for an hour or so and this should "reset" the ecu and then the values for mpg will be calculated on any journeys made after that

I am wanting to crack the 40mpg barrier. I seldom drive on motorway though.

Mine only a 2006 LX so has no clever computer but this thread is making me happier about its mpg. I don't mind 24mpg on Urban if it's right for the car and it does seem to be.

One of the senior mechanics at work, unprompted, saw the new car and said "you'll love the drive but not so much the petrol cost".

First run though, Tunbridge Wells to Colchester, 41mpg at speeds of nil (M25 carpark) through just shy of 90 (overtaking). Next outside town run I'll hold at 55-60 and see what we do...

I have a St and its mainly town driving and im getting good mpg with a remap :)

post-44278-0-47103000-1412495688_thumb.j

1.6 ti vct town driving 32mpg 32.8 to be exact b roads 39 mpg minimum motorway easily 40 and above highest ive got is 48mpg motorway

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Quick further q: my new focus did, when I first picked her up, 24mpg on the
urban cycle. Last week I got 28mpg doing exaxtly the same daily drives.

The focus had stood for a while and the last owner was a squaddie, who
obviously spent large periods away (10yo car has done 59k miles). What
is the answer:

a) I'm getting used to driving petrol after years of DERV?
b) Seized/stiff or corroded, unused parts now freeing up and improving efficiency?
c) A combination?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club