Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Driving An Automatic

AllenP

I have had my Tit X Powershift for almost a month. I last drove an automatic more than a decade ago in the USA. I have bee forced to change from manual to auto transmission as I do not have sufficient sensitivity in my feet to assure a smooth ride when using a clutch. I find that the feel for the brakes and accelerator are easier to manage as engine noise and sensation of movement combine and foot sensation is not so important.

I spent the first 7-10 days using only Drive mode which was reasonable for 95% of my journeys. The only bad aspect was the lack of engine braking when coming off the accelerator requiring more use of the brakes than I was comfortable with.

After thie first week I then used Sport mode which was excellent on roads where speed was between 30 and 40 mph. The car did not change gears as frequently or hunt (up/down gears at steady 32mph). Whilst Sport mode was better at engine braking it was not good enough to prevent additional braking being required.

When descending a particularly long hill in my area I use manual mode dropping to 2nd gear on the approach which is usually enough to take me down at a steady 30mph. I also have the flexibility of dropping down to 1st if the speed increases. At the bottom of the hill one cannot switch direct into Sport mode so I slip it into Drive.-

On dual carriageways and the motorway I have been using the cruise control (never tried cc before). After selecting an appropriate speed if I find myself encroaching on vehicles in front I press the CANcel button, allow the car to drop back for a safe distance then use the SET button to keep that speed. At fgirst I used the RESume but this can sometimes kick in when the saved speed is not required. The cc is particularly good for mph and for keeping to 50mph limits.

I have read the debates on whether you should have the transmission in Drive, Neutral or Park when stationary. My practice is as follows:-

• I would only use Park and handbrake in situations where I would also be considering switching the engine off.
  • If I anticipate that I am I will be < 1minute then I would leave it in drive and apply the handbrake. I consider it discourteous to use stop lights to following motorists.
  • If delay is > 1minute I then I place transmission in Neutral and apply the handbrake

I would be interested in the experiences of other members of the 2 pedal brigade whilst I am still a relative novice. I am enjoying the new driving experience and getting to grips with some of the new toys (radio and satnav).

My last car was an automatic and to be honest when I stopped for less than a minute I kept in drive with footbrake on, if over a couple of mins I would pop handbrake on and flick into neutral. But it didn't have super mega blinding brakelights so I wasn't concerned.

Classic.

Race Mode and hit the car behind :D :D

Regarding the cruise control, do you not have the + and - buttons on the steering wheel controls?

Press and hold - to set a lower speed,

Michael,

I have used the +/- buttons to change speed but prefer using the accelerator until I have reached the desired speed then SET. This is all quite new to me and I may change my practice in the future. The accelerator pedal seems more intuitive than the steering wheel controls.

I find CC quite amazing and very relaxing.

Tks for your input.