Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Fusion + 1.4 Tdci Coolant Issues

jamesL

Hi all,

apologies if this has been asked before but I googled the crap out of this one and can't get a sensible answer. I'm really hoping that someone here can help me out.

I bought a fusion + 1.4 tdci a few months ago, used, all was good for a few weeks and then I had an issue with the coolant, as in there was none there I left it to cool down and topped up the water. I then spoke to a mechanic who suggested changing the overflow bottle lid, which I did, standard lid, along with the bottle I flushed the coolant system and put in new anti-freeze.

Again all seemed fine for a few weeks until this morning when the car cut out on me, I got to the side of the road, and checked the oil which seemed to be really low, after a while I also checked the coolant which was ok, at the max level. I added new oil and after about an hour the car started ok and I was able to get it to work.

On my way home this evening the car cut out on me, when I gave it enough time I checked the oil, and water, the oil was ok, plenty in there but the coolant had evaporated. I put in 1 litre of coolant and after about half an hour was able to start the car, it run fine and got me home without any issues. When I got home I gave the car more time to cool down and went out to top up the coolant, this time there was too much in there, it was over the max level.

I've checked for obvious signs of the head gasket going, no frothing on the inside of the oil cap or dipstick, I've checked for obvious signs of coolant leaks but can't see anything.

Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance.

Sounds like a faulty thermostat, or bad housing.

Find the housing, and feel around for any drips as a starting point.

Still possible the head gasket has gone and is leaking between combustion chamber and a coolant gallery but still being oil tight. This can lead to the engine/cylinder pressurising the coolant system hence the coolant tank level rising. Have these engines got any history of cracking cylinder liners as this can also cause this sort issue?

From the example I know personally of a blown head gasket pressurising coolant system etc the only way to confirm was through taking the engine apart - passed a leakdown test with no issues where cylinders were pressurised to 120psi (or so) but can't remember if we did a compression test as well. Know I checked everything possible before biting the bullet and having the head removed.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all,

Many thanks to those who replied, just wanted to post an update to let you know how things are going.

So about 4 weeks ago I got the car to a mechanic who checked it over and found that there was exhaust gasses flowing into the coolant system, deffo the head gasket! So I had it changed and the head had to be fully skimmed and timing belt changed. Cost me £715 all-in-all. I had the car back nearly two weeks ago and drove it for a week. Only this time I found that there was a drop in the power going into third, fourth and fifth gear. I checked the coolant bottle after the week and found there was no coolant in there, when at the start of the week the coolant level was correct. Add to this the car struggles to start and feels worse to drive now than when the car went in first time.

So the car has been back in the garage for a week but the mech says that he can't find what's wrong. They say that they have done the compression tests and run a diagnostic exam.

I'm not worried about the cost because the problem is something they have done or not done so after speaking with trading standards and finding out where I stand, they have to sort it out at their expense.

I was wondering though if anyone has any ideas what could be causing these issues, or should I go along to the garage to see where the cowboys have parked their horses.

Going through the list, and the owners manual I still think that the head gasket is the source of the problem, either they have torqued the head on incorrectly or they have not sorted the timing correctly or done something to the turbo.

I'll go through the faults again in case there is anyone out there that can advise.

Car struggles to start

I can hear the turbo sinning up between 1st - 3rd not hearing it in 4th and 5th

Car seems to be lacking power right through the range.

Coolant not lasting

Seems as though exhaust gasses are getting into the coolant system again.

Many thanks to anybody who has gone through the list and can point the way.

As for not hearing the turbo in 4th and 5th, the car doesn't know what gear it's in so I find it hard to believe it's not kicking in just in 4th and 5th. Perhaps the sound of it is masked by road or general engine noise.

If exhaust gasses are suspected in the coolant then a simple 'sniffer' test will confirm. Your local garage should have the kit for doing this. If not the head gasket again it may be damage to the head or engine block. Although I find it strange that it was ok for a period again and is now loosing coolant again.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't help, but I got some oddities with coolant too. On yearly maintenance service they noticed it dropped under the minimum, so poured a liter, or about. After a week, because I had to change rubber seals, again it was almost at minimum, so they poured in another 1/2 liters .... I almost bought all the hoses and s**** for coolant distribution at EUR150, but the next day, the level was way above max.?! it's been 5-6 months since the occasion, and coolant is still at the same above max. level. Mistery!!!

Well, just want to update everyone with what's going on. So the garage had failed to do the job properly and I went to another mechanic who said the job wasn't done properly otherwise they would have spotted any cracks in the cylinder block. After speaking to my ususal mechanic he recommended a new engine. £800 later I got the car in to my usual mechanic who can do the job for about £400. So it looks like the head gasket went and may have caused more damage but because the original mechs didn't do the job properly more damage was caused leaving me needing to put in a new engine. Should have the car back by Thursday.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club