Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cmax Tdci Power Loss

bagi13

Hi guys

Im new to this forum.

Looking for advice. My 2004 tdci cmax looses power while driving. When I pull over and start the car again it seems to run fine. I've read that blanking my egr will help stop this problem. I have no warning lights on my dash when the above happens.

Any advice is gratefully appreciated

Have you got a code reader? Cheap as chips well not quite. I have a d900 of eBay £20 I think worth an investment.

What engine size you have ?

I have a blanking plate with a 10mm hole it defo runs smoother.

Hi

No code reader but she has been plugged in and no issues were found. Ive read that blanking the egr will stop there car loosing power.

Could be a MAF sensor, I would clean the EGR before fitting the blanking plate. Even if you just spray it with EGR cleaner it will defo help.

I brought the wynns egr cleaner and followed the instructions but car sounds no where near as loud and ran better but the problem with power was still there.

Clean the MAF sensor just after the air box. You can get blanking plate of eBay for £4

Ill give that a try. Ive ordered the plate so will fit this weekend :)

Thanks for the advice

It's me again ☺

No luck with the blanking plate! All fitted this morning took her for a test drive and still has power loss.

It's me again ☺

No luck with the blanking plate! All fitted this morning took her for a test drive and still has power loss.

Still?? Is it a 1.6or 2.0tdci??

When you cleaned the EGR valve did you spray inside the inlet manifold? I know it's for EGR but it works wonders in other places.

Do this by removing the pipe that Feds from the intercooler with the car running and spray inside. It will knock slightly. You only need to spray for 1 second.

Make sure all the pipes are secured tight to their homes, check the intercooler pipes.

Are you signed up to the cmaxownersclub ?

Hi

I did that with the wynns spray last week. Im going to do a small service tomorrow. New oil and filters so I'll check over all of the pipes. I'll keep you updated with the progress ☺

Try running the car with the MAF unplugged.

If it runs OK then the MAF is foobared.

If fault is still on then you know it's not the MAF...................!

Evening 😊

Will that turn the engine management light on ? If so how much to have it turned off at a garage ?

Hi,

Yes it will put the MIL light on.

Buy a cheap code reader off eBay and reset the light yourself.

Hi,

Yes it will put the MIL light on.

Buy a cheap code reader off ebay and reset the light yourself.

Saying that if it was the MAF it will only go in to limp mode not a total loss failure. I had the same problem it went in to limp clear the fault went ok for a while and then came back.

But yes agree cheaper to buy a code reader. Fords will want about £90

Hi

Its not a total loss of power it seems like its get restricted and takes an age to get up to speed. If I turn the ignition off and on again the power returns instantly.

Disconnect the MAF plug and see if it drives ok then.

Morning

Disconnected the maf sensor and she works fine .

Why would the engine management light not come on if this was faulty? Just need to find a new one now.

Thanks fir all your help guys its much appreciated

The MIL light doesn't always come on if a sensor is faulty.

I believe the light only comes on if the sensor is not 'seen' by the ECU or it 's input falls outside preset parameters for a preset number of times or a preset amount of time.

Your MAF sensor could be falling outside it's parameters for long enough for the car to go into 'limp' mode but not long enough to put the fault light on. Maybe.........!

Easy enough to replace though :)

I had the same problem Within 30 mins of buying the car, did the same as you turned off then on problem ok but eventually it did go in to limp mode and through up a fault code.

Not sure of you did or not but have you sprayed the MAF sensor?

Morning

Disconnected the maf sensor and she works fine .

Why would the engine management light not come on if this was faulty? Just need to find a new one now.

Thanks fir all your help guys its much appreciated

Glad it's all sorted well you know what the problem is.

Hi

Yes cleaned the maf sensor same time as egr. Im picking up a new maf sensor tomorrow also the turbo intercooler pipe as I noticed a hairline crack on mine. Hopefully be running like a dream tomorrow afternoon

Afternoon all

The pipe what has the crack in it what part is this called ive taken in off and the crack is quite large 😣

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club