Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Smax - Key Not Detected

Apollo

Hi,

I have a BLACK, 2010 FORD S-MAX TITANIUM TDCI MPV.

Recently, I enter the car and it tells me it is unable to detect the key fob. That I have just unlocked the car using the fob is a bit confusing. However, the car will not start. Tried the override in the steering column and still no joy.

After a period of time (could be 1 hour, could be 1/2 day, could be longer), the car miraculously cures itself and all is back working fine!

Have taken to local Ford garage and they supposedly swapped out a relay unit (think it's the one located in the Rear inspection area by the Right Rear light cluster, and re-programmed the two key fobs (oh and also charged my £500 for it). All fixed they state.

Sadly no, as it has re-occurred. Called out RAC and they ran "their" diagnostic check on it and it flagged the following:

Remote Function: Error Code U201F - External Receiver Open Circuit

Have Googled this but not much out there.

Anyone else had this/cured this/anything knowledgable to add???

VERY FED UP!!

Just given car back to Ford Dealer and told them to fix it! Will update this Forum with their findings......

!Removed! hell 500 quid for a key?

did you try your spare 1st before going ahead with all of this?

The £500 was for a relay unit (£250) and the labour to troubleshoot and install it, along with then re-programming both my keys.

However, this didn't cure the problem.

I have however, collected the car from Ford where they have stated they have found the problem with the External sensor installed in the roof. this had some loose pins which they have fixed - free of charge!!!

Fingers crossed this fixes the problem.

Take the assumption that no further update from me means the problem has been fixed!

well good for them for fixing it free of charge eh?

but the skeptic in me has a feeling that youve probably paid for work that didnt need doing in the first place.

and the sensor problem WAS the problem and they have changed parts for no reason at all.

• 1 month later...

I had the same problem and it turned out to be a 12 v extension cable tiht two 12v outlets and 2 usb ports plugged into the cigarette lighter