Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help Required

ADY 555

Can anyone out there help me solve a problem with my wifes 04 plate ka collection 23000 miles on the clock with fsh, the problem is you can be driving along and then there is a sudden loss of power and the car grinds almost to a hault, you can drop the clutch and it revs freely as soon as you try to pull away it dies again but doesn't stall the best way to continue is to pull over switch off the engine, start it back up again and its fine, it doesn't missfire or anything like that its as though you've turned the engine off whilst driving and still in gear, ive noticed it seems to happen more when the fuel gauge drops below 1/4 of a tank ive changed,

coil pack

clutch pedel switch

engine temp switch

When i changed the coil pack it didn't faulter for about 6 weeks be then its suddenly started doing it again, no fault codes are registed, i can't help thinking its fuel related, as anyone experienced this problem or can anyone shed any light on it for me, many thanks in advance.

Ady

Could be an idea to pretty much do a full sevice, just to start afresh.

Change, plugs, leads oil filter and fuel filter etc and go from there

Thanks for that, out of that list the only things its not had changed is the spark plugs and fuel filter, all the other items have been changed within the last 3000 miles,

Ive done further tests this weekend regarding fuel, when ive been taking the fuel cap off to fill up there is always a loud hiss from the tank, is this normal? Anyway seen as the problem arisers around the 1/4 of a tank mark, ive changed the fuel filler cap and run the car almost dry before putting some more fuel in and it didn't miss a beat, and hasn't done since having done a further 50 mile since, could it be as simple as a dodgy filler cap?????

Forget the above theory, my wife has just been out in it and a mile down the road its done it again :lol::lol::lol: Any idears???

Do you ever get the feeling your talking to yourself :rolleyes:

Right the car is going in on friday to ford for an ecu softwhere upgrade, and possibly a fuel guage sender unit, these have been known to be faulty in the past and give a false reading and makes the car think its run out of fuel which mine does also, thinking about it thats the exact sympton you get when it falters as if its run out of fuel, i will keep you all posted.

Ady

Hi Ady, I'll talk to you!

My wife's Streetka does a similar sort of thing - occasional loss of power (but does not cut out) then it will spring back into life and be fine again for a few weeks. I have also checked for fault codes but nothing shown. I suspect fuel problems. I intend to change the filter and whack some Wynns in and see what happens. I'd be interested to know what you come up with on yours though.

All the best

Mark

Thanks for talking to me mark, glad someone is, but i bet there is alot of people behind the scenes intrested to know the outcome of this, does yours do it when the fuel guage gets just below 1/4 of a tank? if so its either the fuel tank sender unit that is falty or it needs a ecu softwhere upgrade so i'm told by the ford stealers, i would try the sender unit first.

Ady

Def a strange one.

Havn't heard of any ecu problems with them but like i said before, sounds like fuel issues.

Let us know bud

Thanks for talking to me mark, glad someone is, but i bet there is alot of people behind the scenes intrested to know the outcome of this, does yours do it when the fuel guage gets just below 1/4 of a tank? if so its either the fuel tank sender unit that is falty or it needs a ecu softwhere upgrade so i'm told by the ford stealers, i would try the sender unit first.

Ady

Hi Ady

The wife's doesn't seem to have any pattern to it. In fact it happened about 1 minute after she filled up once, so I don't think the fuel level is a factor. I really must try to get a fuel filter on it this weekend and put some injector cleaner through it - can't do any harm. I'm beginning to also think it could be TPS related as she now tells me that accasionally it also hangs on to the revs between gear changes.... I don't think a new one is too expensive, so might whack one on if the filter does not improve things. Keep us updated on your issue.

Cheers

Mark

Hi,

I had a bmw that would die at a 1/4 tank of fuel. it was the pump/sender unit in tank, common fault on them, could be something like this on yours?

Hi,

I had a bmw that would die at a 1/4 tank of fuel. it was the pump/sender unit in tank, common fault on them, could be something like this on yours?

steve

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update for all you people intrested in the results of my experiance with this little ford ka, took it in to ford, they all scratched there heads and said hmm! so they started off by giving it a softwhere upgrade and said try that for a week and see if its any better if not we think it might be the oxygen sensor but we don't want to start throwing parts at it if we are not sure (they were trying to keep costs to a minimum) which i was greatful of, anyway the problem still persists so ive cured it myself, ive got rid of the car, !Removed! thing. :ph34r: i would of liked to have got to the bottom of it but i wasn't prepared to keep spending money on it trying to solve the problem let the dealer sort it out.

Hi Ady

Thanks for the update. The wife's car has not had the problem since I was last on here (this is bound to talk things up!). Anyway, glad you've solved your problems. Unfortunately I would lose my dangly bits if I suggested she should get rid of it. Just hope it keeps going okay....

All the best

Mark

i think i read somewhere that it cuts out because of the HEGO sensor not working..........i've been told i need mine replacing but dont really know what it is or how it works, how important it is etc! I've opened another post with this question in. I drive an 03 street ka - but not had any cutting out on it YET!

i think i read somewhere that it cuts out because of the HEGO sensor not working..........i've been told i need mine replacing but dont really know what it is or how it works, how important it is etc! I've opened another post with this question in. I drive an 03 street ka - but not had any cutting out on it YET!

Hi Lottie,

Yep, it could be that (and it is important). I have an OBDii diagnostic but no fault code showed up to indicate this. It is possible that the HEGO got contaminated at some point and then subsequently 'cleaned' itself. Ours never cut out completely, but as I say, the car is running fine at the moment so I will wait to see what happens. Hope you get yours sorted soon.

Cheers

Mark

• 3 months later...

Hi, I know this reply is a bit late but I`ve only just read this post, hopefully this may help people with similar problems.

this sounds like a fuel tank breather problem, I`m not sure if the Ka`s tank is vented via the filler cap or a breather pipe but if these get blocked then air cannot replace the fuel being used and a vacuum is created, hence the sound of air rushing in when the cap is removed.

hope this helps, John