Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reverse Camera Trigger

dranny69

Hi i wonder if anyone could advise me on getting my Sony head unit to auto switch to my reversing camera ?

I fitted the camera last week and it works great but doesnt come on automatically when I put car in reverse . I have looked on google for answers and found I need to do something with the purple "trigger" wire on the back of the stereo but what I need to do with it is as far as ive got !!

any advice would be great .

Not sure on your as I have a completely different unit but has yours got in the menu driver assist or similar this has to be on on my unit for it to work automatically .

Not sure but I 'assume' that you'll need to connect it to a source that becomes live when reverse is selected thereby switching the screen and camera on.

Had a look through all options on stereo and there's nothing like that on it . I think I need to connect the purple wire that comes out if the back of the stereo to the reverse switch but really not too sure as the wire is really short and wouldn't really stretch anywhere .

Pretty common solution - you'd have to join a longer piece of wire to your purple wire then route it to meet up with the reverse switch wiring. That means you may need to route it through the bulkhead or find where the reverse switch wire comes into the cabin.

I'd suggest you got a really long section of cable and just route it out of the car and under the bonnet to the reverse switch first so you can test that's what needed to get the camera working before wiring it all in properly :)

thanks for your replys, I guessed it had to go to the reverse switch somehow , would it be possible to route the extended purple wire to the rear of the car to the live reverse light wire where I connected the camera and connect it there ?

thanks for your replys, I guessed it had to go to the reverse switch somehow , would it be possible to route the extended purple wire to the rear of the car to the live reverse light wire where I connected the camera and connect it there ?

thats where i picked up my feed from, (although im not using a sony headunit)

as said before get a really long wire and then tap into the loom under the car behind the bulb and test first, then you can lift the carpet in the boot and there is a rubber grommit on both sides just pick the grommit on the side your reverse bulb is and wire down to the bulb

• Like 1

yeah think thats what i will do , one last question will 12v 1.5mm wire do the job ? if not could you advise which wire i will need .

Thanks again

yeh 1.5mm is plenty, the camera wont be pulling that much current, (i presume there is a fuse protecting the radio anyway)

• Like 1

Yeah there is , right that`s that sorted thanks for all your input :)

Phil