Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Mk6 Headlight Hid Retrofit

GingerFlame

My fiesta didn't have HIDs, it was running h4 halogen, it is now running H1 5k HIDs

Postman' just delivered my windscreen/headlight sealer, so I'll be opening and generally tidying up the lights both inside & out then sealing them shut for the final time

Can provide links for purchases to anybody that needs them

Have you go the bi zenon hids as its a h1 bulb? I know the standard bulb is a h4. But you had a problem setting the beam pattern with the h4 then changed it back to h1 which was supplied?

I originally just fitted a h4 HID Kit in the stock reflector headlight from a mk6. Which resulted in a worse light than stock Halogen and also dazzled people so I put the halogen back in.

I then bought a set of facelift headlights & rear lights. Before even fitting the new headlights I opened them up and fitted a pair of Bixenon projectors & changed the bulbs to h1s on the same ballasts, I then plugged the projectors into the ballast's hi/low cable.

The problem I had with the beam with the projectors wasn't the pattern as such. I was just the adapted plate from h4 to h1. It had been made to the wrong angle so I had to make new adapters at the correct angle. This has sorted the alignment and it is now spot on :)

It provides amazing light output & there is no way they will dazzle anybody unless they're driving a car that's lowered to the point the body scrapes along the floor and the exhaust's been ripped off! Haha

Thankyou for that. Im gonna have to do this as soon as. Gettin tired of these lights jut never had the balls to put them projectors in an faff around lol

• Like 1

It's a really easy mod to do! Just check the alignment before you reseal it. Chances are one will be higher than the other but aslong as the cut off line on low beam is straight then the height can be adjusted on the headlight itself :)

Just ask if you've got any more questions, I'll do my best to help

If you can get the cut off line straight on both headlights then most garages will be happy to align the headlights themselves for you for a couple of quid

Appriciate the info! And i work in a garage so ill just steal the beam setter for abit haha ;)

• Like 1

Perfect! haha

Don't suppose your garage does MOTs does it? you couldnt add anything to the discussion about HID's passing/failing could you?

Yeah we do. And they are illegal. They require self leveling headlights and headlight washers due to the excessive heat.

But theres a grey area with it reguardig mot. If it produces a beam a pattern and the light is the same colour then it can be passed. They have been passed at our place.

But if vosa pull you over they will destroy you. Ive been up since 3am gettin cars checked over with friends and vosa have us over a barrel.

I havnt heard of anyone getting pulled over for having hids. Normally they dont bother as it can be more hassle than ots worth

• Like 1

I read they require washers due to the excessive glare created when dirt is stuck to the headlight lense.

My HIDs don't seem to produce as much heat as standard halogens if I'm honest

So, if the beam pattern is correct my car should pass MOT on Monday (assuming there's nothing else wrong, which there shouldn't be) ?

Also, can a car fail due to condensation inside the headlight?

I read they require washers due to the excessive glare created when dirt is stuck to the headlight lense.

My HIDs don't seem to produce as much heat as standard halogens if I'm honest

So, if the beam pattern is correct my car should pass MOT on Monday (assuming there's nothing else wrong, which there shouldn't be) ?

Also, can a car fail due to condensation inside the headlight?

As long as the beam pattern isnt affected by the condensation then no it shouldnt.

It depends on the tester an its totaly down to them. Ive had one guy pass them and another fail them. So its down to them at the time of test. You will soon find out :)

Ah, okay! Thanks & I'm going to reseal the headlights over the weekend just to be safe.. But I suppose if they fail it on no washers/self levelling then it'll have to be a search through the shed for the old headlights

Its only for time of test ;) id be suprised if you get pulled on your daily drive. If ypur at a big car meet then the police/vosa turn up, you might get some agro. But what you have done looks a propper job!

• Like 1

I'm not going to admit on a post with at least two MOT testers on it that i'll be putting the projectors back in after the test.. But somebody might accidentally put them on for a photo shoot and never take them off again! ;)

I've heard of the police turning up at car meets, but do VOSA go too?! :O That's mad

Also, I know of a company in Scotland that charges £250+ to fit projectors, angel eyes and other headlight modifications without fitting washers or self levelling.. So does that hold them accountable if the car owner gets pulled?

Thanks, It was a mod that took me a while to plug up the courage to tsart.. Bit daunting cracking open your new headlights the same day as you've bought them! But now its done, all I can say is get on with it! But be careful and use lots of heat to open them!

Just an update, car failed MOT on a front wheel bearing with an advisory on the rear, they said nothing about the headlights :)

Car has now passed MOT £58 later, First & last time changing a wheel bearing!

• 1 month later...

Car has now passed MOT £58 later, First & last time changing a wheel bearing!

Got any pictures of the customer adapters you had to make? , Got the money sitting to start this but bit worried about aligning them properly.

Got any pictures of the customer adapters you had to make? , Got the money sitting to start this but bit worried about aligning them properly.

I haven't mate sorry, I made them whilst in an !Removed! so I just got on with it. They're literally a roughly cut circle with a hole in the middle. & slots around the outside. When you start fitting the projectors you'll see exactly where the plates need to be! I made about 12 templates out of card & whilst supporting the projector I tried them all to find out which worked best

Probably the easiest part of the retrofit.. Whilst the most time consuming :)

I haven't mate sorry, I made them whilst in an !Removed! so I just got on with it. They're literally a roughly cut circle with a hole in the middle. & slots around the outside. When you start fitting the projectors you'll see exactly where the plates need to be! I made about 12 templates out of card & whilst supporting the projector I tried them all to find out which worked best

Cheers for that , Gonna order the stuff and see what happens.

• Like 1

Sorry for all the questions but what HID Kit did you use? and what did you use to reseal the headlight? Got my things ordered now hopefully have them in a few days.

• Like 1

Sorry for all the questions but what HID kit did you use? and what did you use to reseal the headlight? Got my things ordered now hopefully have them in a few days.

Don't apologise! I posted this on here to try encourage people to retrofit HIDs without dazzling other road users I used a H4 HID Kit & then replaced the bulbs with H1. This means the ballasts are Hi/LO to control the projector cutoff & the bulb is a single "filament" :)

The exact item had ended but these are identical & cheaper.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Xenon-35W-XENON-HID-KIT-9004-9007-HB4-9006-H1-H4-H7-4300K-6000K-10000K-UK-/281398287232?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&var=&hash=item4184a51b80

You could always contact the seller and ask for HI/LO BALLAST & H1 bulbs.

If not you will have to purchase h4 & hi/LO ballast and then h1 to replace the bulbs with. Any 35watt H1 bulb will do! Just decide on a temperature! Don't go too blue!

I resealed the headlight using butyl windscreen sealant . I purchased 9.5mm x 4.57mm & stretched it out so it would fit

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251426750877?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

U heard any news about hid needing washers yet ? Seems to be a law thats overlooked. I havnt been pulled up about it yet.

U heard any news about hid needing washers yet ? Seems to be a law thats overlooked. I havnt been pulled up about it yet.

Haven't heard anything as of yet, I've been wiping the lights with a microfiber cloth every few days just to make sure the light isn't refracting & dazzling people.. All the salt & slush off the road seems to like to stick to them! Haha

The bulbs I've gone for aren't too blue either so should attract unwanted attention :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club