Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Mk2 1.4 U0001?

stevesey

Just been out to look at my daughters car - she phoned to say it was showing several dash lights and juddering. She'd tried killing the engine and re-starting but problem persisted. However when I got there (10mins later) we started it and all was good - plugged a code reading in and just got a single U0001 (CAN Bus) stored code. We drove home and she's borrowed SWMBO's car for work tomorrow.

Anyone one any experience of intermittent U0001s? Could it just be a one off? Car was used earlier in the day - with no issues (although she was away most of last week so it was stood for while then). Not really sure where to go from here (will try it again in a couple of hours and again in the morning of course).

Any suggestions?

• Like 1

Just started her up again - dash lit up like a Christmas tree and got ----- in the odometer. Re-started the same - drove 100 yards and all back to normal - another U0001 stored (MIL stayed on until I cleared it this time). Then all was OK.

N.B. While the error was present the fault code reader couldn't read anything from/find the ECU.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure that code is a communication error code on the can bus, basically it means the PCM and the IPK are not talking to each other at all or correctly, could be a dodgy instrument cluster ora wiring fault, I would check the C90 connector in the fuse box in the engine bay as that can cause problems, or try banging the top of the instrument cluster and see if the fault goes away as that is supposed to be a common problem with these cars.

Check that all connector blocks are corrosion free and seated properly on the footwell fuseboard.

Many random electrical errors in a mk2 are due to one getting accidentally kicked by a passenger.

• 1 year later...
On Tuesday, November 11, 2014 at 5:02 PM, simcor said:

I'm pretty sure that code is a communication error code on the can bus, basically it means the PCM and the IPK are not talking to each other at all or correctly, could be a dodgy instrument cluster ora wiring fault, I would check the C90 connector in the fuse box in the engine bay as that can cause problems, or try banging the top of the instrument cluster and see if the fault goes away as that is supposed to be a common problem with these cars.

I'm having same sort of problems and my clocks keep going funny asin everything drops like the cars not started just the ignition turned on whilst I'm driving but if I bang the top of the clocks they come back to life if that makes sense.. any ideas what would be causing this?

If banging the instrument cluster makes it all work again it sounds like a faulty cluster. It is pretty well documented on here.

Have seen multiple instances of this down to cheap crap CANBUS modules that come with chinese stereo head units. Always worth checking out if there's one installed.

• 4 years later...

Hi I'm having issues with my Ford focus 2007 Automatic the code U0001 is my speed sensors I also get on my dash screen Engine fault Transmission failyer and Reduced acceleration can someone tell me wats going on do I need to bring to a garage will it cost much to fix

5a0a9dc9c54655a98a09c0fdf0d34aff.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• 8 months later...
On 7/10/2020 at 5:26 AM, Jolly said:

Hi I'm having issues with my Ford focus 2007 Automatic the code U0001 is my speed sensors I also get on my dash screen Engine fault Transmission failyer and Reduced acceleration can someone tell me wats going on do I need to bring to a garage will it cost much to fix

Had this problem for a while on a 2006 ford focus LX 1.6 automatic. Put I a brand new battery which fixed the problem. 

My symptoms were 'engine fault Transmission failure'. Engine management light. Intermittent starting problems where I would turn key and immobiliser light would stay on but car would not start. Brand new calcium battery seemed to fix the problem. 

• 5 months later...

Having same problem but acceleration reduced codes u0001 and u0155 

anyone had same 

• 2 years later...
On 9/6/2021 at 5:05 PM, Chelsea shaw said:

Having same problem but acceleration reduced codes u0001 and u0155 

anyone had same 

I just had the same issue and don't know where to start

U0001 is a communication error on the High Speed Canbus system. Nothing of real importance to worry about. Probably caused by water getting in to a connector.

Use FORScan and clear the code. Chances are it won't return.

6 hours ago, mjt said:

As it's a 2010 vehicle it could be the cluster solder problem.

Indeed, the Mk1 C-max is affected.

@stevenm9012 I have a repair service here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314393033915 where you can read about it and double check your cluster against the provided pictures.

On 9/30/2023 at 10:24 AM, mjt said:

As it's a 2010 vehicle it could be the cluster solder problem.

It might be a cluster fault, but the OP posted in his other thread that the fault only occurred after he took the car 'swimming' and the engine got very wet.

• Like 2

Ah, I didn't see the other thread. So that's why you suggested water getting into a connector.

• Like 2

Looking at his other thread I see he says the car was fine for a couple of days after the "swim", also that when the error occurred turning off and restarting the engine cleared it. To me this looks like a classic example of the cluster fault and combined with the Canbus communication DTC it suggests to me, on the balance of probabilities, it is the cluster. On a car of that age it's going to happen sooner or later anyway so it would be a good idea to get it resoldered.

Slightly off-topic back in the 60's on my daily commute I occasionally had to drive my Mini through a section of road that flooded when a river overtopped after heavy rain combined with a high tide. I used to go through really slowly, just walking pace, slipping the clutch and keeping the revs up to prevent water from getting into the exhaust. I then drove a few hundred yards with the brakes applied to dry the drums out. I never had any problems. Cars were a lot more resilient in those days. Most people drive through water far too fast nowadays.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club