Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Need Help For More Power!!!

focusdom

Hello folks,

I'm driving a Focus mk3 1.6 petrol 11reg (105bhp) hatchback.

Any ideas for that lite extra power in the first gear?

I don't want a loud boy racer! Just that little extra where it pulls nicely.

Kind Regards

Dom

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

You wont get much gains from either. Some cases a "free flowing air filter" can be worse an it uses the airbox an pipes to create a whirl effect. And a remap wont add many bhps but may reduce fuel consumption. Only way to gain power is spend the money on a nasp engine

Usual things to go for - induction kit, uprated exhaust, remap etc but with normally aspirated petrol engines there's only limited gains to be had from those.

Cams and engine work would be next step but that's also where it starts getting a 'tad' more expensive and you're also gaining top end power at the expense of low-down and mid range driveability.

No one in right mind will butcher a 4 year old car for more power by messing with engine swaps

Iv built a few stand alone system and use to work at pumaspeed.

Iv seen 15bhp from exhaust, air and a remap.

Superchips have a 13bhp gain on the 2007 focus verson.

Make sure it's live mapped on rolling road because it will be more personal for your engine. I cant see you have much improvement from changing exhaust. Plus with mot laws ect.

Go with k&n and good remap and it will free up some bhp.

Next step would be beadwork and cams.. then inlet/air intake (TB) or turbo conversion

You reckon K&N air filter?

Can you recommend any remap company?

What exhaust? (Don't want a loud boy racer sound :/ )

I'd say K&N would be fine. For mapping, Collins Performance gets my vote and also their Mongoose exhausts. Their system on my ST gives nice burble and deeper exhaust note without being offensive or overly noisy.

Cool.

How much would it roughly cost to do a turbo conversion?

Cheers folks

A lot!

Maybe like £1000 or so for the kit then you'll likely have to pay someone to fit it and actually get it all to work as intended, as bolt-on kits invariably throw up loads of reasons for not quite being 'bolt-on' after all!

• Like 1

U need grand just for mapping and ecu. This route is only if your serious want more power. But engine swap would be better. Or sell ur car and get a ST225

• Like 1

I'd say K&N would be fine. For mapping, Collins Performance gets my vote and also their Mongoose exhausts. Their system on my ST gives nice burble and deeper exhaust note without being offensive or overly noisy.

Where is Collins performance based?

A lot!

Maybe like £1000 or so for the kit then you'll likely have to pay someone to fit it and actually get it all to work as intended, as bolt-on kits invariably throw up loads of reasons for not quite being 'bolt-on' after all!

Are there different brands of turbo kits?

Your probally talking easy 5k for a basic turbo set up. But your engine wont hold out for long. You will have to get forged internals then your talking another 5k+.

If its a project car that you will keep then go for it. If not id sell an get a faster car

• Like 1

My 4 year old ford fiesta started out with 120psi and now has 155. It has a dual intake air feed, K&N air filter, high lift cams, full exhaust system and a remap. And I think that's it :)

Just do little things lol but do them properly :p

Edit. I lie. She's 5 years now :)

My 4 year old ford fiesta started out with 120psi and now has 155. It has a dual intake air feed, K&N air filter, high lift cams, full exhaust system and a remap. And I think that's it :)

Just do little things lol but do them properly :p

Edit. I lie. She's 5 years now :)

How much did you pay to get the hight lift cams and fitted?

How much did you pay to get the hight lift cams and fitted?

Was with the car when I bought it but would have cost me I think it was £1000 on 0% finance. Went to get it done and they told me I already had it lol

Link to 1K turbo kit?

Best ways for NA power is an ITB kit, can be had semi professionally for around £1700, fitted with bigger cams will get you around 25BHP but a lot of cheddar for what they are and the gains.

Realistically best way around it would be to sell the car and buy 2ltr Focus for pretty much the same price, 1.6 seems to hold it money a tad better or go for the ST170 they go cheap as chips these days, plus you get better seats, spec and bigger / better brakes.

I think we all missing mark. I don't think he will wanna sell the car or do a engine swap on such a new car.

You have a few options.

(Bhp are avg gains Iv seen)

1st Rolling road remap- £300/400 (5/10)bhp

2nd exhaust, induction kit and remap -£900 (8-15) bhp

3rd above with high lift cams - £1500 (15-20bhp)

4th above with throttle bodies & management £3000 (20-35bhp)

5th turbo kit and management £5000 (40-60)bhp

6th stage 3 with turbo kit inc forged engine £7500 (100-170bhp)

I had a 312bhp 1.6 106 turbo on a tu5jp4 forged engine. When it was standard it made 205bhp for about a year. It's all about the "money"

For the OP Collins are based in Congleton, Cheshire.

Enquiring with them or similar tuners will give you better idea of the tuning potential with your standard engine, then the range of packages available with their costs and expected power gains.

Generally there'll be some easy wins at first then as you want to go further the costs go up and up, while the gains tend to get smaller and smaller (or less bhp per £). Unless you fit a turbo kit, though my estimate of £1000 was probably a little on the low side.

Thx to all for all your comments but

I don't wanna spend a fortune I just want about 15 BHP more that the car pulls better I got already 105 BHP but I got that feeling that my mums Skoda Felicia with 75bhp pull better lol

Any ideas for just that little extra ?

Cheers dom

Just upgraded air intake and a remap.

Definitely NOT higher lift cams if you want it to pull lol, all my power kicks in after 6500rpm so not much good at the lower ends :lol:

Depends on how aggressive cams are. Some cams can increase torque :)

Aggressive cams do have to be abused to get best use from them.

Thx to all for all your comments but

I don't wanna spend a fortune I just want about 15 BHP more that the car pulls better I got already 105 BHP but I got that feeling that my mums Skoda Felicia with 75bhp pull better lol

Any ideas for just that little extra ?

Cheers dom

I'll drive your focus you can drive the skoda and we can find out what's quicker lol :)