Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mondeo Tdi 2001 - Fuel Leak

michaeljohngoff

Hi - Can anyone help please? Just towed car back home as i have a fuel leak near tank. Diesel is spilling out from a pipe or unit? If i were to post pictures could somebody annotate and tell me what i'm looking at?

At first i was surprised how much oil was outside while driving and then realized to my horror the 'oil' was following me. I've since realized its diesel which spills from in front of the rear driver side wheel not the fuel tank but from pipe or a unit inline with fuel line i imagine.

Michael

Not too sure at present? It seems to spray from a hose and hit the car chassis to fall back down in a fountain. I plan to have a look tomorrow in the light of day 7am onwards.

I have attached a photo as seen from the rear driver side wheel of the general trouble area . I saw it spray upwards with a halogen light shining on it this evening but evening diagnostics aren't ideal

Not got a workshop manual to flick through which would have helped identify what the variety of hoses are for. I am pretty hands on once i wrap my head around problems and the cause though

The white unit in the picture - Is that the fuel pump near the tank? It leaks from around there so removal is necessary and examination I imagine. How much is a replacement pump if indeed it is the pump? Anybody got any instructions on how to remove it?

Having removed and replaced the low pressure / lift pump I can confirm there is a small crack in the fuel line causing fuel to spray upwards.and hit the chassis hence the earlier uncertainty regarding the fault. Can fuel lines be repaired or is a replacement necessary?

Hi,

Sorry I haven't been able to reply.

I would get hold of another pipe whether it be from a breakers or from ford. I wouldnt even try to patch up the old one.

I used a 10mm diameter flexible fuel hose to couple the fuel line and it started with no leak there after. Trouble is now its gone from leaking fuel to not starting :-( Could it be I've introduced air into the system? after i replaced the lift pump and re-joined the fuel line??

Also would the fuel line for a saloon be the same as my estate. Plenty of Mondeo's at local breakers but not estates.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club