Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Fiesta Common Rust Problem

eliaskok

A friend of mine has a Ford Fiesta MK5 with small rust on rear wheel arch. How much rougly should be looking to get it sorted? or if there is anyone in the forum that can help to fix it. The car is in Surrey.

Is it rust on the wheel arch or through it? A picture will help.

Through the rear wheel arch. I can take photos tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

Ouch, rust is not cheap to fix, what looks like a small hole expands into a vast cavern after a wack with a hammer.

The only way of truly removing rust is to cut it out and weld new metal in. Depending on the value of the car and how long your friend intends to keep it would affect the cost. To patch it up and whack a plate over the rust, it would probably be around £100 (using the photo above as guidance), but if he wants it cutting out and a new panel welding in, then painting back to original it will cost significantly more. Again, juding by the photo, that is a MOT failure area if it is rusted through due to the proximity of the rear seat belt anchor.

You can get a patch panel that is welded over or for a more thorough (read expensive) job the rusted metal is cut back and new steel welded in.

Depends how long you want to keep the car and what it's worth.

Actually he had an MOT on April and it was still looking the same as now and he told him is fine. Not even any advisory.

You can get a patch panel that is welded over or for a more thorough (read expensive) job the rusted metal is cut back and new steel welded in.

Depends how long you want to keep the car and what it's worth.

I don't think he plans to keep it for longer than 2-3 years. If he sell it now how much roughly should be looking for? is just one spot and is smaller from the picture i've attached.

Details of the car

Engine: 1.25

Transmission: Manual

Year: 2001

Miles: 59263

service History, MOT. The condition of the car is great except that rusted part.

Need more details about the car to estimate a price.

Need more details about the car to estimate a price.

Already added the details to my previous post mate

If it is surface rust it will pass okay, but if it has gone through then it should be a fail. But then an MOT doesn't pick up all safety points, my last Mondeo had the rear anchor points nearly rusted through and it had passed an MOT not long before. It all depends on whether your friend carries regular passengers in the rear, I do, so I had them patched up.

Images for those interested...

WP_20140315_001_zps6aa79afc.jpg

WP_20140315_003_zpsa496dc27.jpg

From the outside, looked as though there was no issues with it!

WP_20130901_006_zpsf97c5521.jpg

If it is surface rust it will pass okay, but if it has gone through then it should be a fail. But then an MOT doesn't pick up all safety points, my last Mondeo had the rear anchor points nearly rusted through and it had passed an MOT not long before. It all depends on whether your friend carries regular passengers in the rear, I do, so I had them patched up.

Images for those interested...

WP_20140315_001_zps6aa79afc.jpg

WP_20140315_003_zpsa496dc27.jpg

From the outside, looked as though there was no issues with it!

WP_20130901_006_zpsf97c5521.jpg

Is just a surface rust. He might be interested selling it though to someone who might keep the car for longer and want to fix it.

About £650 tops with service history

Okay i'll ask him what he wants to do with the car and i might post it here in the forum later and see if anyone is interested.

As it is just surface rust, patch it and run it until he wants to get rid. If he had loads of sentimental value invested in it or if it was something special then have the full cut out/weld done. It has nearly lost all it's residual value so he will be able to sell it for similar money in a couple of years. It would be madness to sell now for the sake of a bit of surface rust.

As it is just surface rust, patch it and run it until he wants to get rid. If he had loads of sentimental value invested in it or if it was something special then have the full cut out/weld done. It has nearly lost all it's residual value so he will be able to sell it for similar money in a couple of years. It would be madness to sell now for the sake of a bit of surface rust.

Is not up to me mate. I'll just ask him what he wants to do. Thanks for the tips. :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club