Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Extended Warranty

willyjonson

Hi, My Zetec is coming up to its first service, I'm thinking of extending the Warranty up to 5 years. Does anyone know if I can now it's nearly 12 months old and anyone know how much it would cost. Thanks!!

You generally get a letter when there is less than 1 years warranty left with the cost, it's well over a K in most cases and hardly worth it if you've looked after the car

£260 - That's not too bad - I'm 6 days away from my first registration - What's covered on the 4th & 5th Year?

I stand corrected ( for once ) the warranty extension should be the same as years 2&3,

Hi Matt, just been talking to my local Ford dealer and I don't know if I've misunderstood the .pdf file but, I mentioned to my dealer that as my car was coming up to the end of it's first year and date of registration, I might take out the 4th & 5th years extended warranty and he told me that I can't do that.

I asked why and he said that Ford have changed the rules on that and now you can only take the 4th & 5th years ext warranty out 'before' you register the car?

I hope he's wrong. At the bottom of the .pdf it says -

Ford Protect Extended Warranty Plans can be
purchased any time up until the vehicle’s first date of registration

Hmmmm

On some Ford Dealer sites it is still saying Extended Warranties can be taken out within the first 12 months of registering your vehicle.I certainly wasn't told when I purchased my car that I had to do it there and then or the option of extending the warranty would not be possible.So if Ford have changed the rules when did they do it and why wasn't new owners notified,to give us the option.This is not right if Ford have done this secretly!

• Like 1

As I said earlier, my dealer contacted me this afternoon with regard to my enquiry about buying a new Fiesta 1.0T EcoBoost Titanium X 5 Door and, whilst I was on the telephone, I mentioned that as my present car was coming up to one year old and it's first registration date (25th November 2013), I would be buying the 3rd & 4th years extended warranty.

His response was to say that I could not do that now because Ford had recently changed the rules about buying extended warranty before the vehicle reached it's first registration date and that they (the sales person), now had to offer it and, if we wanted it, then we had to buy it, before the vehicle was registered.

The .extended warranty .pdf file is dated 1st November 2014 and can be read two ways so I'm hoping that my local Ford dealer is wrong because I would like to buy it and I only have 5 days left to do it.

I purchased my fez tit X on 5 December 2014 and was told that extended warranty must be purchased prior to registration. This I did.

If you have a Ford warranty expiring after 3 years you might consider buying a warranty from a different Company. I know the Daily Telegraph promotes one which I used on a Mercedes.

Blimey, it looks like I'll have to have a war of words then. I collected mine last Saturday and wasn't informed about this.

I collected my new Fiesta in June 2013 and extended the warranty to 5 years at my local dealer in April 2014 for £260 as stated. The extended warranty covers everything that year 2 and 3 does.

I've just been to my local dealer who said that extended warranty HAS to be purchased with the car. I phoned the dealer who supplied the car and got it over the phone. Beats me.

You don't HAVE to purchase anything - I'd be suggesting that they change their tone or receive a call from Trading Standards.

You can purchase 3rd party warranties, and there's naff all the dealer can do about it.

My fault, I should have written -

I've just been to my local dealer who said that Ford extended warranty (if you want it) HAS to be purchased with the car.

Hmm...nope. The High Street retailers got into trouble for this a while ago. You can purchase it from an entirely different dealer if you wish, but it has to be within a reasonable amount of time.

The example I remember was that you could by a toaster in, say Currys and go to Argos and purchase their warranty if you so desired.

Our standard warranty is 4 years or 120 000km, this is part of the purchase price of the vehicle, and we can extend it with a further 2 years before the 120k km or 4 years have run out, this is all part of the Ford service, you would think that it would be the same the world over.

I had this problem in March, the rules have changed and the warranty now has to be purchased at the same time as the car. The dealer was unable to help, but I was advised to contact Ford on 08702416726 - they agreed to extend the warranty, as I had a copy of the brochure with the warranty terms at the time of purchase - and I stated that it was always my intention to extend the warranty if I was happy with the car, which I am :)

Hi supersneak

I'm having a similar problem with trying to purchase the 4th & 5th years extended warranty on my November 2013 Titanium.

After seeing the extended warranty topic posted over the last couple of weeks I approached my dealer to ask if I could purchase it and I was told the same as you were but my car was two weeks off it first registration date of 25th November 2013.

What month in 2013 was your car registered?

Their answer was no and that the rules changed about 6 months ago and you now have to buy it with the vehicle when it is first registered.

Like you, it was always my intention to purchased an extended warranty before it reached the date of it's first registration and, I was really annoyed about this and stated that when I took delivery of the car last November, the salesperson never mentioned anything about buying the extended warranty nor did my dealer, or Ford, contact me to say that the rules were changing and give me the opportunity to extend my warranty before they changed the rules.

As stated above, I was not aware of the change in rules and thought that, by contacting my dealer before my car reached the date of it's first registration, I would be ok to buy the 4th & 5th years but no, that's not the case.

I know it's a bit late now but I did try to buy the warranty before the year was up and I'm wondering if I should call that number (Ford 08702 241 6726) to see if they would allow me to buy it?

BTW, to take advantage of the 2nd and 3rd years free warranty, you need to have your vehicle serviced each year but, bearing in mind that, as YOU are buying the 4th and 5th years, are there any restrictions on those two years? i.e. you must have it serviced by Ford or, can you go where you want for the service?

Hi BHeart

It must be worth a try, what I did was stress that I'd discussed the option at the time of purchase, and the advice given at the time was that it could be done any time up to the first anniversary of registration. My car is a March 2013 and the warranty was purchased 2 days before the first anniversary.

Good Luck

Hi supersneak

Just been onto my dealer again and they say that the rules were changed about 18 months ago but I find that hard to believe especially as you were allowed to buy extended warranty in March 2014, 2 days before the anniversary of your Fiesta's first registration.

My dealer says that they called Ford to check on this and they were told about 18 months ago. I have my doubts and would like to see some documentation on this.

Do you have any idea of exactly when Ford changed the timescale for buying the extended warranty.

I started this topic off thinking I was perhaps the only one who was concerned, but the replies not only show that Ford and or the Dealers are not together on this.I have just rang Ford Direct on the 08702416726 number and told that I am not allowed to do it even though I am still inside the 1st year.I was not told on purchasing the car, that unless I took out the 4th and 5th year extended warranty there and then that I would not be able to do so later on.I don't know if there is other avenue to take on this as each day goes by more and more Ford car buyers are going over there first 12 months right to take up the Extended Warranty option.

It amazes me that Ford would do this to it's loyal customers and through it's Dealers that didn't offer the option show good will and right a very big wrong that has been done.

I just called Ford Direct after reading your reply and got the same answer - No!

I totally agree with your last paragraph.

The rules were changed in April 2013.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Hmmmm, so how come I got mine over the phone from the dealer who supplied the car? The paperwork followed - Ford protect 5 year warranty £260 inc VAT. The date of purchase was 5 days after I collected the car.

I think you need to rattle a few cages somewhere.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club