Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FAO Micheal P

MichellefromEssex

Michael, I know you have your little Fez and was wondering what sort of insurance premium you were paying as a learner and how much you are now going to have to pay now you have passed. My daughter looking at cars and we were quoted around £500 for third party with me as a named driver, however when she passes it doubles, if I register the car and have her as a named driver it goes back down again but still around £700, who are you insured with and is it in your name?

thanks hun x

i know i'm not michael p, but insurance for young drivers cost way too much. i pay around £990 a year and some of my friends pay in excess of £1600. girls are usually a lot cheaper though!

Michelle, I had my fiesta from 17 and was a named driver on my mums car (even though it was really mine though its hard to get away with this with directline anymore). It cost me the same learning and when I'd passed and was £400 on a MK5 1.3 Fiesta.

On my MK7 on my own it's £550 which is part of the reason why I upgraded as I don't think that's bad for my age.

Sorry I know I'm not Michael P either :)

Im not Micheal P either nor do i claim to be.

For my insurance I paid around £1.2K but it was something I expected after doing some research, though early quotes were on £1.5K mark (I guess waiting a few months for the car saved me a few hundred). It didnt help that no one else in the family drives and that ive only held a licence since March.

Michael, I know you have your little Fez and was wondering what sort of insurance premium you were paying as a learner and how much you are now going to have to pay now you have passed. My daughter looking at cars and we were quoted around £500 for third party with me as a named driver, however when she passes it doubles, if I register the car and have her as a named driver it goes back down again but still around £700, who are you insured with and is it in your name?

thanks hun x

I thought I'd chip in as well, my insurance is £650 a year fully comp'ed. I was getting quotes in the region of £1000 beforehand. I've done the pass plus course as well so I'm not sure if that helps with the cost but it did add on a year of no claims bonus. I'm male, by the way.

i am michael p!

i didn't bother looking for when i was learning, i only sourced quotes for when i passed.

the cheapest i have found is £1,600 in my own, third party

thats with direct line, to be honest a comparison cannot be made with your daughter being a girl, the difference between boys and girls insurance is a joke!

That's cos us girls are so good :P

That's cos us girls are so good :P

never!!!

the average is around £1,800

fully comp is a no go, over £2,000 and i refuse to pay that for something that i'm not likely to ever use!!

Michelle...

I'm 20 but I'm male to owhich means ill still be paying more than a 17yr old girl lol.

I'm with Admiril paying £700 for the fez with 0 no claims and an accident in 2008.

Elephant are good too, both offering cheap prices for young drivers as well as a 10 month policy, meaning you build up your no claims faster (Y).

Michelle...

I'm 20 but I'm male to owhich means ill still be paying more than a 17yr old girl lol.

I'm with Admiril paying £700 for the fez with 0 no claims and an accident in 2008.

Elephant are good too, both offering cheap prices for young drivers as well as a 10 month policy, meaning you build up your no claims faster (Y).

Elephant, Admiral and Diamond are all the same group

Thanks for all your replies, Michael I cannot believe you are paying that much OMG its ridiculous, I did the moneysupermarket comparison and Quinn insurance was the cheapest, but tbh think we will look at a Corsa or KA as they are only group 2, where as fez is a group 4. Let her practice her clutch control tonight in our Corsa van, OMG gonna be a long while before she is on the road anyway rofl and there is no way in hell she is going to drive my Mo lol.

I read a thread on www.zetecs.com, about people's insurance experiences, and several commented that Quinn, and Swift, almost NEVER pay out for your own damage. Reading a thread, elsewhere, about A.A. insurance, it was often the case that customers were bounced back and fro to the Ins. provider, and back ;-- I.E. no real claim handler dedicated to you.

Endsleigh, although part of the Zurich group nowadays, retain good contact with customers, via a UK call-centre. Budget is also part of Zurich, but have a call-centre in South Africa, and elsewhere. I got out of Budget due to botched paperwork.

In short, I won't choose a firm just based on the price. My wife negotiated a better NCB protection deal, and lower excesses, just by 'phoning Endsleigh, after her renewal came in with poorer details than last year. ALWAYS check you are not being given a raw deal !!

I have just paid £10 more for renewal to Fortis Via RIAS, to get lower excesses, and longer protection of my NCB, compared to the computer search.

I read a thread on www.zetecs.com, about people's insurance experiences, and several commented that Quinn, and Swift, almost NEVER pay out for your own damage. Reading a thread, elsewhere, about A.A. insurance, it was often the case that customers were bounced back and fro to the Ins. provider, and back ;-- I.E. no real claim handler dedicated to you.

Endsleigh, although part of the Zurich group nowadays, retain good contact with customers, via a UK call-centre. Budget is also part of Zurich, but have a call-centre in South Africa, and elsewhere. I got out of Budget due to botched paperwork.

In short, I won't choose a firm just based on the price. My wife negotiated a better NCB protection deal, and lower excesses, just by 'phoning Endsleigh, after her renewal came in with poorer details than last year. ALWAYS check you are not being given a raw deal !!

I have just paid £10 more for renewal to Fortis Via RIAS, to get lower excesses, and longer protection of my NCB, compared to the computer search.

I agree entirely with your comments--my advice would be to never just choose your insurance on price alone.

Pick a well known company as you are placing your pride and joy in their hands and you need to be certain that they will pay out if / when the time comes.

If you choose a "back street insurance company" it's possible that they won't pay out the full amount your car is actually worth or they might take a lot longer than normal thus inconveniencing you etc.

I personally always stick to well established companies but it's individual choice in the end of course.

quinn direct is a big no no

my friend, same age, has a saxo

when he was learning, he was paying £800 for the year

when he passed they asked for £3800

thats three thousand, eight hundred pounds

for a saxo!

Im not too bothered about the hassle of an insurance company paying out for the beloved car to be repaired in a god forbid accident, after all I will only be spending about £400 on her first car and the excess will be about that, I just want her to be insured. Quinn Direct priced up as £750 when she has passed with me as the registered keeper, if she registers it and passes it will be just under 1k, I think thats dreadful amount - over double what the car is worth.

Anyway going to let her get well under the way with lessons before we buy anything, she has a long way to go yet lol.

The time has come for me to start shopping around again for a good deal for my Mo, going to have a look tonight to see what I can get, hopefully the fiesta 140 is now on the computer system.

quinn direct is a big no no

my friend, same age, has a saxo

when he was learning, he was paying £800 for the year

when he passed they asked for £3800

thats three thousand, eight hundred pounds

for a saxo!

ouch. the stupidest amount i was quoted was just short of £5,000. my girlfriends brother got a quote of near to £8,000 the other week for his new corsa. its a 1.2, not a flippin V8 supercar!

oh i had quotes for ridiculous amounts of money, the highest was £6,000 me thinks

this really, really makes me want to be a girl

oh i had quotes for ridiculous amounts of money, the highest was £6,000 me thinks

this really, really makes me want to be a girl

i was considering castration to get my quote down lol.

Hi guys insurance in genral tends to be a big rip off, they know we need it and they know we will pay. well moan but we will pay. On a legal note insuring a car with one main driver ( parent=cheapest) and then naming another driver on the policy ( your child) and they are really the main driver is illegal ( i think pooh bear sugested her and her mother did this) . Insurance companies when a claim is made come and view the car. They check the genral items inside the car such as Cds, fluffy teddys and genral things. If a car is said to be driven by a 50yr old male and when they come out it is covered in pink flowers or boy racer stickers its kind of a big clue who the main driver is. they then refuse to pay and report you both to police for insurance fraud. Empty the car of all traces of owner! they view this as highly unusual and if you read insurance clauses small print they can refuse payment if any supicous circumstances are suspected. I speak from bitter experience of trying to do the right thing for some one and ending up in a whole lot of brown sticky stuff. I feel for the youth of today houses they cant afford , cars they cant insure, jobs that are not there and us olders wonder why their getting !Removed! out of their minds at every opurtuninty.

insurance companies should jog on...

Yeah I have heard of this before, however my Max had an accident in his van last year and suffered bad whiplash at no point did the insurance company come and investiage at home, they just arranged a pick up truck to collect his van to be taken to repair, he was then issued a solicitor and claim for compensation was commenced (without us even realising we were suing lol).

I have found a nice little Fiat Cincequento tonight on eBay for her (lowest group insurance), she is going to pay half the money and I have agreed to paying her monthly insurance payments. I did one comparison and it came out with her as the registered keeper as £48 a month whilst a learner and once she has passed it went up to £68 which I dont think too bad, however I did do the registered keeper as me with her as a named driver and it came out £30 a month as a learner and then £48 when she has passed.

i'd do it with her as the main driver, more benefits for her in the long run and if anything does happen there is nothing to worry about!

i'm not insured on my fiesta yet but i am a named driver on the car that we actually own (my dad has a company car (toyota prius) so my mum and dad are insured on that through my dads work) and then we own a kia picanto which is in my dads name with me, my brother, my mum and my sister (it's my mums car)

at the moment it's just me and mum who drive it, my brother hasen't passed and won't be for a long time and my sister uses it when she's home from uni.

my dad did pay £500 for him, mum and my sister

when i popped along and wanted to go on, shoots up to £1500!

Insurance companies confuse me and they always will do. They have no pattern whatsoever!

I drive a Ford Focus estate 1.8TDdi and pay £1,400/year (£119/month) ... Fair enough. BUT, I once, out of interest got a quote for a Mk.5 Fiesta with the same 1.8 engine and got quoted £2,700! They are all bonkers! My friend said it's all about the class of the car in that case. Fiestas are more "boy racer cars" and Focus estates like mine are... "Grandad cars". :angry:

Quinn Insurance is quite controversial with younger drivers. In my experience they are only cheap if you are insured on a car with a UK Provisional license. They managed to insure me on a 1.9 Peugeot 309 for £42 a month, with me as a named driver on my Dad's insurance. Then I passed... And went with another insurance company to say the least. :lol:

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club