Do Not Sell My Personal Information

P2008 Fix Worked!

leesheffield

Hi all. So recently I have posted a few times about an intermittent fault I have been having where my car was losing power low down the revs and the eml kept coming on. It would slow the car down and I would have very little power in low rev range until about 3000 revs then it would suddenly pock up power.

I used a code reader and it showed up as P2008 intake manifold runner control circuit open. So basically the inlet manifold runner control is a vacuum operated system that closes flaps inside the air intake to help with air flow at low revs and apparently increase mpg. So on my car mk2.5 1.8 duratec the placement of parts is as follows.

Inlet manifold is at front of engine behind fan for radiator. If you remove the engine cover you can see, towards the rear right hand side of the back of the engine, is a device called the air shut off assy. This is on a metal plate with 4 vacuum hoses connecting to it. This shuts off the vacuum and resets the flaps

I started trying to sort the problem with a good clean of the whole inlet manifold. I used carb cleaner to clean the throttle body and sprayed into the inlet too while keeping revs up to clean further into the inlet. One thing that could cause the problem is a split vacuum hose. I sprayed the vacuum pipes from the air shut off and along them to check for air leaks. I sprayed along them with carb cleaner to see if any was taken into the system and this would cause the car to stal.

So none of this worked and the pipes were intact so the next thing I Have done is to visually check all wires connections and the air shut off assy itself to see if I could see any problems. Nothing obvious so I then resorted to buying a new air shut off assy and fitted it.

I bought from eBay and will post link when I can get on a computer. On phone at minute so can't upload yet. Also will add all pics I have to help locate etc.

To fit is a really easy process but fiddly to get to the hex screws due to wires. So here is how.

1.Locate the air assy and unclip the connections on top.

2.Pull off the vacuum pipes from the 2 devices and make sure you remember which goes to which part of the assy. (Top tip mark on with a marker 1,2,3,4 and then also on the old air assy where they correspond when you get it off)

3. On each corner of the plate holding the assy is a hex screw (sorry not sure of size) they are quite fiddly to get to under wires etc but not too bad. undo all these and then carefully remove it.

4. Fitting is just simply reverse the steps above.

This should hopefully then fix the issue. It has with mine as i could feel an instant difference. Before I fitted new part I took car out to make it lose power. Not long just needed to stop and start a few times in traffic with engine warm and it soon happened. After fitting I went on a drive and the power was back as normal so hoping it has fixed completely. Will keep updating if any problems later on. Sorry for lengthy post and will post pics asap

• Like 1

Nice one, mine has been like driving a different car for the last month since I changed this part.

• 1 month later...

Sounds like the answer I have been looking for great work!

Any chance of uploading the pics? I think i will attempt that myself.

Sounds like the answer I have been looking for great work!

Any chance of uploading the pics? I think i will attempt that myself.

Hi liam

I had this part changed on my car and its been like a new car since having it done with much improved performance, economy...also had throttle body cleaned too!

I dont have any how to fit images but check out this link may help.

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/63252-2008-intake-manifold-runner-control/

Hi Gregg,

Thanks for link to thread really helpful :).

It sounds like the exact same problem, low fuel economy almost 24 mpg which is shocking never mind expensive to run, Idles at a higher rpm around 1250 and when light comes on (EML) the car lacks power at low revs then just seems to take a kick up the !Removed! and is running like a stallion. I tried something the other day Decarbonizing the engine with water. Basically you get the engine up to temp then spay water directly over the throttle body. Theory is as the spray vaporizes, water expands, becomes steam and dislodges carbon deposits. It has actually had a really positive effect, engine is running smoother and idling at around 800 rpm but light is still on, so i think i will still order part and change it.

You say you had your throttle body cleaned, did you carry this out yourself? if so how? and what product did you use?. I was thinking of doing it myself just with some carb cleaner, any thoughts?

Hi Gregg,

Thanks for link to thread really helpful :).

It sounds like the exact same problem, low fuel economy almost 24 mpg which is shocking never mind expensive to run, Idles at a higher rpm around 1250 and when light comes on (EML) the car lacks power at low revs then just seems to take a kick up the !Removed! and is running like a stallion. I tried something the other day Decarbonizing the engine with water. Basically you get the engine up to temp then spay water directly over the throttle body. Theory is as the spray vaporizes, water expands, becomes steam and dislodges carbon deposits. It has actually had a really positive effect, engine is running smoother and idling at around 800 rpm but light is still on, so i think i will still order part and change it.

You say you had your throttle body cleaned, did you carry this out yourself? if so how? and what product did you use?. I was thinking of doing it myself just with some carb cleaner, any thoughts?

I didnt fit it due to not having the time so can't really advise sorry. I had the guy who usually services my car fit the part and at the same time asked him to clean throttle body, he actually said that although he did clean throttle body, it wasn't actually that bad, he said had seen worse! He use to work for fords and did say throttle bodys have been a major issue on the focus! I would recommend buying and fitting a new air intake manifold control assembly, the car has never run/driven so well!I the power is now phenomanal.

Btw my car is,a 2008 facelift and the throttle body isnt even the original one, as I actually had a new throttle body installed by ford 2 yrs ago, this being a year after they also gave me a brand new engine due to a major f*** they caused on a routine service.

I did encounter some really viscous sludge around the throttle plate and just inside the throttle body, so i do think it needs cleaning.

Just to be clear is the air intake manifold assembly the part and part number you posted in the tread you referred me too? The one pictured below.

I have priced it up probably going to cost around £75 which ain't bad if it solves the issues and turns that B****** light off!

I h1.jpg

I did encounter some really viscous sludge around the throttle plate and just inside the throttle body, so i do think it needs cleaning.

Just to be clear is the air intake manifold assembly the part and part number you posted in the tread you referred me too? The one pictured below.

I have priced it up probably going to cost around £75 which ain't bad if it solves the issues and turns that B****** light off!

I h1.jpg

Yeah that's it, the air the intake manifold assemby control part.

http://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/ford_focus_engine_air_shut_off_control_assy_f_1357313_c_812.htm

How long has your light been on? the EML tend to re-set themselves and go out after so many ignition turns! but the ECU will still store the related fault code which triggered the light when read with a code reader.

Yes I've read the ECU with a reader and it gave the p2008 code! The light only shows when the ignition is on, but when I start the car the light now goes out! I've tried to erase the code but it just keeps coming back on. I think I will change the part and il let you know if it works. Thanks for all the help and info.

• 2 weeks later...

Well Greggp that seems to have done the trick! :D :D

Really simple fix, made easy by all the info you provided thanks. I also fitted a new air filter and air intake hose, to the throttle body as it was torn.

Running great now and no codes present on the reader, fingers crossed this is a permanent fix.

Haven't noticed a difference in the fuel economy yet but its early days.

Once again, thanks for all the help really appreciate it. ;)

I know where to come now if i have any future issues, hopefully not.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Necro thread alert! Just popped in to say I replaced the air shut off controls. P2008 code is now gone, and the car runs WAY better, especially taking off from rest and accelerating from low engine RPM.

Thanks everyone.

• Like 2