Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil Vanished

andy_gib

Hi all, got a bit of a surprise last week when I check my oil for the fist time in cough, cough a couple of months. Dam thing was practically empty. Anyone got any ideas as to where it may have gone or things I need to check? 2.0 litre Duretec HE. Do these things eat it? Been fine since I bought it last year. Bit of a concern, No lights on dashboard. Last serviced (full) in April/May time. oil was probable last checked July/august, can't remember so I guess their wasn't any problem. Refilled with Castrol Magnatec, no idea what the previous make of oil was.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

Possibly worn piston rings, loose valve cover, leaking head gasket or worn valve stem seals/valve seats.

Have you noticed any blue or black smoke from the exhaust?

I'm gonna hazard a guess for the fact you haven't noticed any oil on your driver/where you park your car that the engine is burning it rather than leaking.

I would fill it back up to the max mark and determine how much oil it's going through

hi, I have the same engine in my focus and the oil level stays constant. How many miles has it covered ?

Haven't noticed any blue smoke on start up. When the engines warm & idling no smoke at all. Would you only get blue smoke on acceleration or also idling? No oil on ground, as far as I can see, engine also looks clean.

Blue or grey smoke usually.

If there is no smoke on start up or idle. Try revving the car to between 3-4k rpm once warmed up and have someone check the exhaust.

I've just put a new engine in a car which emitted no smoke on start up or while idling bit did while being revved.

Update: no smoke when warm or revved to 3/4000 rpm. oil has being brimmed so will see what happens over the next few weeks. Hopefully get Christmas out of the way.

Another odd thing did happen the other night coming back from work. Engine warmed up put heater on full to warm me up and the engine temp dropped significantly. It was cold outside but don't think that suppose to happen? Could the two be linked?

The temperature will drop when the heater is switched on, but while driving at a steady speed it should be able to hold the temperature. For a last few years of winter motoring and driving a diesel, the temperature fades away at lower speeds when you try to keep nice and toasty but I have found that putting the heater on to recirculate rather than draw cold air in from outside helps a massive amount.

• Like 1

Cheers, Thought it may be thermostat stuck open. It was only replaced about this time last year. Will see if I can replicate problem later this week & give your suggestion a go as temp dropped by nearly half to the quarter mark.

I seem to be learning a lot about cars from the problems this ones giving me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, my 1.8 duratec seems to be using a lot of oil as well. From what I've read the 2.0 normally have a problem with the PVC hose and valve causing high oil consumption, where as the 1.8s suffer from sticky rings.

I'm going to put some marvel mystery oil down the spark plugs holes and let it sit over night to see if it frees off the rings. It's only done 50,000 so hopefully they are just gunned up.

Thanks for the reply. Cars still losing oil but not loads. Waiting to get Christmas out of the way before I take it to the local garage. Will pass on PVC suggestion when I do. Cheers

My Mk2 2.0 Petrol has gone from not using any oil, to using loads. I have no smoke and no visible leaks, and it seems to run fine, I haven't a clue where the oil is going, but the PCV hose and valve problem sounds interesting, but I have no idea what this is, or where it is on my 2.0. does anyone have any info I could use to follow up on this please?

Cheers.

Phil.

My 1.8 uses around a litre every 500 miles which is quite excessive. The pcv is behind the intake manifold.

Hi all, I'm new to this site but have the same problem, but not sure if it is a problem! I'll explain. My car sits in the garage for two weeks at a time, then it'll get used. If I check the oil level before it's been started it will show empty on the dipstick, but if start for a while then recheck it's fine. I changed the oil and filter a while ago, it's doesn't smoke or burn any oil, just shows a low level after being stood for a while. Mark

When you check the oil before starting do you dip it more than once? I've noticed the level goes off the bottom when the car's been standing after a run but if I dip it a second time the oil reappears. My theory is that this effect is somehow caused by the fact that the dipstick seals the top of its tube with an 'O' ring, trapping pressure in the tube and preventing the oil from rising up it.

• 3 weeks later...

Update: garage have had a look & can't see any leaks. He's suggested the engine may just be "using" the oil or as I suspect burning it. He's changed oil & filter + added some seal conditioner to the oil in an attempt to see if that stops the oil loss. If it continues to drop he will investigate further.

If the seal conditioner works isn't that just delaying a possible internal problem? Will see how it goes but thinking of trading it in for something other than a Ford. Thanks for all your replies to the post.

• 6 years later...

Good day 

Have the same problem engine using oil but I have replaced the pistons with new rings and also rebore the block to 20 thou, had the cylinder head reconditioned please can someone help my car is a Ford focus 2.0 duratec HE

Thanks

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club