Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2008 Focus Titanium - Battery Light & Whirring Noise

IcePax

Hello,

My missus has just come home and told me her car has the battery warning light on whilst driving and the car is making an "electronic whirring sound" ....

Any clues? Am i right in thinking it's more Alternator related than battery ? If so ... what kind of cost do you think it's going to hit me for?

Hello, yes it sounds like it could be the alternator. Have you got an multimeter to check the voltage. Should be about 14v when turned on, I had a similar problem recently. What about when you start the car, does it start first time every time?

• Like 1

I don't have a multimeter, not that technically minded. Starts 1st time 90% of the time, 2nd time the rest. I'll pop it to Ford in the morning.... that's her xmas present sorted then LOL

Accessory belt frayed or loose, so alternator not being driven fully?

• Like 1

Well this morning it died, Power Steering failed, ABS and Anti-Skid lights came on all (thankfully) just as we pulled into a mechanics. A quick multimeter check confirmed the battery wasn't charging. New Alternator to be fitted on Monday morning and they've given us a loaner car in the meantime.

Thanks to all above for comments :-)