Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2007 Titanium With High Mileage

richardvilla

HI

Local to me there is a 2007 Titanium 2l diesel. Its got all the gadgets and gizmos and looks the part in black. It has done a whopping 153k miles but does have some history.

Now I have a 2003 petrol which the guy will consider p/ex + £2400 on top.

Should i be concerned at the high mileage? what do i look out for ? I know basics like oil colour and knocks and bangs but what is common on these to go?

Any help appreicated. I wont take my regular mechanic to check it over because he cant stand mondeo diesels for some reason so Im not sure if he'll give me an honest opinion without saying nahh leave it cus he doesn't like them!

Local to me there is a 2007 Titanium 2l diesel. Its got all the gadgets and gizmos and looks the part in black. It has done a whopping 153k miles but does have some history.

Now I have a 2003 petrol which the guy will consider p/ex + £2400 on top.

I imagine that a 2003 petrol won't be worth much, so that sounds like a good price.

Should i be concerned at the high mileage?

Concerned, yes. Put off completely, no.

what do i look out for ? I know basics like oil colour and knocks and bangs but what is common on these to go?

If it hasn't been cared for, there will be stuff that is problematic. So, the first question is, does it seem to have been cared for. One symptom is that it won't have been serviced regularly. Another thing is that the tyres will be cheap Chinese rubbish, because they will have bought the cheapest going. Even the windscreen wipers will be cheap rubbish, and the mats will be crap and the boot will be in a state.

If the wheels have been curbed to hell and back, the there has been at least one careless driver, and the thought of a careless driver driving it for that mileage would worry me.

Also ask how many owners the car has had; I'd be very cautious if it has had lots.

oil colour, on a diesel, is more-or-less meaningless. Get the oil changed and a few hundred limes later, it will be black.

Big money items are

The dual mass flywheel - can go from 80k, but could easily last twice that

Cam belt - recommended change at 125k

Injectors - random

Fuel pump - random

If the DMF and cam belts haven't been done at that mileage (and there is evidence in the paperwork of that, not just some sort of verbal, hand waving, assurance), I think I'd walk away. Equally, if the paperwork doesn't have evidence of pretty much regular servicing, I'd be very cautious. Equally, if the paperwork shows any evidence of recurring problems, I'd probably walk.

Its got all the gadgets and gizmos...

At that age, you should have the Sony radio (good), but it won't have DAB (not so good). You also won't have DRLs, but they didn't come in until the facelift. Titaniums usually come with everything except leather/heated leather and keyless. I wouldn't be in the slightest bothered about keyless, and full leather is so rare as to be nearly non-existant, but half leather and heated would be nice, and that's more usually found on Titanium Xs. OTOH, Titxs often have wheels/tyres that are inconveniently large (expensive tyres, less comfortable, noisier, try buying winter tyres in that size).

HI mate

Thank you so much for that. Ive made a few notes and ill go check them out. The seller said he's in no rush to sell and can hang on until i have made my decision (although i know the first accepted offer comes along its gone).

Just a few things the model is the newer shape one, and has a sat nav unit in it which apparantly is not an aftermarket one. It has the half leather seats to (ive had a 5 min look at it already - but you wasn't to know that). I will have a look through the service history and ask the questions and report back. I have noticed a lot of diesel mondys, insignias and passats have the high motorway mileage.

Ill post back later thanks for your help.

I have noticed a lot of diesel mondys, insignias and passats have the high motorway mileage.

I pretty sure a lot of them will be company cars. The good thing is that they will have been serviced regularly and maintained pretty well. Also lots of motorway mileage is probably better for a car than lots of short trips where it never really warms up.

Just a few things the model is the newer shape one, and has a sat nav unit in it which apparantly is not an aftermarket one.

If it is the Ford one, that's quite a good find as originally it will have been quite an expensive option. However, do check with someone who knows what the ongoing costs of updated maps are, and whether it has traffic (and if there is any cost to that); I think it may also be a single CD payer as opposed to the 6 cd player of the Sony, so also check that if it is important to you. Getting the original equipment one reduces wires trailing across the cabin, which is a good thing.

It has the half leather seats to (ive had a 5 min look at it already - but you wasn't to know that). I will have a look through the service history and ask the questions and report back. I have noticed a lot of diesel mondys, insignias and passats have the high motorway mileage.

Half leather is v common in the Titanium Xs but uncommon in 'plain' Titaniums (probably available as an expensive option at purchase time, I'm not sure, but, as these were usually company cars, it is a bit 'salesman get an edge, first line managers get a zetec....', and expensive options usually could only be obtained by someone quite a way up the foodchain).

Most of these cars were originally bought as company cars. A well serviced and cared for car could be in very good condition, even at this mileage. A badly cared for car could be a money pit, so you have to be more careful than with a lower-mileage car, but if you get it right, you could be 'quids in'.

Also the point that Ian makes about Motorway miles being relatively kind to the cars is right, and I don't think that you do 20+ k miles per year by sticking to B roads. What is, potentially, a slight worry is that you could be looking at a car that was cared for a properly serviced for, say, 100 - 120k under its first company owner, but was then bought by someone who only wanted to run the car without spending money.

(I should have mentioned DPF earlier; can be problematic, with faults leading to excess (or no) dpf regeneration. But it is a bit random, and there is no real reason to think that a high mileage car will automatically have problems, but the connecting pipes to the sensor do go (minimal cost) and there are other problems that are usual for an exhaust hung under the car, exposed to the elements).

I take it that it is a six speed manual? Do you get a warranty (I think, whatever the seller says, these days it is only 'private sales' and something like trade disposals that have effectively zero warranty, but the seller would probably like you to think that the warranty is whatever he says it is and not what the law says it must be)?

Do check the tyres (size and brand). Don't (imho) get yourself in to the unfortunate position of getting the biggest, fattest, tyres and wheels and then have to save money by putting on 'LingLong SuperEco Mega Sport Max Neoradials'; far better to get a slightly more moderate wheel and tyre size and be able to afford the good stuff. Or even the mid-market stuff. Also check that the mpg figure seems reasonable - if the seller has reset it so that it is only showing mpg over the last few miles, then maybe they are hiding something?

I don't like cars that have had towbars fitted - once every six months, to the local tip wouldn't be a problem, but someone who has been a persistent caravanner would be a different case, and how can you tell? Worth looking in the areas hidden by carpet in the rear corners to see if there is evidence of wiring being ripped out. Also have a look in the spare wheel well for evidence of wetness. (And a spare wheel...)

Yes,, I was thinking that if it was a co. Car then as a 2007 it's likely that it was kept for 3 ( maybe 4 ) yrs and so it's possibly been a private motor for at least 3 yrs. The service record is going to be crucial...

HI Guys and thank you for your valuable input.

Okay Ive gone and had a look at the car in more detail. It is the Titanium X with original ford sat nav unit, 6 cd changer in boot (sounds incredible), voice control etc. It also has parking sensors (which need attention ) and had a 6 speed box. It also has the headlights that "turn with the car" as he said. BOF, you are bang on the button my friend. Looking through its history its had its timing belt done a little under 125k miles and has full service history done by main dealers. Looks very much like a company car, and picked up by the last owner in May 2014 when he had it immediately serviced. Now, the big question, why is the guy selling it after 7 months? I kid you not the guy is 5 foot if that. He bought it and found the car is too large for him, can't see over the bonnet or when reversing. When i got in the car the seat was practically on the steering wheel lol.So, a decent enough excuse he needs something smaller.

There is no bangs or whistles coming from anywhere. Tires look fine although alloys a little scuffed. I loved it. A completely new and different experience to any of the cars i've had (older than 2003).

£2300 + mine. Think I should get it ??

Before anyone else gets the chance, I'll have a go at 'BCSD' standing for Big Car, Small Person, obviously.

Looking through its history its had its timing belt done a little under 125k miles and has full service history done by main dealers.

That's positive.

He bought it and found the car is too large for him, can't see over the bonnet or when reversing.

Actually, most people can't see when reversing in a Mondy, and even the exact location of the sides is a bit obscure. Reversing sensors very useful, therefore.

It's a chance, but I think I'd go for it. With the low effective price, you can afford a few small things to go wrong and still smile about it. A Titanium X is a high spec car - only really the tyres against it, for me, and you could replace those if it irritated you.

Apparently, there are disadvantages with the Ford Sat Nav. On another site, there is a fairly long thread about the traffic disappearing with the latest map disk. Apparently, not only are people being charged fairly heavily for the disk (although apparently the prices for the disk vary by supplier), but, without warning to them, this price is also costing them the traffic facility.

(Compare with, say, an aftermarket sat nav, where not only are the map updates about half the price of the Ford disk (and that's taking one of the cheaper Ford disk prices), that's if you have to pay for them at all, as these days they are often baked in to a far more reasonable original price. And, really, aftermarket sat nav suppliers know better than to just slice away a major feature that you've just paid for, because that kind of behaviour destroys their reputation, long term.)

Not a great deal, you'd have to say. But maybe typical treatment for an older model, once replaced by a nice, shiny, new, version, who knows (and it is disreputable behaviour on the part of the manufacturer, that reduces the value of their older cars)? Who would now spend serious money on one of those shiny new variants, if they actually knew that the manufacturer might cut the legs away from under their second-hand value at some random future time?

Well, older disks still give you the traffic, but your maps are forever frozen at less than up-to-date versions. And Ford lose the income. Win-win?????

Rant over.

HI again

So to sum it up:

Full service history to 125k miles (its done 150) small service done at 140k

Timing belt done at 125k

Nothing on clutch/flywheel

MOT till October 2015 no advisorys.

Ive been told the 2007 doesn't have a dpf ???

Got to make a decision by weekend.

Thanks

I believe all 2 litre Mk IVs have a DPF; some 1.8 probably don't (early ones?), but I think it is all 2 litres.

I'd be a bit bothered about the clutch/flywheel, but if you think that there is enough money in the deal that you can afford that, whenever it happens, then that concern would disappear.

You should also check on sites like Autotrader, Exchange and Mart, Parkers, Autoweb, Motors.co.uk (I think Motors and Parkers are the same vehicle databases with different front ends), to get prices of comparable high mileage cars.

Before anyone else gets the chance, I'll have a go at 'BCSD' standing for Big Car, Small Person, obviously.

That's positive.

Actually, most people can't see when reversing in a Mondy, and even the exact location of the sides is a bit obscure. Reversing sensors very useful, therefore.

It's a chance, but I think I'd go for it. With the low effective price, you can afford a few small things to go wrong and still smile about it. A Titanium X is a high spec car - only really the tyres against it, for me, and you could replace those if it irritated you.

have to agree there a nightmare to park i have to reverse in parking bays with thewife watching my back end lol