Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Strange Wear Pattern On Goodyear Eagle F1 As2's

troy45

Swapped to my standard ST wheels for winter last weekend - saves my Oz's getting cruddy from all the salt and grime plus standard wheels lot easier to clean, or can be left grubby if needed.

Noticed this when I did the opposite swap earlier this year, all 4 tyres have a ridge of tread in the centre of the tyre which is about 1mm proud of the rest of the tread.

EagleF1AS2.jpg

Got same tyres on the 18's but tread on those is fine.

The tyres above drove fine and didn't give me any problems, alignment was checked last year after the clutch and diff were done with and tread ware is fairly even. Rotating the tyres when I ran them this year doesn't seem to have made it worse or better. Plus got decent mileage out of the set and still have 3-5mm tread left. Going to change the set anyhow before I refit the wheels.

What pressures you set it to normally? I'm in the tyre trade, bit of a weird wearing indeed!

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Running 34psi front & rear, checked weekly.

Would wonder if there's a problem with the rubber compound not being regular across the tyre. Could check DOT codes to see if the tyres are all the same age or not but they're buried in the spare room now.

Could well be the compound, I'd send the photos to main dealer they might offer you a better answer!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello trot, I used to work as a tyre fitter, many top brand tyres have duel compound, centre being harder for mileage/ motorway and the shoulders slightly softer for cornering grip, continentals tend to do a similar thing, take care

• Like 1

Hello trot, I used to work as a tyre fitter, many top brand tyres have duel compound, centre being harder for mileage/ motorway and the shoulders slightly softer for cornering grip, continentals tend to do a similar thing, take care

Was aware of dual compounds being used for bike tyres but never considered it for car tyres as they always have full tread in contact with the road - that could explain things.

Not seeing the same wear (yet) on my set of 18's but they've not worn as low as the 19's. Will see how they compare depending how much more mileage they get before I'm swapping wheels about again.

Seen good reviews on the Conti SP5's but may just stick with the Goodyears as I can't fault them even with the strange wear lines.

• 2 months later...

I was searching this same issue and came across your thread. I've had exactly the same thing happen on my rear tyres with a raised ridge in the centre being approx 1mm proud of the surrounding tread. There has recently started a slight drone or possibly wheel balance issue at the back end, but as yet I don't know if this is the general tyre wear & tear, or maybe from pothole damage. Both the rears are still a few mm above the minimum tread indicator bars, and this is after 35,000 miles so I can't grumble about these tyres at all as they've been great. I'm in the tyre fitters on Tuesday to investigate and see if it's just a re-balance/tracking issue, or if the tyres are now just past it. After the tyre fitter visit I'll update this post for info purposes and anyone else searching for this same issue. Left & Right pics attached.

Incidentally, I did have the same tyres on the front, but just changed them when they hit the minimum depth. I don't recall any issues at all with them up to the point of renewing them, but unfortunately I just can't remember if the front tyres had the raised lines on them in the centre as shown in the images referred to in this thread.

Regards to all.

post-64647-0-89544300-1428699801_thumb.j

post-64647-0-43937100-1428699832_thumb.j

post-64647-0-70543900-1428699860_thumb.j

post-64647-0-48587400-1428699888_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting to see it's not just the set I had which showed this - I did mention it to the tyre fitter when the new set was being fitted and he did have a term for what it was but I can't remember what it was.

Same for me though it's mainly been an appearance query, can't fault how the tyres performed while I used them.

Closer inspection of the rear tyres shows flat spots on the inside edge of both rear tyres. It was worse on the rear left which would account for the droning & balance issue previously described.

Possible pothole damage may have contributed to this, or maybe its just construction of the tyres themselves. Anyway, both my rear tyres took 35,000 miles to get to this stage so I can't grumble too much I suppose.

I mentioned to the tyre fitter that I'd heard the Eagles were known for this uneven wear pattern previously - and his reply was 'They still are!'.

I just replaced the rears with Avons and all is good again now.

post-64647-0-39326800-1430089569_thumb.j

post-64647-0-01460900-1430089597_thumb.j

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club