Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 1.8 Tdci Duratorq Issue

pezza371887

Hi All,

I seem to be having an issue with my car which I'm not too sure about. The probem is that when travelling at low speeds even just rolling forwards in neatral in stop start traffic I can hear a knock or clonk and when driving with my headlights on your can see them dim as it makes the noise.

This is making the car look as though im flashing the car in front its that noticable when it makes the noise. I do a lot of motorway miles in stop start rush hour traffic so notice it a lot. I have also recently noticed sometimes when starting the car from cold when i rev the car the headlights get brighter then as i let off the accellorator the lights dim. This stops after a few minutes.

I have also noticed that the screen in the middle of the speedo and rev counter which displays the time and miles left before empty etc sometimes flickers behind the screen which again is fine when reving the car.

Not sure if this is a battery/alternator issue however not sure what the noise would be that causes the lights to dim.

Any thoughts or things to check would be great.

Thanks everyone

Allister

Just to add with the headlights I seem to be going through bulbs like no tomorrow. I have had to replace both left and right around 3-4 times in the last month or 2. I have tried Bosch, Halfords, phillips all seems to fail which i assume is due to the dipping all the time.

id get the battery and alternator tested, most garages will load test them for free (even kwik !Removed!) seems like an electrical issue and not something uncommon to discover at this time of the year

It recently had a complete new wiring loom fitted in the engine bay due to the glow plug wiring loom melting and damaging the loom. Might get it booked in to quickfit and see what they say.

you must be there when they run the tests, and make sure you watch the device they use to test, otherwise they will make you buy something you don't need

• Like 1

Any other ideas guys what this might be especially that knock noise that causes the lights to dim? Haven't managed to get it looked at yet.

Thanks. Everyone

• 1 month later...

Ford cant identify the clonk or replicate it. Going through headlights every 3-4 weeks.

Alternator brushes jumping and voltage drop or spike, that will blow bulbs

Need a voltmeter on the alternator to see what it does when it happens. Also could be a loose battery, clamp or cable. Again spiking the electrics

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

Managed to replicate the issue now, videod it with audio, listen at a high volume

listen out for the pfewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww noise then i move the steering wheel and clonk the lights dim, then the pfewwwwwwwwwwww noise again n move wheel - clonk.

Not sure if its the power steering pump, alternator etc.

Any ideas

Clonking between 1st and 2nd is normal apparently

Jamie

could be the power steering rack. i had the same issue when turning the wheels into a kerb, it seems like there was a broken tooth inside the rack and caused it to clonk when put against some pressure (the kerb)

Pezza

Has your car got air conditioning? I'm wondering if it's possible that the air conditioning pulley is making intermittent contact with the auxiliary drive belt or if there's some sort of a short on the A/C switch? The reason I suggest it is that the Aux drive belt is connected to the alternator: Might explain what's going on with the lights dipping.

The video makes it seem like it might be repetitive - I guessed about 13-14 seconds between the noises. Maybe someone else could comment on how long it takes for the A/C system to engage or if there's a time-out between when you switch off and when you can switch it back on again?

Cheers

Sco.

• 1 month later...

Hey,

Still no closer with this, my car does have air con but rarely have it on.

The issue is intermittent however when its occuring I can replicate it due to the sounds I can hear. There is a noticably clunk and you can feel it through the steering wheel when you want it to replicate. Not sure if its the power steering pump or alternator or something else.

Last week both my headlights had blown. I literally started the car and switched them on and nothing. Only had side lights, had to drive from Basingstoke to Southampton with fogs on gettings constantly flashed.

Regards

Allister

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club