Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What's Going On?

Josh775

Hi all,

It was really frozen the other day and I left my wipers on the Stork so when I turned my over they tried moving some ice.... Turned them off subsequently and now even a day after my front and rear wipers won't work and neither will my jet sprays.... When I click the stork up no matter what position nothing happens.

Would this just be a relay? Or is something burnt out? Any tips?

Cheers, Josh.

Ok thanks will check in morning.

Is this what I need if it's gone?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focus-mk1-98-05-wiper-relay-5-pin-PA66-GF25-/121473584131?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c4863cc03

or is there something else also?

Thanks

Ok; Will start with fuses in the morning.... see if they're OK. Then if they are will look at relay. Just doesn't make any sense!

It's that type of situation where fuses earn their keep - if the wiper motor is overloaded from trying to move ice but failing, while there is still power to it you're risking burning out the motor or in worst case setting fire to the wiring from pulling too much current through it.

So they engineer in a replaceable weak point (the fuse) which fails at a more or less known value before any permanent damage is done.

Same thing happened to me about 2 years ago and it had me beat trying to figure out what was wrong. I ended up putting it into my local dealer to sort it out turned out to be something in the gem module which cost me in excess of £500 to sort don't know why the fuse hadn't went first lol . Fingers crossed for u tho.

It's that type of situation where fuses earn their keep - if the wiper motor is overloaded from trying to move ice but failing, while there is still power to it you're risking burning out the motor or in worst case setting fire to the wiring from pulling too much current through it.

So they engineer in a replaceable weak point (the fuse) which fails at a more or less known value before any permanent damage is done.

Contrary to popular believe, you will be suprised at how much 'extra' load you can put on fuses without them blowing.

Quite. The rating of a fuse is not the current it will blow at but the maximum current it can carry indefinitely without blowing.

Thought I'd covered myself there with the 'more or less' bit ;)

• Like 1

Thought I'd covered myself there with the 'more or less' bit ;)

To the average guy off the street, the rating on the fuse is close enough :lol:

A circuit requiring 35 amps will be fused at 40 with a cable suitable of carrying atleast 40 amps, Although in reality that fuse may be able to draw 60 amps for say, 20 mins before it actually blows (just depends on fuse type and rating).

A large surge in current or short circuit and that fuse will blow very quickly - which is really all that matters.

• Like 2

What about people who use a 30A fuse in a 10A circuit? That always makes me laugh...

What about people who use a 30A fuse in a 10A circuit? That always makes me laugh...

Ahh the 30 amp will be fine for now..

I remember years ago when cars had glass type fuses, either they were wrapped in foil or you'd find a gutter bolt with the head cut off it.... Lol

• Like 1

I still come across 'homemade' fuses often enough. Haha, the good old roofing bolt?

People must realise that when a fuse blows it's for good reason not just a nuisance. Explain to your house/car insurance when it goes on fire..

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club