Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Jump Sarting Vehicle Using Jump Leads

Lenny

i would never use a jump start as the smart charge system will try and zap 18 volts into the dead battery which can fry componants.

• Like 1

Why would Ford design a charging system that could destroy the car's systems?

• Like 1

Pretty much every modern car shouldn't be used to jump another one tbh.

The best thing to use is a booster pack.

• Like 1

was told by a mechanic not to jump anyone using a car newer than 08 cause the way there wired he said if you do it the other car will send a surge of electricity and screw up your engine

Since the evolution of electronic engine management systems cars have become far more sensitive to any power surges.

A bricked ECU or cluster are darn expensive pieces of kit to replace if something goes wrong.

Definitely not worth the risk.

Why does the manual tell you how to jump start the car then?

Doesn't say not to do it.

Im not suggesting wheather it should or shouldn't be done,

Just saying if you're gonna do it well that's how :lol:

Never jump petrol vehicle with a diesel or diesel with petrol,

So if stranded in middle of nowhere freezing cold waiting 40 minutes for someone to come along to help,

Your in a petrol and they have a diesel; turn em away and continue to suffer :lol:

I saw the image on twitter and decided to share it with y'all wingy shower.

• Like 3

When I worked for Renault many moons ago we used to use a 3.0V6 Diesel Espace to jump everything, cars used to go flat on the forecourt all the time and this was the only car that never went flat,

Never killed any Meganes, most fragile motor on earth, not that I know of anyway, warranty queue was about 15 miles long lol

• Like 1

Why does the manual tell you how to jump start the car then?

Doesn't say not to do it.

Hi,,, its just telling you the best way possable in the event of having to do it,

There are pit falls to jump starting with a modern car sa i have seen, all sorts of things can happen even though you have tried to control it.

I once say my ex boss jump start his wifes Corsa with his Audi, the Corsa it turned out had a wireing fault and when he jumped it off with his Audi the doner Audi recieved a spike that wiped his ECU leaving him with a 4 wheeled brick.

Im not saying this wall happen all the time,, but it can happen as there are cercumstances you cannot ocntrol,, ie,, a wireing fault.

Imagine this one,, one day your being a good samaritan in a supermarket car park and jump a strangers car off,, they drive away all smiles, you put your gear away get in your car and its dead,, now this can happen and does happen.

so the idea for me would be to lessen the chance of this happening and if you really have to jump off a car use a power pack of some type.

I once had to be jumped off by a mechanic who brought a battery and used that, i asked him why and he explained the same thing to me,,, to control the event.

Interesting...I've used jump leads many times without problem but admitiedly never with a car newer than 07 plate, and including mixed petrol and diesel engines starting eachother. I normally start with the donor car engine already running, and always very careful that the + and - don't touch eachother or a common conductor and short out! Is really a problem on new cars, or is it a case of someone once had an ECU blow up and posted it on youtube so now everyone thinks it will happen to them?

• Like 1

... the Corsa it turned out had a wireing fault and when he jumped it off with his Audi the doner Audi recieved a spike that wiped his ECU leaving him with a 4 wheeled brick...

Spiteful little sh...cars, aren't they?!
  • Like 1

Im not suggesting wheather it should or shouldn't be done,

Just saying if you're gonna do it well that's how :lol:

Never jump petrol vehicle with a diesel or diesel with petrol,

So if stranded in middle of nowhere freezing cold waiting 40 minutes for someone to come along to help,

Your in a petrol and they have a diesel; turn em away and continue to suffer :lol:

I saw the image on twitter and decided to share it with y'all wingy shower.

Umm, a battery is a battery lol. I have jump started both way rounds many times, no issues. I've also jump started quite a few fords, never had an issue so each to their own.

If possible though I do prefer to leave the flat battery car connected to the donor vehicle to allow it to charge a little before attempting to start it.

Spiteful little sh...cars, aren't they?!

lol,,, it was back in 2009 and it was brand new,,, she had loads of trouble with it as it went back to the dealership about 5 times, but eventually my boss had about all he was going to take and took the bugger back and told them where to put it, scrap yard i think lol. :)

• Like 1

A thought on this please.

Previously had a Focus 54 plate and used to jump my bike from it when I couldn't be #rse# to charge the battery. Judging from this thread it may not be a good idea to do this with the Mondeo 56 plate.More expense now, either a new bike battery or a spare car battery I can keep in case of emergency.

ps the bike battery runs down because of alarm and have no electric in the garage.I have a solar charger but doesn't work too well in this weather.

Your bike battery won't be in great shape if it keeps going flat and gets left like that for long periods.

Others on here will advise you don't use the mondeo to jump start the bike, but if it were mine - I would still do it if I had to.

Bike alarms are great for wearing down batteries my brother carries out a lot of bike repairs and related jobs - his usual alarm repair procedure involves a pair of snips and a bin.

Used to disconnect mine for bikes left over winter, or start the bike every week or 2 to keep it healthy. That's without any alarm fitted, and can't think I ever needed to replace a battery.

• Like 1

I have jumped a few cars and bikes with success but would always suggest buying a booster pack from a reputable supplier and keeping it charged in the boot (also wire in a 12v so you can keep it plugged in and topped up as you go).