Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help Please

Pedro30

Hi all

I drove my 2006 ford focus to work on Thursday and when I stopped noticed the fan was running after lifting the bonnet noticed almost all of the coolant reservoir was empty, but could see no visible leak I topped it up again and drove a couple of miles and rechecked and again almost all the coolant had gone.

I parked the car and topped it up on Thursday night, I checked the level this afternoon(sat) and it's lost nothing I turned the car over and noticed a fast drip coming from above the heat shield in line with the bulkhead the interesting thing is if I turn the heating control to cold the dipping slows almost immediately and stops dripping but if I turn the heating to hot it starts to drip again.

Could this be a hose to the heater matrix is it an easy/cheap fix.

Thanks in advance

Does sound like the hose to the heater unit. There may be some extra things you'll need to do in order to get to the hose properly for changing it but shouldn't be too big a job.

The connector to the HVAC unit at the bulkhead is usually a push-fit connector, then probably a big spring clip or jubilee clip at the engine end. Maybe handy to have a spare jubilee clip to hand in case the original clip gets damaged while you're removing it. Then it's a case of refilling the coolant system and leaving top off the reservoir with engine running to bleed out any air in the system.

Another thing to consider if loosing coolant after topping up repeatedly could be a water pump issue.

When was the timing belt or water pump last changed?

• Like 1

Hi Dave having checked again think it is coming from the water pump is that bottom left of engine bay.

Sorry to be dumb but if so it was dripping from here today only when the engine is running car is 2006 focus with 61000 miles and neither belt or pump have been changed before.

Is it an expensive fix or can I go for a quick fix as I'm getting a lease car from work in 10 weeks typical.

Thanks in advance

Ps the first leak I found was clear liquid so could just be condensation from AC pipes?

Yeah the water pump should be around that area.

It's false economy really to change the water pump without doing the timing belt aswell but if your getting a lease car maybe your thinking of getting rid of your Focus so it's all the one to you really?

Waterpump went in my last car an Audi A3 and for the timing belt & water pump in an independent garage was €500, hopefully Ford doesn't cost as much.

Could anyone shine a bit of light as to when the recommended interval for a timing belt change on the Fcous it?...I think they are ment to be long life are they?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club