Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk1 Focus Locks And Remote Central Locking

MiltyG565

Gents;

The locks on my Focus stopped working this week. The Driver's side lock stopped opening a few weeks ago, and the passenger's side one stopped working on Wednesday. A freshly cut key did very little to fix the problem, which makes me think there's more to it than just a worn key/lock. Anyway, in the meantime, it would be great if I could just buy a key fob and programme it for remote central locking.

Here's the problem - I don't know if the car has ever had RCL. As far as I know, it hasn't. Can a Mk1 Focus that's never had RCL still receive a remote signal? Was the technology built into every car, but not used on all of them?

It would be a great help right now if anyone could tell me. I'm back to work on Monday, and I really don't want to have to leave my car at work overnight again.

TL;DR - Can a Focus without RCL still accept/be programmed with a RCL key?

The MK1 with remote central locking has a different type of central locking module from the MK1 without remote central locking.

To retrofit remote central locking you have to change the central locking module for a remote central locking module and buy a suitable keyfob. Usually the extra connector for the remote central locking module is taped to the wiring loom.

That's not strictly true. There's a module you can get on the bay that will give you remote locking and less ball ache to fit than swapping the original unit out for a remote one. I'll post a link later. The reason the locks stop working is due to a microswitch that gets wet. If you open the door and look at the lock you'll see three torx screws. Open the bottom one and spray a load of wd40 in there at a downward angle with the little tube on the can. Keep going till you see it dripping out of the drain on the bottom of the door. That should restore your locking. But it's a bodge really, you need to remove all the locks out of the door and clean them. I plan to do this when the weather gets a bit better. I'll bet once you spray the drivers door, the central locking will spring back into life ;)

By the way, Google 'VIN decoder' and enter in you vin number, it will give you the full spec that your car came with from new. I thought mine should have remote locking but it was not on it from the factory. It's interesting to see what it came with from new

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Universal-Car-Remote-Control-Central-Door-Lock-Locking-Keyless-Entry-System-/201237975086?talgo=origal&tfrom=270992108347&ttype=price&tpos=unknow

Thats the remote module (aftermarket)

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/tutorials/article/218-fitting-remote-central-locking-to-a-mk1/

Heres how to fit it. Special thanks to Pisco from this forum for doing a guide to making it easy. I plan to install this in my mk1 in the new year. Be far cheaper than trying to retrofit a proper Ford remote module I reckon....

That's not strictly true. There's a module you can get on the bay that will give you remote locking and less ball ache to fit than swapping the original unit out for a remote one. I'll post a link later. The reason the locks stop working is due to a microswitch that gets wet. If you open the door and look at the lock you'll see three torx screws. Open the bottom one and spray a load of wd40 in there at a downward angle with the little tube on the can. Keep going till you see it dripping out of the drain on the bottom of the door. That should restore your locking. But it's a bodge really, you need to remove all the locks out of the door and clean them. I plan to do this when the weather gets a bit better. I'll bet once you spray the drivers door, the central locking will spring back into life ;)

No that's really not the problem. The key has stopped unlocking the car altogether. I thought I could maybe make do with RCL if I could get a remote fob and code it for cheap. I don't see how the microswitch will stop the actual lock from turning?

Well the lock barrels must be knackered then if they are not turning. In sure you'll find a workaround

It seems highly unlikely that both driver's and passenger's lock barrels would be that badly worn. Usually the passenger lock hardly gets any use.

Milton, just to clarify, are you saying that you can't turn the key in the locks or do they turn without unlocking?

Presumably the key works in the ignition lock and boot locks ok?

Its common practice on the older focus to have the lock barrels swapped around at this stage of the game.

It seems highly unlikely that both driver's and passenger's lock barrels would be that badly worn. Usually the passenger lock hardly gets any use.

Milton, just to clarify, are you saying that you can't turn the key in the locks or do they turn without unlocking?

Presumably the key works in the ignition lock and boot locks ok?

It is extremely unlikely, but the Driver's door lock stopped working a while ago, and I had been using the passenger door in ignorance of the possibility that it might go the same way.

The key works in the ignition. It never worked in the boot for as long as I've had it.

I've had another key cut, and it doesn't work either.

The key turns in the locks, but doesn't turn far enough to unlock the doors (i.e. key and lock worn so they don't engage properly).

The locks do work. They lock and unlock. The key will still unlock them with 20 minutes of jiggling the key around inside the lock. But I don't really fancy jiggling the key around for even as much as 2 minutes every time I want to get into my car.

I might just phone Ford tomorrow and order a lock set. The fella says they're £120 for 5 locks and 2 keys.

Its common practice on the older focus to have the lock barrels swapped around at this stage of the game.

Have you done it?

Also can anybody tell me if it says in the Haynes manual how to dismantle the door handles from the door? I had one of those manuals, but I lost it, and I don't want to buy another one unless it explains that in it. I'm sure it's straightforward anyway, but I've had a bit of trouble finding information on how to do it online.

not on a focus but on other fords, yes. iTs handy enough to do. The boot lock barrel must have been already changed then. You use the button on the dash to open that yeah?

not on a focus but on other fords, yes. iTs handy enough to do. The boot lock barrel must have been already changed then. You use the button on the dash to open that yeah?

Yeah. I don't really use the boot anyway, so it makes little difference. But the button unlocks it anyway.

Lucky. My boot release button doesn't work. Something else I have to look into lol