Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guide: Fitting Dual Camera Dvr System Focus Mk2 & Mk2.5

Lenny

Lenny

I'm thinking of buying the similar system to yours ( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361238633396?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT ) but I dont like the massive cup mounts. I was hoping for something that was more discreet. Is there anyway you think that this could be done - possibly unmounting it and re-attaching it to another smaller fixed bracket?

Is the manufacturer/brand called Stoga? I've found similar products on amazon UK

parking mode allows the camera to record when your not in the car. My camera detects motion on the screen, loud noises, movement of the car and vibrations.

It activates when the ignition is turned off and will keep an eye on your car whilst your away, if it detects movement or an event it then records 10 seconds before and after the event. The key part to this is not killing your battery, so when it detects a drop in voltage it will turn off, it will also turn off if it gets too hot or nothing happens for x period of time.

ive recorded all sorts whilst my car is on its own, recently it caught the cheeky sod or drove in to my car and buggered off.

what the @!?%$^&*

why did they do that twice?

what do you make of your Thinkware F750 dashcam?

youtube compresses videos quite a bit and parking mode is recorded at a lower quality, regular driving footage is great tho, night recording is pretty impressive as well, don't expect to see any number plates at night tho.

as for the cam, build quality is perfect, it uses capacitors rather than batteries for emergency power, good tech support if you need it, its a great device.

There are so many cameras out there you really need to watch what you get, its not all about resolution, bitrate plays a massive part as does frame rate and more importantly aperture.

These dual cameras do have one problem, bitrate, a single cam could have a bit rate as high as 20Mbps which will give you a near on perfect picture, but there are limitations to what the chipsets can handle which effectively limits dual camera setups to about 11Mbps per cam so you can get two better quality cameras and mount them either end of the car with their own power and SD card. but for ease of use and less power consumption I found the slightly reduced bitrate of the f750 acceptable, number plates can be seen easily enough which is the main thing.

• Like 1

Thanks for that Darren. I'm still in 2 minds, do i get a dual camera set up or just buy 2 different cams and install them?

I think the parking mode option is a must for me but also a cam that can handle at least 32gb, i know some can do 64 or even 128gb but this is a lot of money.

most cameras will do 32GB, I wouldnt worry about that, more complicated is getting a card that works, if you want a 64GB camera, get one, don't try and save some pennys and buy the card separately because it might not work.

I toyed with the 2 separate camera idea but just figured it will draw more electricity, it will need 2 SD cards and it will be a pain in the !Removed! wiring it up, the 2channel cameras just have a single cable for the rear camera, no hassle or fuss, just a wire up the A pillar, over the headliner to the boot rubber thing, then on to the camera

here is a night time video, front and a PIP rear.

I don't have my camera at the moment (its recording the garage fixing her up) and I don't have a daytime video on the road with me

oh an remember youutube compresses the video by quite a margin,

• Like 1

and keep in mind your excess, I set the limit to around my excess on the insurance, because if you have one accident with more than your excess you have paid for the camera, it might seem steep I know, but the benefit far exceeds the cost.

my excess is £0 so no issues there.

there are so many different cams on the market so i've decided to just go with the one Lenny mentioned and see how I get on with it.

• Like 1

good website this for comparison of various dashcams. I did note that also this website shows some dashcams of not having parking mode, another website ( http://www.carcamerashop.co.uk/car-cameras/feature/parking-protection.html ) did say they did.

e.g. mobius dash cam - dashcamtalk says its doesnt have it yet carcamerashop says it does!

from the people who design these Chinese devices, there is a bit of a golf between what the designer wants it to do, what the manufacture makes it do and what the Marketing people says it can do. there are loads of folk on that site I linked to that get stung because of poor translation or "creative" marketing.

as for parking mode, some can simulate it by using GPS data, when the car sits still for x period of time based on GPS it kicks in. the problem with that is GPS isn't fool proof

if you search those forums you will see all sorts of problems people have had.

another thing to keep in mind is revisions, the mini 806 for example, the first two batches are crap, only after batch 3 are they any good. Of course batches 1 and 2 seem to forget what batch they as subsequent batches are made.

good luck keep us posted with it tho! any cam is better than none at all :)

• Like 1

ive recorded all sorts whilst my car is on its own, recently it caught the cheeky sod or drove in to my car and buggered off.

Quite frankly I am astonished that not only did they do it once but twice for no apparent reason. I hope you have taken that further I certainly would in that scenario.

• Like 1

Yup, police were called, they waited 24 hours to give her the chance to report it now she's been charged with leaving the scene or something like that. If she had just left her details she would have saved herself (and me) a whole load of trouble. But I have no sympathy, I think its up to 10 points on a licence and upto a multi thousand pound fine. I can't imagine it'll be just a slap on the wrists when she did it twice, if she ends up loosing her job then its a tough lessen to learn but in my mind not leaving your details is as bad as having no insurance at all, no thought was given to me so tough.

What's scary is the amount of damage from two low impact events!

• Like 2

its funny as my wife used to work in a personal injury claims company and she thinks I'm the one wasting money for having a dash cam :blink:

• Like 1

its funny as my wife used to work in a personal injury claims company and she thinks I'm the one wasting money for having a dash cam :blink:

after this mess my partner now wants one, no arm twisting required! if only she would see OEM xenons as so important :( just have to go down the old fashioned route of them falling off on the way home. :D

Do any of you guys suffer from radio interference issues? The power cable is near the aerial and so my DAB radio isnt working that well. As soon as i disconnect the power the radio is fine. New dashcam has arrived so the power cable shouldnt be near the aerial so i hope its gonna be ok

i think quite a few of them suffer from this, might be worth trying the existing one with wiring taken out and clear of the aerial. I cant imagine that a 5V /12v wire drawing a few mA to a couple of hundred at most would create such a large electromagnetic field it would bugger up that signal, might be more of a problem to do with earthing, should probably give it a test before your new one arrives.

on mine the cables run up the same A pillar as the aerial, no problems at all

update - i got all excited in fitting the dashcam and got my tools ready, got the music on and opened the box to find they sent me the wrong item, so i went from :) to :( to :cry:

i went back to the seller and now amazon says the item could be delivered as late as 15th Jan 2016 :o so i was all :angry::angry::angry:

waiting on a reply from the seller to see if they can sort me out

• Like 2

update - i got all excited in fitting the dashcam and got my tools ready, got the music on and opened the box to find they sent me the wrong item, so i went from :) to :( to :cry:

i went back to the seller and now amazon says the item could be delivered as late as 15th Jan 2016 :o so i was all :angry::angry::angry:

waiting on a reply from the seller to see if they can sort me out

😦aww 📷

the wrong video killed the radio store

hi all

my new dashcam has turned up!

i ordered the Stoga Cboc STV3000A (link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stoga-Cbox-STV3000A-Rearview-Recorder-Black/dp/B00WMO05H0 ) and they sent me a different one again :blink: BUT...this time I have received the one in the 2nd pic but with 2 small discreet camera's which is what i had wanted - didnt like the big suction mounts. I will be fitting this over the weekend, weather permitting.

happy days! need to get some RAW footage uploaded so we can all get a good looks, youtube just sucks the life out of them

well, here's what i found:

Card Capacity Full HD 1080P 30fps HD 720P 30fps

8GB 1hr 10 min 2hr 10 min

16GB 2hr 20 min 4hr 20 min

32GB 4hr 40 min 8hr 50 min

extremely disappointing results :unsure:

I'll take a picture of mine tomorrow displaying the hours of recording time remaining just so you can see I'm telling the truth

will be 17 hours from both camera's20151210_085427_zpsuvm55xsl_edit_1449737

I've just discovered the format which my DVR system records is .mov

perhaps this is why it can fit 17hrs from both camera at 30FPS in 720P on to a 32Gb micro SD card.

I've just checked and the recording format says H.264 MOV so I'm guessing min should record a similar number of hours to yours and if it does then excellent B)

• Like 1

MOV?

that's a container that I haven't used in a long time

I have a strong loathing for anything Apple related but to be fair on them, MOV isn't a codec, its a container that Apple invented to try and take over the world, the container refers to a file that contains multiple audio / video tracks, much like AVI or MKV, think of it like a folder with load of things within it . The encoding will actually be something else, if your able to upload a file to a server like onedrive and share me the link ill find out what type of video it is.

The number of audio and video codec permutations is staggering, then you have bit depth and resolution and FPS, it can all get a bit messy when trying to compare videos

H.264 is a codec and bit for bit, is actually very good at delivering good results at reasonable file sizes, depending on bit depth, FPS and Resolution....

to be honest, if your recording 1080p at a combined bit depth of 20Mbps with H264 you wont get that amount of recording done.

I have a 64GB card, and two cameras recording at 1080p, 30FPS and 11Mbps on one stream and 9Mbps on the other, its full in about 4 hours.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club