Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sat Nav Unit Upgrade

Dave_TDCI

I'm considering upgrading my Focus Sat Nav head unit as it seems to have problems reading CDs, needs new map updates and was thinking about installing a reverse camera so it would probably be cheaper replace the hole unit as to repair or carry out what work needs to be done on the factory one.

Something like this is what I'm looking at http://www.ebay.ie/itm/In-Car-GPS-sat-nav-DVD-Player-NAVI-for-FORD-FOCUS-Mondeo-C-MAX-S-MAX-KUGA-GALAXY-/281365164418?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_GPSSystems_GPSSystems&hash=item4182abb182

My car has the factory Sat Nav with the larger on board computer in the instrument cluster which also displays Sat Nav information, I'm wondering if I install a new system, will it still display info from the Sat Nav on my onboard computer as I quite like this function?

Got the same unit in my Focus :)

Can't see the unit putting the same info on the dash display as the Ford unit - it just runs generic sat-nav software which doesn't even know what kind of car it's installed in.

Yeah thought as much but was hoping to hear otherwise ha.

Would you consider it a good unit?

Price of it doesn't seem bad considering all the features it has :)

• Like 1

Yeah thought as much but was hoping to hear otherwise ha.

Would you consider it a good unit?

Price of it doesn't seem bad considering all the features it has :)

Looks good to me,

Has all the features however the Satnav map may not be 100% for this country,

If you already have factory bluetooth you can remove the module from above the glovebox they sell for around 80-90 euro.

Also i recommend this reverse camera from dynamic-sounds

http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/beat-cam-fd1-ford-focus-2007-cmos-number-plate-car-reverse-rear-view-camera.html

Sign up to Parcel motel and save a fortune on shipping from the uk they give you an address in antrim have it shipped there then they forward it to your local collection point within 24hrs for as little as 4 euro.

Before purchasing the headunit though,

You may consider a pioneer with carplay,

CarPlay is the way forward: voice control send recieve text messages request weather updates, traffic updates, sports updates all by pressing one button and using your voice.

Satnav unit can be added to pioneer headunits aswell as other accessories,

Double the price of ypur existing linked unit but if you sell ypur existing bluetooth module, microphone and headunit then your almost there.

List them on eBay.co.uk not eBay.ie as there's more market in the uk.

Ive sold all mine last September :)

I would strongly suggest you go to www.eonon.com

or any other branded company selling that clone, just because if it goes wrong you have someone to fall back on that has a reputation to keep.

There are also dozens of versions of those clones, some look shoddy, some look great, its really worth shopping around for but its definitely one id stay clear of eBay for, theres just too many crappy ones out there.

http://www.eonon.com/Car-GPS/Specific-Car-GPS/Ford/D5162.html

is the one I have which I will vouch for. I originally got shipped an old version of it (they updated it not long after I bought it) it developed a CD fault, spoke to eonon, took a video, sent it back to them and they sent me a new one, this one had some software refinements, radio worked better, had the ability for DVB-T and DAB+ and all is well again.

its your call obviously but for peace of mind I would rather pay a wee bit more for something with a name attached and known support then just get the cheapest clone on eBay!

oh an don't bother with their sat nav software, get yourself a micro SD card and PM me ;)

• Like 1

Good idea Lenny I'm going to sign up to Parcel motel straight away. Is it a Pioneer headunit with carplay you have installed?...And if so what one?

Dee you have a good point there. If you buy a cheap generic one and it works...great, but if you have problems with it which could be very likely than having a branded one should make all the difference when it comes to customer service. The one you have, I'm guessing it was just a straight swap plug n play was it? And do you have the reverse camera function set up on it?

One thing I currently have in my Focus is voice control, I don't use it all that often but would that still be compatible with a new headuint provided it has that option?

• Like 1

Good idea Lenny I'm going to sign up to Parcel motel straight away. Is it a Pioneer headunit with carplay you have installed?...And if so what one?

Dee you have a good point there. If you buy a cheap generic one and it works...great, but if you have problems with it which could be very likely than having a branded one should make all the difference when it comes to customer service. The one you have, I'm guessing it was just a straight swap plug n play was it? And do you have the reverse camera function set up on it?

One thing I currently have in my Focus is voice control, I don't use it all that often but would that still be compatible with a new headuint provided it has that option?

No problem mate,

"Respect to the man in the Nightline Van" :)

Ive fitted the pioneer Avh-x8600bt treated myself for Christmas,

Cheapest supplier is dynamic sounds same shop supplies the reverse camera,

Pioneer CarPlay is on a range of there head units starting at around 300 euro i think.

I only purchased 8600bt because it has two USB ports,

One for wife's iPhone

One for my Android

If going pioneer

See my guide to fitting aftermarket headunit for a link to purchase the proper dash kit which includes a steering stalk adapter allowing your existing controls to function on the new unit:

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/63689-guide-fitting-aftermarket-headunit-mk25-focus-2008-2011/

Dynamic sounds in London is best supplier for pioneer headunit, reverse camera and aftermarket dash kit,

They ship free to parcel motel in Antrim aswell.

Also you may like to fit a 10" sub see guide Here: http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/63695-guide-fitting-custom-amp-sub-enclosure-mk2-mk25-focus-2005-2011/

Im pretty sure it doesn't have BT voice controls, but it does have canbus support, the stalk works fine as does the reverse cam mode without the need for switching cables and such like, I do have the camera and its great although I like the sensors as well as the camera doesn't quite catch the outside corners of the bumper.

the only niggle is the lights on the HU wont turn on with headlights, it is supposed to but you need to apply a wee fix by connecting a pink wire to a light that turns on, such as the demist leds, im not sure why that isn't fixed as its been an ongoing question since they made this HU but the fix apparently works, personally I just have the lights on all the time now

• Like 1

Same with my unit, the voice control doesn't work now but I'm not that bothered. The Canbus stuff worked straight out of the box, same for the camera input. In fact while the job took me a fair few days to do, most of the time was taken up stripping trim out to mount the reversing camera then running the cables to reverse lights and the dash.

I did a decent amount of research on the different units before I bought mine, and Asure got good feedback for their service and support. Mine was missing the 4Gb SD card when delivered and I had no problems getting a replacement sent out to me. I'd definitely recommend them.

Only thing I'd consider for the future is having DAB again, so at some point I may go for an upgraded unit depending what's available.

• Like 1

That's good to hear. Biggest worry is buying something off eBay and turns out to be sh*t and the seller won't stand over their product or do much to oblige.

Yeah DAB radio is another feature I want to have on the new headunit, I think with that particular unit you have there is an option for DAB on it is there? Is the sat nav any good on it?

• Like 1

That's good to hear. Biggest worry is buying something off ebay and turns out to be sh*t and the seller won't stand over their product or do much to oblige.

Yeah DAB radio is another feature I want to have on the new headunit, I think with that particular unit you have there is an option for DAB on it is there? Is the sat nav any good on it?

They are all essentially clones of something, but everyone an their aunty has slightly different versions produced some better than others. My new one has an option for Dab+, there is a separate box that you can purchase. as for the sat Nav, the software is really nothing to do with the headunit, unless you buy it with it. so the sat nav is really as good as you want it to be. ive been tweaking mine, primo 2.4, its pretty much perfect for my needs
  • Like 1

Not aware of DAB being an option with the asure unit, can't see anything in the manual but haven't specifically asked the question. Could be that it'll accept an input from a DAB receiver but I'd want it integrated so you can pick channels from the head unit itself. Is that how the eonon unit would handle it?

My unit also came with some version of Igo Primo nav software, got 2 different versions of it now as when I queried the missing SD card they provided download link plus the replacement card had another version already on it. I've not really tested it's abilities that much and have still to learn how best to set it all up.

• Like 1

yeah the eonon one I believe has a special connection, there is a separate piece of software on the headunit that controls the DAB function, so it is controlled on the HU itself, I don't know how that compares to the normal radio software as its disabled unless the separate box is plugged in. Sat-nav, I might try and setup a link so folk can download a setup and working copy of it if there is interest

• Like 1

The one I posted the link to says DAB but reading what functions are listed in seems as if DAB is an extra optional add on,

In regards to installing whichever version of the headunit ye bought, was it simple plug n play bar installing the reverse camera?...As in could I use original bluetooth aerial from original headunit and just plug it into the new one?

I might throw my factory unit up on eBay, should cover the cost of the new one or part of it anyway :)

• Like 1

installing was pretty straight forward

Get your Code for the old head unit first!

Take the centre trim off, unscrew the old HU and pull it out and disconnect it

Pop the glovebox out and remove the side panel that faces the door whilst your at it, that one just pulls off.

remove the door seal around the front half

pulling the pillar trim off is a pain in the !Removed!, expect broken clips!

Your going to mount the GPS sensor here somwhere, I also ran the mic and reverse cam wire up here whilst is was in there as well to save hassle. go through the back of the glovebox and up behind the head unit.

I also cut a hole in my glove box and mounted a USB / 3.5mm jack socket in the top, I ran these wires through to the head unit as well.

before you start plugging stuff in, find the aerial connector and poke it back through the various pieces of plastic with a mind to increase the length of the wire, there is at least two places you can feed it back through to give you more cable.

take the head unit and start plugging it all in, I mounted the canbus adaptor to the top of the Head unit and tried to get the big connecting block thing poked down as low as I could. once you got it all connected take all the extra phono sockets your not using and bend them over the top of the head unit, there is no space what so ever in this area an getting as much as possible out the way will help you no end with getting the HU seated properly. with the unused phonos on top with the canbus and the connection block down low, it will slot in nice and easy!

If you didn't pull through the aerial cable as much as possible it will more then likely fall out as you push it in so its worth doing!

it really is easier then ive made that sound though!

:)

there isn't a bluetooth aerial, there is a bluetooth module above the glovebox, it will be redundant after installing this new head unit though, which is also why the existing aux socket will no longer work.

Good write up cheers!

Haha little more work than I expected so, suppose would have it done in a few hours though.

The existing bluetooth module would be redudant?...So has the new headunit a built in bluetooth module so?

• Like 2

Its really not that bad, but ive taken this thing apart a dozen times or so over the past few months connecting bits to it so I have some ideas for saving time! :) id suggest running that reverse cable at the same time though, you can have it plumbed in behind the HU, if you should get the camera its just a matter of doing the rear end work, if not, then it just sits there. Either way, you going up the pillar anyway for the GPS unit soooo.....

The HU has its own bluetooth module so yes, the ford one is completely redundant, and since the aux socket runs off the bluetooth module that goes too, a temp solution for aux would be to run an extension lead through the vent in the back of the glove box.

• Like 1

There's a USB and 3.5mm Aux port available in the form of a 12v socket,

I've replaced my 12v socket inside the arm rest with one,

Ideal for keeping the stock appearance :)

The bluetooth module with voice control is worth around 60-90 euro on eBay.co.uk

Ship via parcel motel to uk

There's a fellow member seeking bluetooth voice control parts see link: http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/65118-focus-mk25-bluetooth-voice-control-parts-and-cc-parts/

You can supply microphone and module, perhaps steering stalk aswell if you pick up one without the voice button for 3 pounds like i did and sold voice control stalk for 20

aye that was basically the USB socket I got you can even get a 3 pole one that will allow you to use a video input as well but I couldn't justify the price over the basic one.

I drilled a hole in the glove box and mounted it up the top, you cant see it sitting down, so it kinda "looks" stock :)

I was tempted to use the existing aux socket with some cutting of wires but whilst I don't mind cut holes in things, cutting wires is something Im trying to avoid

(Finally got those silver bulbs today that you mentioned, no more fried egg indicators!

:D )

I've got rough plans to run cables from the head unit to the console cubby bin so I can dock my phone in there or plug in a USB stick instead of going through the front of the head unit.

Hanging fire till I see what happens with upgrading from my iPhone 4S and going to the new connectors plus got a few other jobs in mind which would need the dash fascia to come off so in theory it'd be better idea doing it all at the same time.....just never seems to work out that way :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Some pretty good tips there cheers!

Lenny didn't realise the bluetooth module was worth that kind of money...good to know before I decide to start selling it :)

Dee have you any pictures of what you you modified your aux socket just to try get an idea of how I'm going to do this

Next step now really is to decide which headunit to go for :D

• Like 1

Some pretty good tips there cheers!

Lenny didn't realise the bluetooth module was worth that kind of money...good to know before I decide to start selling it :)

Dee have you any pictures of what you you modified your aux socket just to try get an idea of how I'm going to do this

Next step now really is to decide which headunit to go for :D

No problem mate,

All bits you no longer need see my guide here showing what can be sold when going aftermarket:

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/63689-guide-fitting-aftermarket-headunit-mk25-focus-2008-2011/

Here's my aux ports:

IMG_20141124_192912_zpsgddzzaoc.jpg

I removed the 12V socket and replaced it with USB and 3.5mm Aux

You can then easily fit the 12v socket in the boot compartment as the loom is already there see guide:

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/29774-guide-additional-12v-power-socket-in-boot-focus-mk25/

I had planned to purchase the genuine Ford centre console panel with has a pocket to hold an ipod,

But it doesn't hold the iPhone because the door wont close:

Genuine Ford pocket:

_35_zpsbv3wtur_edit_1416430265022_zpstyx

Instead i purchased this pocket from HongKong will do the same job :)

HTB1jBtfGXXXXXbtaXXXq6xXFXXXy_zpsgb8t9hw

IMG_20141209_101926_zpsuieanjsq.jpg

IMG_20141209_101934_zpst3jlhhtf.jpg

The cables to connect the Aux ports are also available in 0.5M length to avoid clutter:

IMG_20141208_111346_zpskvbl90l_edit_1418

IMG_20141215_145101_zps2vwpu8m_edit_1418

• Like 1

I've got rough plans to run cables from the head unit to the console cubby bin so I can dock my phone in there or plug in a USB stick instead of going through the front of the head unit.

Hanging fire till I see what happens with upgrading from my iPhone 4S and going to the new connectors plus got a few other jobs in mind which would need the dash fascia to come off so in theory it'd be better idea doing it all at the same time.....just never seems to work out that way :rolleyes:

id avoid going straight in to the front of the HU with a stick, firstly you'll need an adaptor to plug in to the mini usb port, then you need some luck that it doesn't get knocked in to and snaps the socket of the PCB / damages the stick, if you must use the front port id suggest using a wee extension lead rather then going directly in to it. its one of those features that are nice but not really practical to use daily

oops, wait a sec, I miss read your post, well, theres a tip for future reference anyway :)

• Like 2

No worries mate, my head unit has a USB port at the rear plus short lead for iPod (along with approx 1m of mating cable)

The front USB connection is handy for quickly trying stuff off a USB stick but not practical long term as you say, and could look attractive for some scumbag to try and steal.

:)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bringing up an old thread again but hopefully next week when I get paid I'm going to go ahead and get one of the head units.

One thing I'm curious about though is the variation of price between some of the headunits.

This is one by Asure that Troy45 said he has and is a good unit :

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/In-Car-GPS-sat-nav-DVD-Player-NAVI-for-FORD-FOCUS-Mondeo-C-MAX-S-MAX-KUGA-GALAXY-/281365164418?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_GPSSystems_GPSSystems&hash=item4182abb182#ht_7307wt_12006

but what is the main difference in comparison to this which is almost twice the price: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Radio-Navigation-fur-Ford-Mondeo-BA7-Galaxy-WA6-Focus-DB3-S-MAX-Dynavin-DVN-FOb-/391005917072?pt=Technik_Auto_Hi_Fi_Navigation_Einbau_Navigationssysteme&hash=item5b09c4cf90#ht_5716wt_1046

Just wondering are they just priced differently for the sake of it or is one actually twice as fast and better equiped than the other?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club