Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dash Cam And Car Wax

firstcar

I'm thinking of getting a dash cam but don't know if it makes my car more of a target for breaking into? Does anyone know?

Also I've been getting my car washed by American Carwash recently and they keep trying to get me to get my car waxed each time. There's a gap of 3-4 weeks between washes and they give me contradictory information on how long the wax should last - from 2 weeks to 3 months. I've written to head office but they haven't responded yet. Does anyone know how long the Autoglyn wax should last?

• Like 1

Depends on which wax it is, but also how much driving you do. I don't know anything specifically about their waxes, but a usual decent wax coat (proper hard wax) is usually 2-3 months. If it's soft liquid wax usually much less, maybe not even a couple of weeks. Also it depends on if you get a lot of rain (that'll wear it down), and if you do fast driving with lots of dirt (also wears a wax coat down).

However at a car wash they're probably using the cheap stuff (http://www.autoglym.com/products/products/aqua-wax-kit) as applying a hard wax takes way longer than they have! So they're probably right about it not lasting too long.

No advice on the dashcam front I'm afraid!

• Like 1

Most dash cans are pretty discrete, & usually sitting at the top of the screen they're hard to see unless your really looking for them.

So in a secure car I doubt a dash cam worth a few quid to a thief is going to make it that much more of a target

• Like 1

That's helpful (and makes sense) thank you. Where can I have the hard wax put on? Someone told me I could do it but it would take a few hours and I'd rather not have the sore arms I'm sure I'll have afterwards.

Do you know if the Diamondbrite the dealerships try to sell when you buy is any good?

• Like 1

For a dash cam, I've gotta recommend the forum favoured mobius, it's an excellent little bit of kit, also my mobius cradle stays up when I'm not in the car and I haven't seen anyone hanging around it, for the new one it's going to be dash mounted rather than windscreen mounted, so there's an option for you :)

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

• Like 1

Yeah I just saw that this evening...I had my eye on a Nextbase one (primarily because it is a Which? Recommended one and also as it had excellent reviews on Halfords website) but will look into the möbius tmw not least because it's £100 cheaper!!

• Like 1

I got a free Dash cam app for my iPhone and tbh it's as good as the standalone one I had in my last car.

Sits in a screen cradle and I take it out when I leave the car.

I agree the Save option doesn't work, but it DOES actually save recordings.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

I'm thinking of getting a dash cam but don't know if it makes my car more of a target for breaking into? Does anyone know?

Also

See my guide for discreet dual DVR system its fitted to a Mk2.5 focus but the principal is the same in the fiesta as it too has a glovebox :)

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/65147-guide-fitting-dual-camera-dvr-system-focus-mk2-mk25/?p=438442

If you're parked in a rough area then nothing is sacred,

The system i have installed is as discreet as it gets, nothing noticeable and the DVR has its own internal battery which will wake up and record qny movement outside the car at any time.

That's great thanks! This could well be my first venture into doing something with the car other than driving it! ☺️

On the wax front, Autoglym responded with:

When used alongside our Bodywork Shampoo Conditioner and taking into account possible weather conditions that can affect the durability we would advise upwards of 20 plus washes

• Like 1