Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Fiesta 1.6 petrol spluttering / cutting out

andy64

Hi, I bought a new Fiesta petrol 1.6, 3 months ago & until this week was very pleased with it. However a couple of days ago while I was driving through traffic in 2nd gear the engine suddenly cut out viciously - felt as if I'd slammed the brakes on - I pressed the accelerator, nothing happened then the car shuddered before the engine cut back in then all was O.K. No warning lights came on. Done nearly 400 miles since with no problems at all. Before I return to my dealer I was wondering whether anybody else has experienced this? I know the engine sometimes "surges" when the A/C is on but this was far, far worse - and the A/C was off at the time anyway. Concerned as had a similar issue with my last car - a 2002 Astra - which went on for years as dealer kept saying unable to fault, eventually had to sell it - & replaced with my new Fiesta!

Only done 300-odd miles but I had thought I felt a little misfire at around 3,000 revs on about 3 occasions, had just ignored it and put it down to my paranoia and decided to just monitor it as I am still getting used to the car so am not sure if it was me, my imagination or a possible fault ............. otherwise its been all good

There is a whirring sound, coming from behind the dash, when inserting the key ready to start the car up, but I have never had a car with Aircon, so put that down to something to do with that, even though I normally have the A/C switched off at the moment - Anyone any ideas what this noise is ??

Only done 300-odd miles but I had thought I felt a little misfire at around 3,000 revs on about 3 occasions, had just ignored it and put it down to my paranoia and decided to just monitor it as I am still getting used to the car so am not sure if it was me, my imagination or a possible fault ............. otherwise its been all good

There is a whirring sound, coming from behind the dash, when inserting the key ready to start the car up, but I have never had a car with Aircon, so put that down to something to do with that, even though I normally have the A/C switched off at the moment - Anyone any ideas what this noise is ??

Mine makes the whirring sound from behind the dash too - I think it's something to do with the Climate Control - also whirrs for a while after I've switched off & removed the keys! Must emphasise how pleased I've been with my car too - until this problem, no issues at all for the first 2,300 miles....

checked oil level?

Yes, thanks - kept a close eye on the oil level especially with it being a new car, I know that new engines can sometimes use a bit while running in - however mine hasn't used any at all since delivery (had 19.4 miles on the clock, now done 2,300) & is still showing "full to max"!

Twice in the last two days the car has felt like it wanted to cut out

Today going from 4th to 3rd uphill about 3,000 revs (travelled 5 miles so engine warm) briefly died and revived itself - Yesterday (wet and damp conditions only just travelled about a mile) at a roundabout ticking over briefly tried to die I blipped accelerator and all was ok

Less than 500 mile on the clock - worried !!!! :unsure:

Twice in the last two days the car has felt like it wanted to cut out

Today going from 4th to 3rd uphill about 3,000 revs (travelled 5 miles so engine warm) briefly died and revived itself - Yesterday (wet and damp conditions only just travelled about a mile) at a roundabout ticking over briefly tried to die I blipped accelerator and all was ok

Less than 500 mile on the clock - worried !!!! :unsure:

This sounds different to the problem which I've had, also mine was OK for the first 2,300 miles or so. Mine's been in for service today, they've updated the software on the "PCM" (apparently the new term for the ECU - Engine Control Unit) & said they believe that's cured the problem but by all means come back if it hasn't.. we'll see.

• 1 month later...
This sounds different to the problem which I've had, also mine was OK for the first 2,300 miles or so. Mine's been in for service today, they've updated the software on the "PCM" (apparently the new term for the ECU - Engine Control Unit) & said they believe that's cured the problem but by all means come back if it hasn't.. we'll see.

An update....

While the car hasn't cut out as viciously as it did on the first occasion, the problem's still there (3,300 miles now on the clock). Intermittent fault but usually seems to occur as I try to accelerate after cruising on a very light throttle now after driving for 3/4 of an hour or so - car jerks 2 or 3 times & feels as if it's going to "die" before it'll go. Been back to my local Ford dealer again since my first visit on 24 July - on the 2nd visit they claimed they'd contacted Ford who were unable to help, the dealer now stating "unable to fault as intermittent problem & no warning light on". Their advice was to either leave my car with them "for up to a couple of weeks" - with no courtesy car being available! - or to "take it away & bring it back to us if it breaks down!

Not very happy.

Sounds like it could be a fuel delivery issue, commonly known as a flat spot, and !Removed! hard to cure !

Still "playing up" & seems to be happening more frequently now. Occurs when driving along at constant speed about an hour into my journey with the A/C off - has happened recently at 70MPH in 5th gear; 40 MPH in 5th gear; 30 MPH in 4th gear; 20 MPH in 2nd gear - same issue, car hiccups, complete power loss, jerks then recovers - no warning lights, feels particularly violent when it occurs in lower gears.. Really fed up, starting to feel that I don't trust my 5 month old 3,500 mile car any more, due to take it from Sheffield to Cornwall for a holiday in 4 weeks' time (help!). I rang the (supposed) Ford Customer Relationship Centre this week and their attitude was disgusting, along the lines of "why are you calling us, take the issue up with your dealer (which I've already done twice) unless it faults while a mechanic's driving it nobody will believe that you have a problem". Now booked in for service for the 3rd time in as many months & will leave it with them for at least 3 days. Hopefully they'll be able to sort the extremely annoying passenger side dashboard rattle which has recently developed too. Absolutely gutted - was so pleased with my Fiesta until the cutting out problem started in mid July, at 3 months old..... & seemingly impossible to resolve.

'Friday afternoon car' Sounds like a flat spot headache..

If you find you cant get anywhere with dealers - write a letter to ford head office/HQ.

If you havent already cured it, it may take a while, problems with fuel failure can be tricky to mend.

Get it booked in - fingers crossed

what fuel are you filling your car up with? i.e bp, sainsburys, esso? unleaded, super unleaded?

It sounds like a fuel problem to me - or rather the electronic injection jets. That would be the first place I'd have examined/diagnosed by Ford. From what you've said Andy - ie; various speeds & gears when it happens - it sounds like it has a momentary loss [or rather "starvation"] of petrol - resulting in the brief lurch/jerk that you mention.

what fuel are you filling your car up with? i.e bp, sainsburys, esso? unleaded, super unleaded?

Hi - I've always run it on Shell V-Power unleaded

Avoid Morrisons Unleaded, especially if your one to re-fill once on the red.

I would always recomend re-filling before your light comes on anyway, Petrol dust plays a lead roll in fuel starvation.

Avoid Morrisons Unleaded, especially if your one to re-fill once on the red.

I would always recomend re-filling before your light comes on anyway, Petrol dust plays a lead roll in fuel starvation.

Thanks - Quite right! I've never used supermarket petrol, it's definitely a false economy. I also never let my tank run below 1/3rd full.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club