Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wiring A Dash Cam

CharlieFarlie

Guys I want to hard wire in an E Prance dash camera. The accessory socket in my 2010 Sport van is permanently live so would prefer to connect it so it comes on every time the ignition is switched on so I don't leave it recording all the time .

So can anyone please advise the best way to do it ? IE the location and colours of the wires to connect to ?

Thanks !

Get a 12v socket and a mini piggyback fuse holder, plug this into the fusebox behind the glovebox, there is a bolt above for the earth. Then run the camera cable behind the headlong and the door seal to the fusebox.

I think it's fuse 38 but can check.

• Like 1

Explained a bit better here, also includes links for parts.

Benefit of this method is your not cutting into any circuits and it can be easily removed.

• Like 1

Get a 12v socket and a mini piggyback fuse holder, plug this into the fusebox behind the glovebox, there is a bolt above for the earth. Then run the camera cable behind the headlong and the door seal to the fusebox.

I think it's fuse 38 but can check.

Cheers Mark. Confirmation of 38 would be great. I'm assuming it's a switched output so goes off with the ignition ?? There is a 5V dropper that can be connected to your piggy back device and replaces the accessory plug on the camera which is not only the dropper to five volts but the fuse as well. Your piggy back adapter saves locating and splicing the loom though .. Nice one cheers !

• Like 1

Just checked and its fuse 43 (active city stop) top row 2nd in from the left.

• Like 1

Alternatively you could perhaps fit a USB port inside the glovebox which would also power a Satnav when required,

See my guide for links to purchase from reliable sources: http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/65147-guide-fitting-dual-camera-dvr-system-focus-mk2-mk25/?fromsearch=1

Thanks Lenny but I think Marks way is easier for me. I had ordered the parts anyway.

Thanks again Mark.

• Like 1

Thanks Lenny but I think Marks way is easier for me. I had ordered the parts anyway.

Thanks again Mark.

No problem thanks mate just putting the options out there :)
  • Like 1

Just curious why folk want dash cams. Whats its main purpose ?

• Like 1

I suppose everyone's got there story to tell,

For me was just another feather in the cap to fit a system, aswell as having saw Jeebowhite with the car left in to mechanic gpr service they took it for a rally around town and buckled an alloy,

Thanks to dash cam all was evident and recorded,

Another member had proof ford garage sent his car back out without filling it back up with oil following a service lol

I've been driving several years now and touch wood never had an accident but nice to know its there aswell as helps tell stories about other drivers when you can upload it to YouTube

That's my story anyways.

We've got one to hopeful prove who was a fault for an accident, hopefully we don't find ourselves In that situation but, you can never tell what's going to happen, you can also connect them to work when the car is knocked in a car park, seeing as a lot of people don't own up to it.

The other half was in an accident that ended up with our first ST being written off, she still believes it was a crash for cash scam, a camera could have proved it one way or another.

It's one of those things that you'd rather have and not need, rather than need and not have. Don't have to spend much on them either.

Couple of thoughts..

I have asked this same question on a Toyota forum as I'm also putting one of these on my 2014 Toyota Rav4. My Fiesta van is my daily driver..

Anyway. Some of the advice has been to consider taking a switched live and an earth from the wiring that goes up to the dipping mirror and rain sensor for the wipers . My 2010 Sport van has these as has my Rav4.

This means doing away with the cigarette plug and using a 5V dropper of course.

So Can any of the more clever guys identify which wires going up to the mirror/wiper sensor assembly ? Also has anyone got a PDF of how to take the cover off and how to disassemble that assembly ?

Thanks !

To be honest you could wire it into any circuit, the method I used doesn't involve cutting or splicing into any other circuit, probably takes 15 minutes to run the cable and connect and can be removed just as quickly.

• Like 2

To be honest you could wire it into any circuit, the method I used doesn't involve cutting or splicing into any other circuit, probably takes 15 minutes to run the cable and connect and can be removed just as quickly.

Yes good points Mark.. I was just mulling the options over and thought it might be a decent alternative but its likely more trouble than its worth. All the parts are ordered now anyway so will stick to plan A.. Thanks !

i just got a HD dash cam that sits in the corner of the passenger corner window. i pushed the wires under the trim and the lead just reaches my socket. i leave it plugged in so when i turn my car on, the camera switches on, when i turn it off, the camera goes off. best £10 i ever spent and theres always some idiot you catch on there :)

(sorry, was responding more to the " whats its main purpose? " question)

• Like 1

Just checked and its fuse 43 (active city stop) top row 2nd in from the left.

My fuse board does not have any numbers.. I see you say top row second from the left but I'm a bit concerned cos my van is a 2010 and I'm wondering if its the same as your car ?

When I drop the glove box down my board is right there but it has no numbers that I can see and it doesn't have a lid with the fuse numbers or positions so I have no guide. There are loads of available fuse outlets but I'm unsure which one to plug into ?

Thanks !