Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is It Just Me?

jmurray01

Or is a 43AH 390CCA battery far too low for a MK1 Focus with the 1.8 Zetec engine?

Recently the Focus has been a little sluggish to start first thing in the morning and upon topping up the water I noticed that it is only 43AH with 390 Cold Cranking Amps.

The battery was already there when we bought the car and I've never paid that much attention to it, however had I replaced it I would never have used anything that low.

Am I just being a bit overcautious or am I right in thinking that it is risky having such an underpowered battery in a car with a 1.8? So far it has never failed to start so I can't really say it has been a problem, but I can't help but think that it is taking a bit of a risk.

Doesn't seem that small to me tbh. Its only a little petrol enigne! Not like its trying to turn over a heavy diesel after wasting a load of electric on glow plugs...

It is on the lower end of the scale, but I wouldn't say its too small for that car. :)

It is definitely on the small end of the scale (looking at recommended batteries). I would go with something a with a bit more capability if you are going to replace it.

I'm guessing the battery fitted is a cheap brand? A small battery would be more likely to cause issues on a car that does short stop/start journeys.

It is definitely on the small end of the scale (looking at recommended batteries). I would go with something a with a bit more capability if you are going to replace it.

I'm guessing the battery fitted is a cheap brand? A small battery would be more likely to cause issues on a car that does short stop/start journeys.

That's not as bad then, but at least I was still right in thinking it is at least a bit low.

The battery is a Motorcraft but I'm not sure if that is a cheap brand or not to be honest, is it?

Motorcraft is a genuine ford battery

That wouldn't be the original battery fitted to the car in 2000 then would it? I can't think why else the car would have a Ford battery unless it was replaced at a Ford dealership of course.

It was probably replaced under warranty or during a Ford service, might've been a fleet car to start with.

Mine had to have a new battery under warranty at less than 2 years old lol.

It could well be, to the best of my knowledge my mk1 had its original battery for nearly 10 years. The father in laws VW is 12 year old on the original battery and still going strong so its not unreasonable to think it is the original battery in my opinion.

But that said, its definitely smaller than the battery fitted to my mk1 1.6

It could well be, to the best of my knowledge my mk1 had its original battery for nearly 10 years. The father in laws VW is 12 year old on the original battery and still going strong so its not unreasonable to think it is the original battery in my opinion.

But that said, its definitely smaller than the battery fitted to my mk1 1.6

I've just done a quick Google search and apparently the 1.8 Focus was originally fitted with a 390A Motorcraft battery so it is either the original or as Tom said, was replaced under warranty.

The car has 183,000 miles on the clock so I am really struggling to believe the battery (being of a low capacity to begin with) could be 14 years old and still able to start the car every day.

I suppose it is something I'll never know!! Maybe it is the original, maybe not.

At least I have now topped up the cells with battery water (they were completely dry) so maybe I'll get another year or two out of it.

Thinking back, our 1997 Fiesta 1.25 still had its original Motorcraft battery when we bought it in 2008 and that lasted until summer of '09 when it suddenly and without warning died.

It certainly seems that Ford fitted their cars with durable and reliable batteries in the 90s/00s! Just a shame the same can't be said for the VSS :lol:

IF it is the original battery its probably the high mileage that's looked after it to be honest. stop start short trips are hard on batteries

IF it is the original battery its probably the high mileage that's looked after it to be honest. stop start short trips are hard on batteries

That is true and would also explain why it is starting to weaken now, seeing as its daily trips are 10 miles in the morning and 10 miles in the evening.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club