Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Zetec S Questions (2009-2010)

Jon Bhoy

Hiya folks,

Just joined and been trawling through lots of good info on the forums and hope you dont mind me asking a couple of questions as you seem to be the folk who are really in the know!

Have been looking for a number of months for a Zetec S around the £6 to 6.5K mark as apart from the seats i like the look of the model.

Now it may seem a bit petty but wanted folks views regarding engine size . Dont really fancy a 1.6 as i am doing a bit more motorway driving and in the past have seemed to go for 1.8 petrol engines (Never been a diesel fan,not sure why) . Now that obviously limits availability and just thought maybe then as insurance isnt an issue i might start looking at a 2 litre as an option .

So the questions i now have are :

Have people found a big difference in mpg between the 1.8 and 2 litre ?

Have people found a major difference in performace between the two ?

And in general as somone not really in the loop are there any Zetec s models to avoid ?

Not taken one for a test drive yet so really appreciate any comments/pointers if folk have the time to and are kind enough.

A very happy new year to you all :-)

Best wishes,

Jon

• Like 1

Hiya folks,

Just joined and been trawling through lots of good info on the forums and hope you dont mind me asking a couple of questions as you seem to be the folk who are really in the know!

Have been looking for a number of months for a Zetec S around the £6 to 6.5K mark as apart from the seats i like the look of the model.

Now it may seem a bit petty but wanted folks views regarding engine size . Dont really fancy a 1.6 as i am doing a bit more motorway driving and in the past have seemed to go for 1.8 petrol engines (Never been a diesel fan,not sure why) . Now that obviously limits availability and just thought maybe then as insurance isnt an issue i might start looking at a 2 litre as an option .

So the questions i now have are :

Have people found a big difference in mpg between the 1.8 and 2 litre ?

Have people found a major difference in performace between the two ?

And in general as somone not really in the loop are there any Zetec s models to avoid ?

Not taken one for a test drive yet so really appreciate any comments/pointers if folk have the time to and are kind enough.

A very happy new year to you all :-)

Best wishes,

Jon

Hi Jon,

The zetecS is a standard focus with lower springs and a body kit, I've built my own :)

The chassis is the same 2005-2011 zetecS was on facelift model 2008-2011 designed by jari matti fords rally driver back then in 2008

ford-m-sport-cad-design-540x334.jpg

There's a common problem with all focus hatch 2005-2011 where the rubber hose for rear window washer rubs off the body causing rust see here:

Image0414j.jpg

Easy fix,

another common issue is the seals on the boot spoiler give way and boot leaks,

Just silicon around bolts never happens again,

Avoid the 1.6 petrol no mods for it no potential,

Avoid 1.6TDCi and 2.0TDCi there Citroen engines

Best advice i can give you is to purchase a 1.8TDCi blank the egr valve, fit a green cotton induction filter and nd remap it,

Get around 58mpg and 150bhp under the bonnet,

Best engine in the range and completely bullet proof, no dpf neither,

Fit a nice duplex exhaust to finish the rear end.

• Like 1

Hi and welcome,

Just to add my opinion as well, I have a 2009 2.0 TDCI which I've owned from 6 months old with 6k on the clock, it's now got 57k and not had any issues at all with the engine, returns decent mpg around town at about 47mpg going upwards on motorway driving.

Just my thoughts

• Like 1

Many thanks for the warm welcome Gents,really appreciate it.

Wow Lenny thats a real good post giving me ideas to look out for . I like the look of the S especially three door (Siler or White with the tinted rear looks superb even if the GF tells me she wouldnt get in a white one with me as its to Essex haha) and seems the only car on the market of that age thats got a bit of the old hot hatch look to it. As i say it is a shame Ford did not pay more attention to the seats and colour of interior but still miles ahead of the greay plastic Astra interiors!!!!

The diesel does sound pretty good but so set in my ways i am sticking out for petrol . Yeah i know,im like !Removed! Jeremy Clarkson ;-)

Thanks again guys,really is appreciated and always open to some advice as i am new to Fords again so taking in all the info i can.

Happy new year guys.

• Like 2

I think the 1.6tdci is great, despite its French origins and stupid design, whats more, every day you get home without it exploding is like Christmas all over again! :)

• Like 2

Many thanks for the warm welcome Gents,really appreciate it.

Wow Lenny thats a real good post giving me ideas to look out for . I like the look of the S especially three door (Siler or White with the tinted rear looks superb even if the GF tells me she wouldnt get in a white one with me as its to Essex haha) and seems the only car on the market of that age thats got a bit of the old hot hatch look to it. As i say it is a shame Ford did not pay more attention to the seats and colour of interior but still miles ahead of the greay plastic Astra interiors!!!!

The diesel does sound pretty good but so set in my ways i am sticking out for petrol . Yeah i know,im like !Removed! Jeremy Clarkson ;-)

Thanks again guys,really is appreciated and always open to some advice as i am new to Fords again so taking in all the info i can.

Happy new year guys.

No problem,

ZetecS skirts & Spoiler are identical to the ST so an ST replica only requires changing front & rear bumpers grills and color code the bonnet lip,

Piper performance exhausts also manufacture an off the shelf duplex exhaust :)

And ive done a guide on fitting the ST pod,

You can always swap the seats out for some ST Recaro's

Image2327.jpg

IMG_20130521_131934_zpsdeb4d67e.jpg

Image1581.jpg

• Like 1

Dee the getting home bit did make me laugh!!

Lenny i did think about changing the seats but just wish there was some company that could do an improved colour on the inside.Just looks a bit of a naff colour scheme although the layout itself is actually very nice. My budget is a bit limited and was shocked when the insurance folk wanted £300 extra for an exhaust upgrade! So it is the gamble of doing it and not mentioning it or paying way over the odds . However do think a nice exhaust note is far better than the standard non existant one.

• Like 1

Just seen your pod guide too Lenny......you Sir are a Focus genius ! Really know your stuff and think it is fantastic that you dont mind passing on tips and making up guides like that....what a star!!!

• Like 3

I think the 1.6tdci is great, despite its French origins and stupid design, whats more, every day you get home without it exploding is like Christmas all over again! :)

Lmfao I've the 1.6TDCi pushing 35bhp more than stock now at 190,000km on factory turbo.

churchill_dog-website20pic.jpg

What's the secret?

Gutted DPF

Blanked EGR

Wynn's engine flush on every oil change

Dee the getting home bit did make me laugh!!

Lenny i did think about changing the seats but just wish there was some company that could do an improved colour on the inside.Just looks a bit of a naff colour scheme although the layout itself is actually very nice. My budget is a bit limited and was shocked when the insurance folk wanted £300 extra for an exhaust upgrade! So it is the gamble of doing it and not mentioning it or paying way over the odds . However do think a nice exhaust note is far better than the standard non existant one.

You can fit a duplex exit to the stock exhaust so thats technically attaching a tip not upgrading lol

Same results on appearance,

Focus116.jpg

I've had a 9000rpm 1.6 twin-cam Toyota Levin BZR with Yamaha throttle body induction before,

To be honest you get sick of the rasp Bwaap pit thong, pit thong, id keep it subtle but tastefully modified.

IMG_20131019_161408_zps5452d1f0.jpg

Image3813_zps0fb06f57.jpg

Just seen your pod guide too Lenny......you Sir are a Focus genius ! Really know your stuff and think it is fantastic that you dont mind passing on tips and making up guides like that....what a star!!!

Thanks very much mate,

I enjoy sharing ideas with others,

Cant stand those whom post up a picture and say "look what i did" then don't share knowledge,

That's what a good forum is all about sharing interests and knowledge

See my profile page for links to all my guides add me as your friend for easy shortcut to my profile from yours

• Like 3

No problem,

ZetecS skirts & Spoiler are identical to the ST so an ST replica only requires changing front & rear bumpers grills and color code the bonnet lip,

Piper performance exhausts also manufacture an off the shelf duplex exhaust :)

And ive done a guide on fitting the ST pod,

You can always swap the seats out for some ST Recaro's

Image2327.jpg

IMG_20130521_131934_zpsdeb4d67e.jpg

Image1581.jpg

Whats the head unit you have in there Lenny ? Looking for something with a good size screen and dont fancy going for one of the eBay units from China.

• Like 1

Whats the head unit you have in there Lenny ? Looking for something with a good size screen and dont fancy going for one of the Ebay units from China.

Well my current project on my build thread is sound proofing the body and upgrading the Speakers,

Link to my build thread at the point where sound upgrade more/less begins:

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/41443-taking-oval-to-blue-horizon-lennys-build-thread-2010-2015/page-54

So I've just recently fitted a pioneer Avh-x8600bt ticks all the boxes and supports CarPlay allowing you to send/receive texts, emails or calls using your voice while driving.

IMG_20141122_081653_zpsjmp2jbiq.jpg

I've recently created guides on:

Upgrading Focus headunit to aftermarket:

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/63689-guide-fitting-aftermarket-headunit-mk25-focus-2008-2011/

Fitting a reverse camera:

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/65470-guide-fitting-reverse-camera-mk25-focus-2008-2011/

Installing custom 10" sub enclosure:

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/63695-guide-fitting-custom-amp-sub-enclosure-mk2-mk25-focus-2005-2011/

Weather your budget is 200 or 600 there's a pioneer double Din headunit for you,

Unbeatable value and sound.

• Like 1

aye There are some great mods to be done from Lennys list.
  • Like 2

Have to admit the last decent exhaust i had was in the 90's (Had major health problems for 18 years hence now only just getting back into the modding game) which was a Peco Big Bore 4 on a Renault 5 GT Turbo . Amazing note from it but way to big for the bodywork so got a huge clunk noise on each bump......but still miss the acceleration noise . Ok might be now in my 40's but got a long way to go before i grow up haha.

Love the pic of it on the bike too....brilliant!!!!

Ok hijacking a little bit just looking at some used Zetec S's online and spotted one that looks like it has a styling mod on the climate control area . Ever seen anything like it or is it a cheap chinese thing a bit like the head unit thats fitted above it ?

http://postimg.org/image/lf8mfdd2r/

• Like 1

Have to admit the last decent exhaust i had was in the 90's (Had major health problems for 18 years hence now only just getting back into the modding game) which was a Peco Big Bore 4 on a Renault 5 GT Turbo . Amazing note from it but way to big for the bodywork so got a huge clunk noise on each bump......but still miss the acceleration noise . Ok might be now in my 40's but got a long way to go before i grow up haha.

Love the pic of it on the bike too....brilliant!!!!

Ok hijacking a little bit just looking at some used Zetec S's online and spotted one that looks like it has a styling mod on the climate control area . Ever seen anything like it or is it a cheap chinese thing a bit like the head unit thats fitted above it ?

http://postimg.org/image/lf8mfdd2r/

Haven't heard the name Peco exhaust in years not since 1998 when id be reading Maxpower and Redline magazines :lol:

The heater controls on that model are premium spec electronic climate control:

With those you can set the cars temperature to a set degree say 22.5°C the fan will come on and off automatically to maintain that set temperature :)

The headunit is also genuine ford satellite navigation system,

Bit outdated now but has good resale value for those whom love the genuine Ford stuff.

Sat nave GPS aerial is behind mirror glass in the drivers side wing mirror,

Resale on the headunit would be 180-200 pounds on eBay, if i5 has a bluetooth module thats a further 70 pounds

Say 250 profit at worst selling both on eBay,

That's a nice bit of discount off your pioneer :)

Ah,hadnt seen the climate control like that before but head unit had seen a fair number of times . I got to find something to catch you out on......but might be here a long time trying haha ;-)

Yep thats where i used to get most of my parts was the ad section in Max Power.....before T'internet came about. Guess Peco must have gone under or something as i looked as soon as i thought about the Focus to see if they did anything....and "they" seem to be no more . Shame really,great back boxes.

• Like 1

Ah,hadnt seen the climate control like that before but head unit had seen a fair number of times . I got to find something to catch you out on......but might be here a long time trying haha ;-)

Yep thats where i used to get most of my parts was the ad section in Max Power.....before T'internet came about. Guess Peco must have gone under or something as i looked as soon as i thought about the Focus to see if they did anything....and "they" seem to be no more . Shame really,great back boxes.

Ah im in my fifth year of forum membership and a father of three not much i haven't saw at this point lol

Peco were still in operation back in 2006 i used to be on the uk starlet forum and there were a few members there with peco exhausts,

Nowadays its piper performance, magnaflow, Remus or mongoose

Heres my first car from back then :lol:

Picture005.jpg

13072009478.jpg

• Like 1

Its like something from Waynes World mate ;-)

• Like 1

Lenny really knows his chips when it comes to the Focii. The 1.8 Duratec HE engine of that era (I have one) is a bit crap on mpg, I get about 35/40 on a run and low 20s around town (the car needs a !Removed! good run though). Good thing is that it is tuned to run on E85, so I assume that with the Government wanting to dilute petrol more and more, the 1.8 won't mind one jot. But I could be wrong!

Sent from my Gen 1 WAP phone

• Like 2

Lenny really knows his chips when it comes to the Focii. The 1.8 Duratec HE engine of that era (I have one) is a bit crap on mpg, I get about 35/40 on a run and low 20s around town (the car needs a !Removed! good run though). Good thing is that it is tuned to run on E85, so I assume that with the Government wanting to dilute petrol more and more, the 1.8 won't mind one jot. But I could be wrong!

Sent from my Gen 1 WAP phone

Wow thats a LOT lower mpg around town than i thought you would get :-(

• Like 1

I concur the 1.8 petrol is a thirsty engine, my old 58 plate estate did early 30's at best doing mixed mileage.

Seen a few mixed posts regarding MPG and seems most reckon Motorway you can get 35-40 at best and around town low to mid 20's so im guessing not far off what you are saying Kevin?

Did see one guy mention some folk mentioning a tyre upgrade or something with the Zetec S when 18's have been added with the sportpack but had not been updated on the ECU at Fords which caused a slight issue with petrol,but didnt take it fully in so will have to look at that again .

Mind you at moment i am borrowing a V Reg Rover 214 and putting in £40 to fill the tank and getting about £200 miles so Focus has to be an improvement on that!

Hi & welcome . As most owners token alot of hints from Lenny(Legend across the pond).

I went for the Titanium spec for extra goodies. I wanted Zetec s but is very basic inside whilst st is awesome but pricey & high on insurance & heavy on fuel, plus i wanted facelift version & were pricey , above my budget. So bought this. Which was cheapest 10 plate i could find & from a dealer.although i had a more grunty 2.0 mk1.5 esp fully loaded this is not the same league. As its a 1.6 , But still ok.

Started like this

post-39671-142039777514_thumb.jpg

Currently with lots of extras

post-39671-142039782599_thumb.jpg

post-39671-14203978486_thumb.jpg

post-39671-142039788857_thumb.jpg

post-39671-142039795773_thumb.jpg

In my opinion better than zetec-s as you have more toys to play. Btw only missing sideskirts which are hard to find used for a 5dr.

Yunii

post-39671-142039793796_thumb.jpg

post-39671-142039797492_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

This is what i had before which i miss so much

post-39671-142039817706_thumb.jpgpost-39671-14203982159_thumb.jpgpost-39671-142039817706_thumb.jpgpost-39671-142039827105_thumb.jpg

This was full loaded & no expense spared.

Yunii