Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guide: Fitting Reverse Camera Mk2.5 Focus 2008 - 2011

Lenny

Just now, aaronm13 said:

Cool. Thanks for that. There's a lot of cables there so I'm sure it's one of them. They all seemed to be labeled too. 

If it plays DVD then there Should be one for handbrake cable

and another one then for the reverse cable. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lenny said:

If it plays DVD then there Should be one for handbrake cable

and another one then for the reverse cable. 

I'll look for either of those cables then splice it into. Thanks so much for your help tonight. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, aaronm13 said:

I'll look for either of those cables then splice it into. Thanks so much for your help tonight. 

No problem,

For the handbrake cable you will need to extend it by a few feet and remove the centre console to splice it in to the cable on the side of the handbrake, I can guide you on removing that too if required 😅 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lenny said:

No problem,

For the handbrake cable you will need to extend it by a few feet and remove the centre console to splice it in to the cable on the side of the handbrake, I can guide you on removing that too if required 😅 

I really hope there's a reverse cables. This is getting tricky and way over my head. Ha.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, aaronm13 said:

I really hope there's a reverse cables. This is getting tricky and way over my head. Ha.

There will be a cable; at the rear of the headunit to connect the rca & sensor feed to.

But you also need to connect the camera end in to the reverse loom in the boot compartment; that's the green/orange positive reverse cable inside the left passenger side of the boot compartment panel

Image1449_zpso03xtomn.jpg

this powers the camera when in reverse and sends signal down the red wire to tell the headunit to change to reverse view.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2017 at 10:33 PM, Lenny said:

There will be a cable; at the rear of the headunit to connect the rca & sensor feed to.

But you also need to connect the camera end in to the reverse loom in the boot compartment; that's the green/orange positive reverse cable inside the left passenger side of the boot compartment panel

Image1449_zpso03xtomn.jpg

this powers the camera when in reverse and sends signal down the red wire to tell the headunit to change to reverse view.

Came across this wire when I fitted the parking sensors. I splice the red into the green/yellow wire and do I connect the black to the nut in the body like the parking sensors or into the black of the reverse light? still haven't got a few spare hours to have a go at it yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aaronm13 said:

Came across this wire when I fitted the parking sensors. I splice the red into the green/yellow wire and do I connect the black to the nut in the body like the parking sensors or into the black of the reverse light? still haven't got a few spare hours to have a go at it yet.

I'd splice in to the earth cable instead of using a bolt because it's a video camera it's sensitive to voltage noise which there can be alot of this going through the chassis as everything is earthed to it to return circuit to the battery.

the noise will cause your screen to be fuzzy like a tv with rabbits ears.

earth it to the black of the reverse light and if you still get interference you can fit a "ground loop isolator" to the video feed at a later date.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Lenny said:

I'd splice in to the earth cable instead of using a bolt because it's a video camera it's sensitive to voltage noise which there can be alot of this going through the chassis as everything is earthed to it to return circuit to the battery.

the noise will cause your screen to be fuzzy like a tv with rabbits ears.

earth it to the black of the reverse light and if you still get interference you can fit a "ground loop isolator" to the video feed at a later date.

Perfect Lenny, thanks. Practically have this fitted in my head at this stage with all your help and you tube videos I'm watching. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aaronm13 said:

Perfect Lenny, thanks. Practically have this fitted in my head at this stage with all your help and you tube videos I'm watching. 

That's the way to do it 👍

• Like 1

I wonder if anyone can help? A fortnight ago I purchased a 85 plate titanium which had a reverse camera fitted (the one that covers the number plate light) the garage selling had replaced the boot handle and when I picked the car up I was told oh it has a reversing camera but we can't get it to work!

No probs I thought it's probably a setting in the head unit, but sadly it doesn't seem that it is. I've noticed the number plate light on the camera wasn't working so took the trim from the boot and noticed this. IMG_7641.JPG

ive twisted the wires together to see what happens and the number plate light now works.

when I put the car into reverse the screen changes,but there's no image from the camera and going through the menus on the stereo I get a "no signal" I'm guessing it's something to do with the wiring bfhind the headunit?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Commencal24 said:

I wonder if anyone can help? A fortnight ago I purchased a 85 plate titanium which had a reverse camera fitted (the one that covers the number plate light) the garage selling had replaced the boot handle and when I picked the car up I was told oh it has a reversing camera but we can't get it to work!

No probs I thought it's probably a setting in the head unit, but sadly it doesn't seem that it is. I've noticed the number plate light on the camera wasn't working so took the trim from the boot and noticed this. IMG_7641.JPG

ive twisted the wires together to see what happens and the number plate light now works.

when I put the car into reverse the screen changes,but there's no image from the camera and going through the menus on the stereo I get a "no signal" I'm guessing it's something to do with the wiring bfhind the headunit?

Hi,

I see the red & black cables in your hand there and I assume they are the cables for the registration plate light👍

the other two cables the black & they yellow are for video signal; 

the black will be an earth feed the same as the black for the registration light, 

The yellow is quit worrying to see it cut to be honest as it should have two seperate copper strands inside it; when cut like that they can be an absolute nightmare to rejoin because the copper strands are so fine like hairs. 

It's well worth a try though.

is there another set of a yellow and a black cable to join them to? 

If there's not then it's most likely the RCA cable isint plugged in to the rear of the headunit, although you did say the screen changes when you put it in to reverse so that means there is a cable going from the reverse light inside the boot compartment to the headunit which causes the screen to switch,

So the other side of that "yellow&black" cable can't be too far away.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Lenny said:

Hi,

I see the red & black cables in your hand there and I assume they are the cables for the registration plate light👍

the other two cables the black & they yellow are for video signal; 

the black will be an earth feed the same as the black for the registration light, 

The yellow is quit worrying to see it cut to be honest as it should have two seperate copper strands inside it; when cut like that they can be an absolute nightmare to rejoin because the copper strands are so fine like hairs. 

It's well worth a try though.

is there another set of a yellow and a black cable to join them to? 

If there's not then it's most likely the RCA cable isint plugged in to the rear of the headunit, although you did say the screen changes when you put it in to reverse so that means there is a cable going from the reverse light inside the boot compartment to the headunit which causes the screen to switch,

So the other side of that "yellow&black" cable can't be too far away.

It's the yellow and black that are the wires for registration light, and the black and red that comes from the camera.

I didn't see another yellow and black but tbh I didn't look that much as I assumed the red and black should've been the ones joined to it.

I'll have a closer look tomorrow and let you know 👍🏼

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Commencal24 said:

It's the yellow and black that are the wires for registration light, and the black and red that comes from the camera.

I didn't see another yellow and black but tbh I didn't look that much as I assumed the red and black should've been the ones joined to it.

I'll have a closer look tomorrow and let you know 👍🏼

There will be 5 cables in total,

2 for the registration plate 

2 for powering the camera 

1 for the video will be an RCA in to the back of the headunit. 

37 minutes ago, Lenny said:

There will be 5 cables in total,

2 for the registration plate 

2 for powering the camera 

1 for the video will be an RCA in to the back of the headunit. 

Ok

ive a yellow and black from the number plate light, a red and black from the camera which runs into a red and yellow rca, I assume the yellow goes towards the head unit and the red cones from the reverse light?

• Like 1

Got finished work early today so went at fitting the camera. Took me a good few hours but got it fitted and working perfectly. Really happy with it. Thanks so much for all your help, couldn't have done it without you Lenny. No to find details my next project. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, aaronm13 said:

Got finished work early today so went at fitting the camera. Took me a good few hours but got it fitted and working perfectly. Really happy with it. Thanks so much for all your help, couldn't have done it without you Lenny. No to find details my next project. 

Glad you got it fitted mate cheers,

If you use the boot for tools; perhaps fit some DRL strips to both sides underneath the plastic panels wired in to the existing boot light.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lenny said:

Glad you got it fitted mate cheers,

If you use the boot for tools; perhaps fit some DRL strips to both sides underneath the plastic panels wired in to the existing boot light.

It's really the wife's car even though we both bought it, if I put any tools near it I'll be in trouble. My van is for tools and work. Think I'm going to put a camera into that next, would be so handy for parking because of the size of it. 

The Focus model is a style so I'm thinking of the center console upgrade with the arm rest. Have you done this one. Going to be tricky to pick one up for Ireland so will be expensive to get one from the uk even using Parcel Motel. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Commencal24 said:

Ok

ive a yellow and black from the number plate light, a red and black from the camera which runs into a red and yellow rca, I assume the yellow goes towards the head unit and the red comes from the reverse light?

The reverse camera needs power 

have you traced the cable and discovered the red & black from the camera runs into a red and yellow rca? 

Or is that the theroy? 

1 minute ago, aaronm13 said:

It's really the wife's car even though we both bought it, if I put any tools near it I'll be in trouble. My van is for tools and work. Think I'm going to put a camera into that next, would be so handy for parking because of the size of it. 

The Focus model is a style so I'm thinking of the center console upgrade with the arm rest. Have you done this one. Going to be tricky to pick one up for Ireland so will be expensive to get one from the uk even using Parcel Motel. 

My focus was also a style but came with the centre console armrest section already fitted as part of the factory fitted cruise control comfort package. 

Keep an eye out for breakers on DoneDeal aswell as eBay, there's a large breakers in Armagh I think there called Thorntons they have thousands of cars shipping would be as much.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lenny said:

My focus was also a style but came with the centre console armrest section already fitted as part of the factory fitted cruise control comfort package. 

Keep an eye out for breakers on DoneDeal aswell as eBay, there's a large breakers in Armagh I think there called Thorntons they have thousands of cars shipping would be as much.

Cheers for the tip, I'll look them up. The console looks a lot better with the arm rest but was just looking on eBay and there is quite a few for sale but also noticed aftermarket armrests, have you any experience with these. Would be a lot cheaper  and the only thing missing then worse the 12v point but don't think that would matter. Would probably be a lot less work, just wondering how they would looked compared to the proper console 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, aaronm13 said:

Cheers for the tip, I'll look them up. The console looks a lot better with the arm rest but was just looking on ebay and there is quite a few for sale but also noticed aftermarket armrests, have you any experience with these. Would be a lot cheaper  and the only thing missing then worse the 12v point but don't think that would matter. Would probably be a lot less work, just wondering how they would looked compared to the proper console 

I've not had any experience with the aftermarket armrest section, personally i prefer to use Genuine parts as much as possible aswell as tweaking the genuine parts to show ford how they could have done it better 😅 such as the clear fog light unit.

I've removed my 12V socket from the armrest and replaced with an AUX port and USB which are linked to the headunit 

IMG_20141124_192912_zpsgddzzaoc.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lenny said:

I've not had any experience with the aftermarket armrest section, personally i prefer to use Genuine parts as much as possible aswell as tweaking the genuine parts to show ford how they could have done it better 😅 such as the clear fog light unit.

I've removed my 12V socket from the armrest and replaced with an AUX port and USB which are linked to the headunit 

IMG_20141124_192912_zpsgddzzaoc.jpg

These actually look pretty decent compared to the cheap looking ones on ebay 

https://www.armster.co.uk/shop/ford-focus-2015-with-usbaux-armster-s-armrest

Micks garage has them too for around the €60 mark too but don't look as good. The genuine console looks like more hassle then the gain id get out of it unless I could get a decent one local. Summerhill spares is close to me but they rarely have anything out of the norm. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, aaronm13 said:

These actually look pretty decent compared to the cheap looking ones on ebay 

https://www.armster.co.uk/shop/ford-focus-2015-with-usbaux-armster-s-armrest

Micks garage has them too for around the €60 mark too but don't look as good. The genuine console looks like more hassle then the gain id get out of it unless I could get a decent one local. Summerhill spares is close to me but they rarely have anything out of the norm. 

That one in the link from armster there does look pretty seamless when installed mate, 

It's difficult to find descent parts from breakers over here, I'm looking for a set of 16" alloys and most are kerbed to bits or buckled square 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Lenny said:

The reverse camera needs power 

have you traced the cable and discovered the red & black from the camera runs into a red and yellow rca? 

Or is that the theroy? 

I think the wires from the other side of the number plate light is powering the camera as the little light at the side of the camera wasn't working either until I twisted together the yellow and red wires. The red and black then go into the camera 

Sorry for the poor picture but it's a little dark outside 

IMG_7643.JPG

This wire comes out of the camera with the red and yellow rca

8 minutes ago, Lenny said:

That one in the link from armster there does look pretty seamless when installed mate, 

It's difficult to find descent parts from breakers over here, I'm looking for a set of 16" alloys and most are kerbed to bits or buckled square 

It looks good alright. Might order it up. Not even sure I'll need the USB there as I've two in the glove compartment and I pretty much connect with bluetooth anyway. 

• Like 1